General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to this and looking for people in New York City Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-04 9:08 PM

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: New to this and looking for people in New York City
Hi -

I am new to this and am doing my first sprint in June. I am looking for a mentor, I am very nervous. I am training on my own and am not sure if I am pushing myself enough.

2007-05-04 9:49 PM
in reply to: #789569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: RE: New to this and looking for people in New York City
Welcome aboard!! I wouldn't consider myself a mentor, but there are a ton of experienced and knowledgable people on this site. Feel free to ask anyone just about anything, use your training logs to keep track of your workouts, that's going to help people give you advice.
Getting a training plan is a good idea (there are great ones available through BT), it will give you a frame of what you need to be doing. Some people swear by heartrate training as well, and others don't, that's gonna be up to you.
I'm new to tri's but have been running forever and swam for a bit a few years back. I live on Long Island, so getting together for some training isnt' impossible. What races are you training for?
Good luck, stay healthy!!!
2007-05-05 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Where in NYC?? I spend a lot of time in Central Park, training and working.
2007-05-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: #789597

Brooklyn, New York
I am doing a sprint in Philly end of June. baby steps first.
2007-05-06 8:38 PM
in reply to: #789597

Brooklyn, New York
hi,

I am training for a sprint in Philly in June. I am just nervous that I am not doing enough.

Andrea
2007-05-07 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Well...your 30 hour? workout on May 4th might be overdoing it Looking at your training over the last week, it looks pretty good. Just make sure you are taking a full rest day every week. The plans here at BT are good if not to follow exactly, to at least compare to what you are currently doing. Also, recovery and nutrition play a very importatn part in the training regiment, so don't forget them either. Which Y are you swimming at? I do the Masters at the 14th street Y on Sunday nights, it kicks my a#$ every week.

2007-05-07 11:20 AM
in reply to: #791276

Brooklyn, New York
thanks for the advice. I beling to the Dodge Y in Brooklyn on Atlantic Avenue. I also joined the master's swim. I am starting on Wednesday and am a little scared. I was taking another class but it was not advanced enough. When you talk about recovery do you mean rest or stretching etc?

Thanks again
Andrea
2007-05-07 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
I mean you should take at the very least a full day off every week from everything. I know a lot of people consider yoga/pilates to be "rest" but your muscles really need a full day to recover from all of the damage you do training during the week. I was one of those Yoga rest day people a while back, but since I've devoted one full day a week to doing nothing I have made bigger and better improvements overall w/ speed and strength.
2007-05-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: #791492

Brooklyn, New York
ok. Do you heart rate train or follow a specific plan?

Thanks
Andrea
2007-05-07 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
I have been using an HRM on and off. Usually it depends on whether I remeber to put it on before I head out. If you do intervals/sprints in running or biking it helps to make sure you are not overtraining. I'm very Type-A so I have a tendency to over do it, so the HRM keeps me in check. But sometimes I just want to run w/o checking numbers so I do especially on my long slow distance days.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to this and looking for people in New York City Rss Feed