12C / 54F
Overcast
Total Time = 37h 36m 15s
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/?
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast was a bowl of Vector with skim milk. Mmmmm Tasty

At the event, dropped off my gear at gear check, shook out the legs a little, ate a Powerbar and drank a bit of Powerade.
Event warmup:

If lots of waiting around counts, then TONS of warmup :)
Run
  • 37h 36m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 3h 45m 37s  min/km
Comments:

So I was placed in the 2nd from the lead group, which in terms of the Sun Run, probably means in the 1st 10,000 runners (54,000 participants)!!! From when the starting gun shot, there was probably a 7 minute gap between that time, and when I actually started. The good thing was, once everyone hit the starting line and started their watches, almost everyone ran!!! That was the main thing I was worried about.

This was my first 10k in a race setting, but I had raced my first triathlon about 5 weeks earlier. I also have been running twice a week, one long run (10-12k) and one shorter run (7-8k). So I think I was fairly well prepared. Oops, digressing a little bit!

Back to the start of the race, it was definitely busy, and dodging-mania ensued. I figure within the 1st kilometer I passed at least 200 people. It was THAT busy. But of course all this dodging comes at a price, and I had my timing chip strategically kicked off of my shoelace, hence the lack of placings above. I carried my time chip in my hand the rest of the way and didn't think to put it back on, thinking I would be ok just runnning over the finish line with it in my hand. Good thing I had my watch on, or I would have been completely oblivious to my time!!

Regardless, I got into my groove at about 3km, and had hit every water station on the way, spilling 90% of it all over my face/shirt. Not to mention the one time I tripped on my own big feet and knocked a cup of water into a volunteer's face. I helped her up, apologized then leaped away to pass those people that had just bounded by me!!

The sun started poking through the clouds at about the 7km mark and it got pretty toasty fairly quickly! The volunteers were great, as well as the spectators!! In my head at the time, there were so many people on the side of the road cheering, I thought to myself, "It's like Tour De France without the bikes, sponsors, and crazy fans attacking their favorite cyclists competitors" (I exaggerate a little).

After going over the bridge (with the beautiful view I might add), to the downhill to the finish line, it was an amazing feeling seeing the arches of balloons, and the THOUSANDS of people screaming at you to keep going!! I personally don't think anyone I knew was watching as a spectator, but it didnt matter, it felt great to know that people were cheering for me/around me/for the people around me!!

It was a great event and amazingly organized!!! I enjoyed it thoroughly and will DEFINITELY be doing it again next year!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!! Maybe figure out a way using duct tape or super-glue to keep my timing chip on so I can get some official results :(

Post race
Warm down:

Almost jumping in to give an overweight cardiac arrest patient CPR. I'm a lifeguard, and I thought I could help out, but 3 nurses and one doctor jumped in just as I got there. I don't know if he was a racer. Felt really bad I couldnt help. I even asked if there was ANYTHING I could do but they wouldnt allow me to assist.

Walking to the bus stop to go back to UBC.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience in race settings for sure. I need to be sure not to try and race EVERYONE around me and burn myself out.

Event comments:

It was a great time!! If you live in or near Vancouver, and you haven't done it before, make sure to come and try it out next year!!

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
37:36:15 | 10 kms | 3h 45m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Good
Course: Pavement, with minor hills, lots of turning and that great downtown Vancouver atmosphere! Especially running over briges!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes