General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 5905/29211
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 330/2831
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, headed downtown in the dark in one-way rush hour. EVERYONE awake was headed to the race. We made our way to the Team Challenge tent. Once we showed our wristbands we were granted entry- it was the first time we'd put a team together and it was totally worth it. Each team had a table with chairs, the back of the tent was a fenced off yard with our own private port-a-johns, then we had our own gear check. We also had Panera breakfast. I nibbled at a danish and had some water... too anxious to get to the start line to really enjoy it. Did some light stretching and took off my extra shirt.
Event warmup:

Jogged from the tent to the corral. Stood around for a while while nothing happened. Walked 6:16 minutes before we crossed the start line.
Run
  • 1h 56m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I really thought I was going to be able to set a new PR today but turns out it was a lot more work than I expected. The first few miles I ran 9:30m/m to warm up. I felt like I was going to have to speed up eventually, but I didn't really have any plan for when and how much. This really did me in- spent the whole race double-guessing my pace. The distance wasn't intimidating at all, actually it went really fast, but I wasn't sure how fast I *could* go. I felt like I was pushing it but kept looking down at my watch and I was always behind my PR pace.

It was really muggy today with no wind (officially 2mph) and I think that was tough. I was a lot hotter than I'd expected to be. As usual, this was a really fun, exciting race (I saw Danica Patrick on the track beneath the pavilion!). When I got onto the track I saw them replaying the men's winner on the huge jumbo-tron TVs and watched the women's winner finish just about as I crossed the famous "brickyard". I tried to really haul ass in the second half, but again wasn't sure if I was going to fast. The last few miles I tried to kick it in more, but my right ITB at my knee started feeling funky. By the last mile it was obvious I wasn't going to PR so I almost just let it go but then decided to still empty the tank. It hurt, but I finished and though it wasn't a PR this was my Indy Mini PR by a full minute.
What would you do differently?:

Do some speed training. Have a pace strategy.
Post race
Warm down:

Got all the free food, my cool medal (the Indy 500 Pavillion with an Indy car that actually slides across the race track... pretty impressive!), got water from my dad who was volunteering at the finish line, and got my picture. By the time I exited the runner area my quads were starting to bunch up and I was worried I was going to pull a Kathy G and face plant, but I slowed down and was okay. :) Got to the tent and grabbed water, gatorade then hit the potties, my stomach was NOT happy. Signed up for a massage that didn't happen because the line was too long. Got our team picture taken, stretched a lot, and had free lunch. Didn't bother with the beer because it was over in the beer garden and that seemed WAY too far away. Fortunately the Ben-gay patch people were handing patches out like they were getting paid by the patch, so I started wall-papering my legs. :)

Have a sore ankle/foot but otherwise feel remarkably un-sore, which makes me wonder if I could have pushed more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing how fast I could run. The sheer number of runners- I did quite a bit of running *around* people and had to be extra cautious in the "pit areas". Some areas, particularly the track were really crowded which slowed me down.

Event comments:

I can't wait for another shot at this distance, and though I'm always curious about the Flying Pig, I'm pretty sure I'll be back in Indy again this time next year. Fun race.

Last updated: 2007-01-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:33 | 13.1 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2831
Overall: 0/29211
Performance: Good
Course: Out of Indy past the museums and zoo to the Indy 500 speedway. Around the speedway then back to town.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

2007-05-05 4:32 PM
in reply to: #789962

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)
Subject: RE: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

It was really muggy today with no wind

See I told you Indy was getting used weather... KC sweated in it the day before and made it humid. All the wind stayed in Western Kansas in the town of Greensburg.. blew away the town; quite tragic.

I'd bribe the timekeeper for an 8:54 pace over 13.1 miles.... great job!  Now what about a report on that post-race beer carboloading??

2007-05-05 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)

can't wait for another shot at this distance, and though I'm always curious about the Flying Pig

Say... I've done the Pig; you really have to like hills... 

2007-05-05 6:51 PM

Regular
Indiana
Good job. The race was really fun to do.
2007-05-06 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Great job. It sounds like a fun race to do.
2007-05-06 5:01 PM

User image

, North Carolina

I cannot imagine running with that many people!  You did awesome.  It sounds like a fun race.

2007-05-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: #789972

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
mmmmm... hills. 
2007-05-07 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
THanks guys, yeah this is a really fun race.  Tons of people, but they really do pretty well handling it.  I'll almost certainly be back for my 5th next year. 
2007-05-07 12:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Amazing...you really did well!

Look how fast you are ... it is impressive!

Your pacing strategy worked in you were able to pick up the pace and push yourself...cool you PBed this race.

Your running talent will carry you far in tris. Seems that run well do best in tris. 

Congrats!

PS Very glad you didn't do a face plant like I did last week...ben gay patches to the rescue! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed