United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 45s
Overall Rank = 122/284
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Actually got to the race at 6:30 for a 7:15 start and there were plnty of racks. I loved that. Ate a cliff bar drank some water.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out slow because I wasn't sure how the altitude would affect my breathing. I wanted to draft but there wasn't anybody in front of me to start. I loved the fact that the water was fresh water not salt. That was great! I rounded the first bouy kinda wide but missed all the congestion at the bouy. I wasn't sure how I was doing but wanted to keep constant. Next thing I know the guy beside me pulls up and dog paddles, then the next guy starts to breaststroke, that made me feel really good. I rounded the last bouy, started to head for shore then started to pass people who were 1 and 2 waves ahead of me (4 and 8 min). I exited the water then had to go a 100 yard boat ramp, the two flights of stairs (that sucked) at that point I couldn't catch my breath, but managed to make it to the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Could not breathe in T1. It took a lot of time in T1

Try to spped up a little.
Bike
  • 37m 11s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really surprise that I only got passed by 2 guys (one wasn't racing)
I passed a lot of people. Saw a bunch of people throwing up. This was a hard race.

Practice more on hills. Try to ride more at altitude.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, Never so happy to be off of the bike. Still breathing very hard, never really caught my breath.

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very happy to be off the bike and was willing to take as long as I needed to finish the run. The run started out with a downhill. I was behind this guy and was just trying to keep the deadleg shuffle going. After the downhill I started to reel in the guy who was ahead of me. By the top of the hill I had passed him. I was running at a comfortable pace but couldn't catch my breath. During the downhill the guy I passed, passed me back. then during the uphill I passed him back and said "tag your it". We continued to pass each other back and forth and passing people along the way. We made it to the turn around and I realized I hadn't been passed by anybody else yet. I am not a good runner and I get passed all the time and don't ever pass anyone. So far in this race I had passed more people on the run than all my races combined! I started back up the hill then got passed by a few young women, not in my AG so I didn't mind. Then a volunteer said there was 3/4 of a mile left. I felt pretty good, then started to run. The guy that I was trading places with, pulled up with a cramp so I left him for good. With about 1/2 mile left this guy (the 3rd place guy)flew past me. I wanted to run with him but he went by with such authority that I knew I couldn't keep up with him. I kept running smoothly then realized I had caught my breath so I started to run and not shuffle. Another guy passed me and I wasn't sure if he was in my AG, so I kept him in my sights. We started up the last uphill and he started to slow. When we got close to the top I started my kick. I passed that guy with the same authority that I got passed with earlier. I got to the top of the hill and started looking for the finish line. I saw my wife and she it was at the bottom of the hill. I was flying down this hill and people were yelling " its 500 yards, its 600 meters, you have have 200 yards left" All I knew was I couldn't see the finish line. I got to the bottom of the hill and people were saying turn left the you are at the finish. I turned left and still didn't see the finish. I passed the grandstand and the announcer said my # and name, so I kept running in full sprint mode. The course flattened out and I started to get tired. I kept listening for the annoucer to say the name and # of the guy behind me, but he never did. I really started to slow down looking for the finish line, then all of a sudden I ran past the guy who was tearing off the bottom of the race numbers. That's when I knew I had crossed the line. I was so thirsty and coudn't find any water. I asked some guy where the water was and he said it was back at the grandstand (about 200 yards away). I must have looked like hell because he gave me his bottled water. I didn't want it but he insisted. That is what is so great about the people in this sport. I ended up talking to him a few more times after the race.

I should have run with the first guy that passed me. He was going so fast that I knew I couldn't run with him, but he ended up only 1 min ahead of me. I also should have run more during the race instead of comfortably shuffling a long. I was happy because nobody was passing me and if I had raced more I would have been closer to 3rd place.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing!!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude and hills

Event comments:

While I was racing I had decided never to race this one again. After I finshed and rated my effort and how tired I was and the feeling of accomplishment I had. I knew I will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2004-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 600 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/284
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman sleeveless
Course: Out to first bouy then right turn past another bouy the right at last bouy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:11 | 10 miles | 16.14 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: The course was extremely hilly. the race had only 1000 ft of climbing but it was constant. I prerode the course and rode it backwards. I was really scared because I am not a climber and at the bottom of almost every downhill was a 180 degree turn to an uphill, so I couldn't get up a lot of speed going into the uphill. The rodes also turned about every 100 ft so you couldn't see what was ahead of you. I started to pass people who were in the waves ahead of me and didn't see anyone from my wave until about mile 5. I was totally huffing and puffing then I heard someone else huffing beind me. He (the 2nd place guy)passed me at the top of the hill but I couldn't get the strength to go with him. At mile 6 there was a hill that was long. I just made it to the top of the hill when the road turned and the hill continued. That took a lot out of me. After that the road became a series of downhills and little rollers. then at mile 8 there was another long hill. The same thing happened, when I got to the top the road turned then there was more hill. I wanted to stop but remembered that my wife wanted me to "just enjoy the ride, don't worry about your times", then I relaxed and made it to the top of the hill. Then the road turned and there was a leg burning short, steep uphill. The only thing that kept me going was there were a lot of people at that point that had stopped and was walking, and I wasn't going to do that. Then the road turn and started to head back towads T2. I have never been so happy to get off of my bike!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:17 | 03 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Course: Very hilly.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-02 9:57 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: Lake Arrowhead Triathlon

2004-09-02 11:37 PM
in reply to: #57253

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Lake Arrowhead Triathlon

Hey TW,

I'm out of breath just reading about it.  Great race.

TW

2004-09-03 12:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Great race! Congrats.
2004-09-03 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Congrats Tom,

You swam a 1:33 per 100 pace and thats BELOW AVG?????????????????

Wow.   Great job

Gary

2004-09-03 9:56 AM
in reply to: #57341

User image

Elite
San Diego
Hey Gary,
Sorry, the swim was avg to good. It was the run to T1 that could have been better.
I was tired and out of breath.
2004-09-03 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Great Race! Congrats!

2004-09-03 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Glad to hear that the altitude didn't kill you. Sounds like you did great!!! Way to go!
2004-09-03 3:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-03 3:55 PM
in reply to: #57533

Elite
San Diego
Cool it is on my list for next year. So It will be good to know someone else out there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Arrowhead Triathlon Rss Feed