General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Bottle Cage recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-24 11:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: Water Bottle Cage recommendations?
I am preparing for a 70.3 (Vineman 70.3). I have two water bottle cages located on the frame. For a 70.3, would I need additional water bottle cages located off the back of the saddle? If so, recommendations?

(I'm not the fastest rider, so they may roll up the water stations/rest stops etc. Want to make sure that I'm self sufficient.)

THANKS!

2007-04-25 5:30 AM
in reply to: #775521

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Water Bottle Cage recommendations?

while training for my HIM last year, I had two on the frame plus the Profile bottle cages on the back.  I never wanted to count on there being a fluid stop at a specific location on the course.   

For the race itself, I got rid of the rear cages and added an aero bottle.

Edited by CubeFarmGopher 2007-04-25 5:31 AM
2007-04-25 7:10 AM

User image

Regular
Eugene, OR
With two frame cages you would be fine if you trained with the race supplied nutrition. I assume that the aid stations are close enough that you can reload on a consistent schedule. If it is going to be hot, or you require more liquids, I would add a aerobottle and not hassle with a rear system. I recently did the IMAZ and wished I had two bottle frames. If so, I would have gone with only an additional aerobottle. Since I only have one frame cage I went with an additional 2-bottle XLab system.
2007-04-25 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

How much fluid do you really expect you'll need? 

Unless you are the slowest swimmer in the last wave -AND- the slowest cyclist, you should be able to replentish at aid stations.  If you are that last-person-in-front-of-the-street-sweeper, what are you going to do for the run?  (Most races hold the aid stations open through the cutoff, but they may run out of stuff towards the end.)  Now, you might want a 4-bottle setup for training rides, especially in hot weather.  I rubber-banded a bottle of water onto my aerobars and I've carried an extra bottle in my jersey. 

You shouldn't have to skip more than one station.  If the first one is out, they should have radio'ed to get additional supplies to the second one (or make sure they do).  If you're completely out, grab two bottles in an aid station with supplies. 

You could also wear a camelback (if you're really that slow, the aerodynamic drag won't be much of an issue). 

2007-04-25 6:24 PM

User image

I think the primary consideration for additional cages is either (1) so you can do long self supported training rides or (2) if you use a formula not on the course, i.e., Infinit.  Both of these are true for me.  I like to be able to load up with 3 bottle of infinit and one water and know I can make it through 80 miles on that alone without having to stop or find a liquor store etc.

As for the holder, I like the Minoura double bottle holder.  The bottles sit more upright so when going over rough road you can basically keep the bottles from ejecting by moving your butt back a touch.  it's cheap (like $15) and works well.  Got mine from trizone.com

The hydro tail is supposed to work well and not be a bottle ejector, but it's more expensive.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Bottle Cage recommendations? Rss Feed