United States
Ironhead Race Production
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 15m 10s
Overall Rank = 48/61
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am and stretched and did a light warm up jog to make sure everything was good. Had a couple new pains in my left leg. Spent a lot of time stretching before race.
Event warmup:

Lt. Warm up jog.
Run
  • 40m 38s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept a good pace. I had planned on taking 1/2 a gu at the turnaround but forgot about it and wouldn't have slowed down long enough to take enough water with it anyway. Started getting a stitch in my side around mile four but was trying to pace someone who was close to where I wanted to be but a little stronger so that pushed me to keep going.
What would you do differently?:

If I'm not going to slow down to take a gu at half the I should take a full gu at the beginning with water before the race starts.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Things were ok for T1. I wasn't moving super fast as I was trying to catch my breath and Trasition was going up a hill to the mount line.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 41m 20s
  • 42 miles
  • 15.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I did everything I could to try and keep my cadence at 80+ and my speed at 15mph+.

I will say that the race course director has been in the area for 20 years and this is the worst wind he's ever raced in. Some comfort. If you didn't have a headwind you had a strong side wind. We only had 8 miles of tailwind. Great training for Lubbock.

Almost forgot in the midst of all my whining....I peed on the bike! Sorry, TMI I know but it's a first and if I can't share it here who am I going to tell?? My girls night out girls just wouldn't understand.lol. Should probably thank the race director for forcing the issue since it was that or bare my ass to the world since there weren't any PP. Actually, that wouldn't have bothered me near as much as getting off my bike. If I had gotten off I'm not sure I would have gotten back on. This race had a 5 hour cut-off that I was worried about considering the wind. It really helped me push mentally to keep everything going.

This race was also a qualifier for ITU Worlds so we had lots of strong athletes and out of state competitors in here just to qualify for a spot. NOT something I was concerned about.

I did great on the bike considering the conditions. I just kept thinking about putting the hay in the barn for BSLT in June. It's liable to windy on my flats there and I can pull what I did today with constant inclines the flats in Lubbock will be ok.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

I was really ticked off in T2. The racks were tight and someone racked there bike on the other side in my spot. I ended up hanging my bike by one brake. GRRR.

Very tired coming in. The last two miles into the park were once again into the wind.
Run
  • 50m 23s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this run was going to be tough. I have some work to do. I need to keep working mentally. I met my bike goal that would allow me to walk this entire leg if I wanted and I shouldn't have allowed myself to even think about it. I walked the water breaks which I'm ok with (for now) but I also extended the walking in two parts. My HR was at the top end of zone 4 and I don't usually train there. My stomach was also a little sloshy from all the liquid on the bike. Took one pit stop on run. Took 1 gu at the beginning of this run but didn't have water to go with it so I don't know how much it really helped. Pit-stop and walking probably cost me 5 minutes.

Need to figure out what solids and how to eat on the bike so I'm not so full of liquid. Will try the uncrustables in training while riding. I just usually stop and eat one and when I'm racing and that's not an option.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 5 minutes. Stood in the river for 10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training...Mental game..Nutrition

Event comments:

There isn't anything technical or really tough about the bike course except for the long inclines and wind. No real monster hills. Run is on a rocky dirt road. Two weekends in a row now I've done races with unusual trail conditions. It's not something I train on and don't care for. Can't wait for CapTex and pavement.
This was a great training race. Even though I don't care for Du's in general. Not being a runner to begin with this really tested me and let me know that I still have work to do.

Last updated: 2007-03-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:38 | 05 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 48/61
Performance: Good
Course: Course is on a Sandy and Rocky Red dirt road. Only about a quarter mile is actually paved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:41:20 | 42 miles | 15.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 48/61
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: To use Welshy's favorite word...FFFFF***! I lost track of all my mantra's..this one word sufficed for most of the ride. Rough Chip Seal for 85% of course. Long inclines into the wind. No real HILLS to speak of just stuff that worked on your legs and the wind just made it worse. We had 20-30 mile an hour winds for all of but 8 miles of this course. Not sure how you have a square course route and still only get 8 miles of tail wind but that's what it was. I'm slightly embarrassed to pose 15.61 as my average pace but it was tough and I left it all out on the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:23 | 05 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 45/61
Performance: Bad
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: IRP Striders Duathlon

2007-04-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: #771747

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: IRP Striders Duathlon

Great job on racing in such tough conditions. The winds can be so frustrating and demoralizing. You did great. And, congrats on peeing on the bike . It's definitely a time saver.

Good luck with the rest of your season .

2007-04-22 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Great job and yes, if you can't tell BT peeps about peeing on the bike, who can you tell? 
2007-04-22 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Awesome race report! So sorry about the winds- they are a killer!
Way to stick it out. And that was a LONG bike ride!
Take care, rest up and be proud that you did an awesome job
2007-04-22 5:47 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I'm totally impressed with your times and being able to handle your bike with such headwinds.  It seems like I've been reading a lot of race reports lately where people are dealing with high winds.  Michellie Jones was in Denver yesterday and someone asked her about races where things didn't go well and what she would do differently ... she said you race what is given to you, whether it's rain, wind, or sunshine.  Sounds like you did just that.  Awesome job.
2007-04-22 7:26 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Sounds like you got in some great practice fo BSLT, mentally and physically on a very challenging day. Great job!

2007-04-22 10:46 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Hey, for just racing last weekend and racing in super windy conditions, you ROCKED this! I mean -- this was a monster event and you kept a 10mpm run pace after 40some miles on a SUPER WINDY bike ride. Now, THAT is cool 

Way to go!

2007-04-23 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great race report. Headwinds... HATE THEM! I think wind has been getting everyone, everwhere. You did a great job considering how much headwind you had to ride into.

Not a runner? 8 minute miles = a runner in my book!

Terrific job on the Du... good practice for the HIM.

PS- I HATE Du's too.
2007-04-23 2:37 PM

User image

Southeast Texas
Replying to a message by tri-chic on 2007-04-23

Do I EVER!! That stuff is awesome (and COLD!). Bought two pair of Microsensor Pearl iZUMi bike shorts at the MS Expo... HUGE help. Zero butt problems and no Sleepy Peepy... that's a good thing!

My blog didn't do the ride justice... it was just alot of fun. And very tiring. Although nothing like your double! It might take ya a couple days to recover... listen to your body. Nice 1st run! Quick! Anyone who can actually bike into the wind for 2:41 is amazing in my book... don't know about you, but I HATE wind! It's probably mental, but still sucks. I about died laughing reading about your "health break" on the bike... funny! Keep it up... makes me feel alot better about sharing my...ummm... experiences that the boys totally wouldn't understand and find mostly humerous.

How did nutrition treat you? Can you give me some pointers on nutrition? As my training progresses and I'm doing much longer bricks, nutrition is becoming more of an issue for me. You can see I bonked the last bit on the first day... Pee'd only once the entire day (at 9am)... not good. And I got tired of doing GU. What drink do you use? I usually carry two bottles... water and water with electrolyte tablets.

Overall great job on the race! And I LOVE Bleucheese Burgers!!! CapTexTri... winner buys the other a BC Burger, deal!? (here's my trick... I'm doing the Sprint which is half your distance... HHhahaha!!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IRP Striders Duathlon Rss Feed