Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 10s
Overall Rank = 11,149/
Age Group = F30-35
Age Group Rank = 651/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate half of a Oatmeal/raisin powerbar and some water. Judy dropped Matt and I off at the starting line.
Event warmup:

Walking from the drop-off point to our starting area
Run
  • 1h 04m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling really great. I was excited to finally have Matt along side me for a race rather than cheering me on from the sidelines. The race was packed!!! Lots of people, not much room to run. I had my foot kicked out from under me 3 times, luckily I did not fall or else I probably would have been trampled. The first half I felt good, but on the bridge my acid reflux kicked in and I had pressure in my chest and buring in the back of my throat. I told Matt I needed to walk for a minute and hopes that the burning would subside. While we were on the bridge there was a Citadel Marine pushing a guy in wheelchair who has lost his legs. The guy was maybe 25 years old, so sad.

I tried to get some water after we got off of the bridge, but it did not help. I could tell Matt was going slower for me, but he kept saying "are you ok?" That's when I realized, if he ever races with me again to let him run his own race and we can meet at the finish line. Granted I loved that as we approached the finish line he reached for my hand and we crossed the line together, but I hated the feeling of holding him back. Of course after the race, he tells his family that we could have gone faster if he did not stay with me. Ugg, that was annoying! I'm no speed-demon, but for me to run a 10:30 pace was really good since it's hard to do speed training with my stomach issues. Anyway, when I heard him make that comment, I felt like it deminished my accomplishment. I know he did not mean it to be hurtful, but just bummed me out.
What would you do differently?:

Tell my husband I'll meet him at the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the expo and got some water and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

acid reflux issues

Last updated: 2007-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:10 | 06.21 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 651/
Overall: 11149/
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point course. The only hill is the incline on the bridge, but it was not too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes