United States
Pickle Events
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 08m 10s
Overall Rank = 24/168
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

I just set-up my transition area and made sure I had everything where I wanted it. I could definitely tell I was nervous by the numerous pit stops I made to the bathroom before the race.
Event warmup:

Just did a quick, short ride with Mike and stayed warm and loose. Felt to be the perfect amount.
Swim
  • 10m 1s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got placed in a lane with three other people who were all expecting to be in the range of 10:30 and I was thinking I would be about 9:30. With that I didn't really that much help in drafting or someone to pace and push me. I just tried to go hard but also don't wear myself out completely. I would have liked to go a little quicker but I'm still very happy with my performance. I also managed to breath at the right time as I was passing the other guys in my lane which helped significantly.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I would have done different is pushed myself a little harder so I could have obtained my goal of 9:30 but I can't complain to much when my overall time was right were I wanted.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Although I would have liked to be a little quicker, my head just didn't feel normal so I think I ended up being a little slower than I thought I would be. I had a little problem putting my socks on but other than that everything went good. I kind of stumbled getting on my bike. It was bad, but I just couldn't get my shoes clicked in.

I would hopefully in the future just get into my socks quicker and then manage to clip in on the first try. Other than that I was happy.
Bike
  • 36m 14s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I only took four drinks from my water bottle during the ride which I don't if it hurt me or helped. I didn't feel thirsty at anytime but I figured I better drink anyway. I kept my cadence around 90 the whole time and my legs felt great there. I had a great time on the ride and just kept telling myself to keep going and I'm slowly getting closer to becoming an Ironman someday.

I really don't know what I could have done different.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

This transition went fairly well. I dismounted from my bike very well and made my way to my transition area which was right by the entrance so I didn't have far to go both times, which was very nice. I did notice though that when I went to go tie my shoes my fingers were cold and I stumbled trying to tie the first shoe. The second one was much better.

I would just hopefully tied my shoes quicker. Am considering by the Yankz laces now to see if those would help.
Run
  • 19m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went pretty well. I didn't feel that I was going that fast coming out of the transition but my fan support said I was moving fairly well so that's an encouraging sign. The run went by very fast!! I didn't let anyone pass me which I thought someone would definitely would do. Coming back we ran along a gravel trail which was muddy but o'well just gotta do what you gotta do. Stomach felt a little weird coming off the bike but soon managed to stay calm.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank gatorade and ate apples and bananas. :) And then just hurried to get my stuff out of the rain and then stayed inside to warm-up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know of anything besides what I said above. With this being my first race, I just wanted to have a great day and I ended up having an AMAZING day!!

Event comments:

The support and encouragement from everyone was great. I thought they did a wonderful job running the event and definitely plan to be back next year.

Last updated: 2007-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:01 | 600 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 42/168
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: The swim portion was done at an inside pool. Was very well organized and run very smoothly.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:14 | 13 miles | 21.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/21
Overall: 28/168
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: The course was good, the road was very well cleared of rocks and part of it was on a bike trail which made for a very smooth trail and no worries about traffic. Cops were at all of the major intersections stopping traffic for us and it made it very easy/nice as we would go by.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:45 | 03 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 25/168
Course: Fairly flat course, run alongside the road and then on a trail. Very smooth, the weather just changed to rain once I got started on the run. It wasn't rainy extremely hard but was close the point of it being annoying.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 10:27 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

2007-05-05 10:30 PM
in reply to: #790199

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
Subject: RE: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

AWESOME!!!

AND HARDWARE TO BOOT!! Welcome to the family Triathlete!

2007-05-06 4:17 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Congratulations on the first one AWESOME!
2007-05-06 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Great race!

You may have dropped 30-50 seconds in transitions with two things: forget about socks and get some sort of elastic lacing system for your shoes.

Very nice bike ride!

You certainly have a future in this sport. Keep up the training and good work.
2007-05-06 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Very nice!  You certainly carried a positive attitude through the race.  I'll bet you can't wait for next time!
2007-05-07 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Nathan:

Great race man!!  You sure are fast and have a great future in this as a competitve sport...CONGRATS on your hardware!

2007-05-07 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Nathan,

I am trying to analyze your results for you a bit. What kind of bike are you riding?
2007-05-07 9:53 PM
in reply to: #791223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Nathan, you did a GREAT job!  Your time is amazing considering this was your first tri!  I know we are going to see fabulous things from you in the future!  Seriously, that was an awesome race!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chain of Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed