General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport Beach, California
United States
Humanrace
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 42s
Overall Rank = 332/569
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/50
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am. Had a fairly long drive. One hour and 15 minutes. Decided it was worth it to stay at home.

Event warmup:

Just jogged around a bit.
Swim
  • 14m 22s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yuck. Muddy water. The swim was a little more violent than my other swims. They put the Clydesdales along with my age group so there were a lot of big people. I swim the same pace whether it is 50 yards, 500 yards or 5,000 yards. And getting out was tough. I probably stood up a bit too early and found myself walking through mush.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Stuck in transition. I am a deliberate person by nature and I am just concerned about leaving something.

I saw these people with buckets of water and I had no clue why. I quickly realized after I got out of the water. I had sand all over my feet and the spray didn't get enough of the dirt off. So I had some sand in my feet for the remainder of the day.
Bike
  • 53m 51s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was great. I don't know what to say about my speed, or lack thereof. I am thinking it may be that I have been using mountain bike shoes instead of road bike shoes. Reality is that I don't train enough.

I also don't have the desire to push it to the extreme to be honest. I enjoy just being out there. I don't quite fit in with all those 'on the left' people that become apoplectic if they have to wait an additional 15 seconds to pass.

Push it a little harder. Could have shaved a few minutes off here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

A little quicker here.
Run
  • 23m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

There was one little hill that was a bit difficult. I am going to start working on running up big hills. I was happy about my time. Went pretty quickly and I had a great sprint at the end to beat one guy. I actually surprised myself with how much energy I had. Felt like I could have gone stronger on the run perhaps.

Train on hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Snack.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Once again, the bike.

Event comments:

It was a change of pace (lol) from the half-ironman. I have been so focused on endurance lately. Everything was about mileage and intensity just took a back seat.

I don't think my time improved over a few months ago, but I used to be completely spent at the end of races. At the end of this, I was having a normal conversation 10 seconds later.

So, that is an indication I am in better shape or that I am not giving it my all. I hope it isn't the latter. I really try to do my best. It is still a challenge to gauge how much fuel I have in the tank at any one time.

Last updated: 2007-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:22 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 273/569
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Circle swim in the harbor.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:53:51 | 15 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Overall: 403/569
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:42 | 03 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 272/569
Performance: Good
Course: 1.5 miles out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-24 11:58 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon

2007-04-25 12:13 AM
in reply to: #775520

User image

Subject: RE: Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon

Hard to judge, especially after training for the long stuff.  Sounds like a nice change of pace.  I like the attitude that you just enjoy being out there.

nice report

Oh, and welcome to swimming with the big boys

2007-04-25 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
That mud really messed with me too. Other than that I liked the course and the amount of people out there. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, perhaps next time.
2007-04-25 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Nice one Mark . Just keep plugging away , perhaps pay a little extra attention on your limiter.

How did you like swimming with the Orcas ?
2007-04-25 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Hey Mark, I'm sorry I missed you at the race and it would have been great to meet you.  You finished and had a good time doing it and that is what truly matters most.  Hope to meet you at a race in the future.  Cheers!
2007-05-07 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Great job out there Mark

One of my training partners from Nytro also ran this race and commented on the Mud.

I agree that all of your training as resulted in a big fitness boost that greatly improves your ability to recover from hard efforts like this.

I know you have been pretty hard on yourself lately but you did really well in Oceanside and you really cranked this race. There are certainly some big finishes in your future as long as you stick with your training.

Take Care

2007-05-07 1:48 PM

User image

Nice job on the race. I hear what you're saying about how training long can do a lot for stamina but doesn't necessarily make one faster. I think it give you a pretty good base to work with when you start the spped training though.

Have a great week!!!

2007-05-07 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
So. Cal.
Nice race!

I can understand the swim pace thing, doesn't matter if I swim 1K or 4K, my pace is almost the same.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed