General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica National Triathlon Series - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriAmerica National Triathlon Series - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 20m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

3:50 wakeup, made a cup of coffee and ate a bananna and was out the door to pickup John and Cameron for the long drive out. Got to the event at ~ 6:15 and found a nice spot up close. We got our packets, did the morning duty, then got prepped for taking all the stuff into the transition.
Event warmup:

10 minutes before the start I reach into my backpack to grap a gel and I realized I don't have on my chip, IT'S IN THE CAR! So with the wetsuit already on up to the waist, I hit the gel as and ran out to the car and found it laying in the back. Thankfully we parked pretty close to the event and not a 1/2 mile away in the main lot! I ran back to the swim start and was now warmed up. I was able to stand around for a few minutes or so looking at wind driven waves on the lake like every one else was...
Swim
  • 53m 30s
  • 2187 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy smokes this was a tough swim! When the wind is cutting across the course at a 45 degree angle between 15-25 mph, it gets tough out in the deep water. On the out leg I kept the pace easy and kept on going off to the right until I figured out that its the wind the keeps blowing me that way. I had to swim diagonally at times to go straight! On the across leg, it was head on into the waves, the non-periodic kind where every 2-4 breaths a wave drives over you and you have to fight for air. This was the slowest part for me as I had to fight for sighting and air. I actually had to kick! I finally noticed a very large flag pole on the horizon that I could easily use for reference. On the return leg I was just trying to stay relaxed and once I got to where the sprint swimmers joined in I was able to draft some here and there. The waters were relatively calmer closer to shore and I was able to finish strong with good form.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster on the way out when I had the chance! Nothing really can prep you for a rough water swim except rough water swim training and I did none of that this spring.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

Long run into the T from the water, but I was able to jog at a pretty good clip. I didn't feel tired or wobbly while putting on my socks and shoes so I’m much improved fitness wise!

Bike was in the perfect gear for the start and the pedals in the right spot, glad I practiced this a few times.

Not too much, maybe bring a pan and have it filled already so I can dip my feet in before I shoe up.
Bike
  • 2h 01m
  • 37.28 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

ACK, a short steep hill right out of the gate, then a short slight down hill with a sharp turn, a short downhill getting speed then right sweeper leading to another up short steep hill all within the first 1/2 mile or so. I'm going to BT route this sucker for the profile! Then the winds were again a serious factor. Heading out of the town was a solid tailwind and I was cruising along between 25 and 30 mph without breathing hard! It rained for a short period of time on the 1st lap at about the 5 mile point, so taking the sharp corners meant really having to slow down. Going up the hills, I was passed maybe 2-3 times and passed quite a few riders, so I felt really good about that. With the cross-winds though, they would play games with you, so you had to stay focused all the time. You could tell on the horizon the nasty stuff was still coming. The return for some reason didn't feel as bad as I thought it would be, until afterwards it was mentioned that it was a gradual downhill, so that helped to offset the headwinds!

On the 2nd lap the winds out of town felt stiffer and then at about the 25 mile point the skies let loose with a serious down pour and winds that driving a car in would have been difficult. It rained so hard that I had to wipe off the inside of my wrap around glasses to see. The roads quickly turned into rivers and crossing the mini rivers going across the road was a bit nerve wracking. At this point it was difficult to tell where any of the road pot-holes or cracks were so I stayed in the area between the tire tracks or the road crown, whatever had less water. I hit one or two areas that I prayed would not pinch flat me. Several riders were down through the race most likely with pinch flats. At the turn around, one brave volunteer was still out handing out water and I thanked him. Then it got every bad for about 5 minutes, the winds and rains were now torrential, harder then ever and as I was just finished climbing a small hill I was blown all the way across the road, I nearly stunk myself! All I could do was hold on and prey that if I went down it wouldn't hurt a lot. I had one bright lightning flash with thunder 2 seconds later and I was ready to dive off the bike but then the next ones were all were moving further away. Just before the turn back towards town, the winds instantly shifted direction and the air turned cooler. What was a head cross-wind before was now a tailing cross-wind, so heading into town I was able to carry good speed without a lot of effort, which I needed as the time spent in the rain and winds really slowed me down.

Heading back towards the transition was a dubious issue, the inverse of the start with a steep downhill, on a wet road, with tree debris everywhere. Whoa Nelly!

Nutrition wise, I nailed it. 3 scoop mix of Perpetuem, one gel and 3 electrolyte caps and some water, and I didn't drink too much as I had plenty of rain water!

AND DRUM ROLL PLEASE I pee'd on the bike, not once but twice! Easy to do coasting down hills and it raining hard on you!

Besides wishing I wore my goggles and ear plugs! Not nuch really given the circumstances. I would like a different granny gear though, the 23 isn't small enough for climbing when tired! I can see the need for a race wheel fitted with cogs setup for the particular race at hand.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Ok off the bike over the timing mat into......mud, water and goop everywhere. Oh my god, the transition area was flooded, there were newly formed mini ponds and muched grass/tree pollen organic stuff everywhere on everything that was on the ground. Well, I placed my running shoes under my backpack in case it rained but this was a Noah's type rain and flood so it didn't matter. Luckily my rack was on "higher" ground only one sneaker was truely soaked with water, while the other one was much less wet. I took the time to change my socks for some reason as they were dry being in the water tight compartment, I definitely must not have been thinking all the straight at the time! This was the first race I used a fuel belt and I strapped it one as I was running out the transition.

Maybe not bother with changing the soaking wet socks for dry ones as the shoes were already wet!
Run
  • 1h 19m 41s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

The run time surprised me. Out of the gate I felt sluggish, had a little knot on the bottom of my right foot, and the shoe that was soaked with water in the transition squished on every step I took on it for the whole run! I had focus on settling down, did a 30 second quick stride count and started to looked around at faces. The wind was now stiff off of the lake and for the first & last 3/4 mile or so of a lap you felt it. It was a nice tail wind on the way out, but forced you to lean into it on the way in and work on form. I somehow missed the 1 mile marker so I did the 1st pace check at 2 miles, wow 17:15, an 8:37 pace! I was feeling good and took a hit of the gel flask and an electrolyte cap and settled in. I repeated the nutrition every 2-3 miles. Just before the turn-around was a nice gentle downhill for 100 yards or so, that you had to climb right away on the return. This hill was a lot tougher on the 2nd lap and as I passed two runmers I gave them some words of encouragement. The first lap return I was just in a zone and non-adventurous, another time check and then I hit the 1st lap time checkpoint. Start of the 2nd lap was nice with the wind pushing me out back. I came upon a female runner who was running 100% on the balls of her feet, heals didn’t touch the ground once. I asked her if she was Pose running and she stated “kind of I guess”, she said she has run like this her whole life and gets asked every once in awhile. Once back into the wooded areas I had to work on form and when I hit the turn-around again I took my last gel hit and some electrolytes and worked all the way in. My head was starting to get hot, but yet my body had a chill from the wet trisuit, so I zipped up and took off the hat for a solid run to the finish.

Nothing! Using the 4 bottle fuel belt was ideal. One bottle was filled with a 2 e-gel/water mix and the others with water, with one basically for my dumping on my head. With the wind and temps staying cool was not a problem.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Cameron and John at the finish, we chatted and grabbed some food. It was getting cooler and nastier out so I changed and were off within 20-30 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The freaking weather!

Event comments:

Well I did it, I placed squarely MOP, accomplishing a goal for my all races this year, 3 more to go. I sure would like to do this race on a nice sunny cool day with normal winds, maybe next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:30 | 2187 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/26
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes
Course: Retangular course with a long out, short across and long back. Water temps an estimate.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:01:00 | 37.28 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/26
CPU stated 2:01:05 for 37.8 miles (18.7 avg) max speed was 36.2 mph.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 laps of an out and back course with some steep hills and longer "rolling" hills. The bike course was officially 60k or 37.28 miles, Roads varied from smooth to rough.
Road:  Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:41 | 9.32 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/26
Mile 2 - 0:17:15 - 8:37 pace Mile 4 - 0:17:21 - 8:40 pace Mile 6 - 0:17:02 - 8:31 pace Mile 8 - 0:17:14 - 8:37 pace Last 1.32 - 0:10:56 - 8:17 pace
Course: Two laps of an out and back course. Paved nature trail flat near the lake with a nice little downhill before the turnaround that turned into a nice little uphill on the way back. The trail was protected from the elements once away from the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: TriAmerica National Triathlon Series - Long Course

2007-04-16 5:56 PM
in reply to: #763757

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: TriAmerica National Triathlon Series - Long Course

Nice job Don. Tough conditions on some long segments. Those type of races definately make you stronger. Great RR - I liked your warm-up and congrats on peeing on the bike. Wink I wonder if we'll both be as bold on a sunny day. I hope we get to find out.

2007-04-19 1:08 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Great job on your race! Maybe an IM in your future?  We could do IMLP in 2009!  The swim sounded tough, but I'm envious of your bike times. I hope to work on my cycling power a lot once I recover.  I'll need to follow your lead.  Once again, nice race!
2007-04-19 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Wow, wind, rain, lightning, thunder, road conditions, mud, floods...damn that's awesome!!!  Nice race...and super run time too!!  Congrats on making it thru a tough day!
2007-04-21 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Just wow.  Epic conditions there - funny how when racing we have something in our plan and then we do it anyway even if conditions aren't ideal for that (changing your socks - made me laugh)

Good job!

2007-04-22 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Goggles on the bike...lol

Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica National Triathlon Series - Long Course Rss Feed