General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2007-05-07 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Who is in for Carpinteria this year.

This is a great course and an excellent race that offers an Olympic and a Sprint Distance with an ocean swim at the "World's Safest Beach", a Bike through parts of Montecito (Where the Rich and Famous Live) around the Polo Grounds and a great run along the seaside cliffs :)

2007-05-07 10:59 AM
in reply to: #791352

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I am signed up for the Olympic Distance again

This will be my 4th year doing this race and has become a bit of a tradition owing to the fact that it occurs on or about my birthday every year.

The Olymic was the 1st race I ever did and ran it on my 38th Birthday. I might be a bit biased but I think this is one of the best Olympic Distance races in Southern California.

Great course, usually very nice weather, and excellent race direction

See you there.
2007-05-07 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Carpinteria is a nice beach to swim at , Our favorite actually. I Might be in for this one . There should be enough rest and recovery time after LA and Malibu.
WD : Is there car traffic on the roads or is it closed to traffic ?
2007-05-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: #791596

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Parts of the bike course are considered "Open" but there are plenty of CHP and volunteers directing traffic. The Back Side of the Polo Grounds is really the only time I remember actually sharing the road with cars.

Have never really had an issue with auto traffic on the course.

One interesting feature of the course is that we get to cross the train tracks twice on the bike and twice on the run. There are volunteers at the crossings, and if you get held up at the crossing, they take your number down and you get a time bonus.

Only a few racers actually ever get held up. If you look at the results page, you can see the column for the time bonus. The race is well timed around the Amtrak schedule.

Hope this helps and maybe see you in Carp
2007-05-07 1:31 PM

User image

I might consider this one....  As a kid we used to go to Carpinteria state beach every year to go camping for a week.  I remember the trains well, as it sounded like they were coming right through the tent.....
2007-05-07 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
WD : The Train delay policy is interesting . It begs the following question ....
By the same token as you get a time credit ( and a rest) if you have to wait for a train , Can the race official DQ peeps who gun the warning lights and make unsafe crossing at the Train Tracks ?

2007-05-07 2:26 PM
in reply to: #791713

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Oh, yeah.

If you actually survive the experience of trying to race a train either on bike or on foot, I am sure they will be helping you remove your timing chip not long after.

I think that falls under the rule of "Riding in a Dangerous/Unsafe Manner" and probably also not following the direction of course marshalls.

FWIW: As I recall, the time bonus is quite generous
2007-05-08 3:27 PM

Regular
I signed up for this already and this will be my first tri ever! I'm looking forward to it. Any tips or specific things that I should be training for this event?
2007-05-08 3:43 PM
in reply to: #793429

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
triornot - 2007-05-08 1:27 PM

I signed up for this already and this will be my first tri ever! I'm looking forward to it. Any tips or specific things that I should be training for this event?

Wow! that is going to be exciting for you . Do you live in the area ? What distance are you doing ?
Tips: All Depends on your strenghts : I would say work on your limiter(s) . Bike to Run transitions. Get some Open Water Swims in. If you can, Ride the course beforehand . And then go Easy and get plenty of rest the week before.

2007-05-10 10:25 AM
in reply to: #793479

Regular
I'm in the san gabriel valley, close enough to drive there i guess. I'm currently signed up for the sprint distance because I'm afraid that I might not be ready for the oly.

The only thing that I am confident in completing right now is the run. I'm a bit clumsy on my bike. I biked with a friend along the san gabriel river (about 40 miles round trip) once on my hybrid and I was slooow.. and I'm really bad with hills. My legs will start to burn very soon when i'm trying to "climb" a hill. What do people do to strengthen their ability to bike over hills? Is there any exercises I can do to strength the necessary muscles for that? As for swimming, I'm currently taking swimming lesson once a week. I can barely swim 50 yds without stopping and I seem to be a bit directionally challenged in water.

haha.. I definitely got a lot of things to work on! Unfortunately, it so much harder to find time to train for my swim and biking that I've been doing running more than anything else. well, i'll have my swimming lesson today so at least i get to put some swim time in.
2007-05-10 11:03 AM

User image

re: biking hills... see my sig line....

exciting for you!  Good luck.  It's your first race, don't worry about your time or how fast you go, just enjoy it.  you never get another first tri.

2007-05-10 11:08 AM
in reply to: #795785

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
triornot - 2007-05-10 8:25 AM

I'm in the san gabriel valley, close enough to drive there i guess. I'm currently signed up for the sprint distance because I'm afraid that I might not be ready for the oly.

The only thing that I am confident in completing right now is the run. I'm a bit clumsy on my bike. I biked with a friend along the san gabriel river (about 40 miles round trip) once on my hybrid and I was slooow.. and I'm really bad with hills. My legs will start to burn very soon when i'm trying to "climb" a hill. What do people do to strengthen their ability to bike over hills? Is there any exercises I can do to strength the necessary muscles for that? As for swimming, I'm currently taking swimming lesson once a week. I can barely swim 50 yds without stopping and I seem to be a bit directionally challenged in water.

haha.. I definitely got a lot of things to work on! Unfortunately, it so much harder to find time to train for my swim and biking that I've been doing running more than anything else. well, i'll have my swimming lesson today so at least i get to put some swim time in.

There is plenty of time to get ready. Keep up the swim lessons and try and get to the pool and ride your bike a least twice a week . Even a short 20-30 mins midweek session will help a lot get you up to speed.
Hills never get easy but the best way to train for them is to ride them.
Over Time You will grow a fondness for the hills. Try and stay in the saddle in your lowest gear and keep your feet moving around . Your legs will burn but with repeated vsists and persistance you will get stronger at them.

Good Luck .
2007-05-10 1:17 PM
in reply to: #795875

Regular
Thanks for the encouragements! I am definitely look forward to completing my first tri!

Just a question on the bike.. would stationary bikes in the gym be sufficient training? It's hard for me to ride outside during the week. So I think it's easier for me to do more stationary biking instead. Also, I currently have a Trek hybrid bike.. would it be okay for the tri? It's soo heavy and slow when compared to my friend's road bike. my friend said that I should be a more expensive road bike instead
2007-05-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #796061

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
triornot - 2007-05-10 11:17 AM

Thanks for the encouragements! I am definitely look forward to completing my first tri!

Just a question on the bike.. would stationary bikes in the gym be sufficient training? It's hard for me to ride outside during the week. So I think it's easier for me to do more stationary biking instead. Also, I currently have a Trek hybrid bike.. would it be okay for the tri? It's soo heavy and slow when compared to my friend's road bike. my friend said that I should be a more expensive road bike instead

A Gym Bike will do just fine for some of your training. Many Tri peeps set up their bike and ride indoors.
Watch a favorite tv show or read Runners World to pass the time.
Its safer than riding at night or on busy roads. If your bike is in good shape with good gears and brakes. It will do fine for
your first race. Some sprints have a Mountain bike divison ' like the Malibu Triathlon. If you really dig it
and have some $$ to spend then by all means invest in a Road and tri bike . They are significantly faster.
A cheaper solution is to replace knobby tires (if you have them) for slimmer road tires on your hybrid so they have less rolling resistance.

2007-07-03 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Still plenty of room left in both the Olympic and the Sprint Distance races.

Anyone else planning on doing this race?

2007-07-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #870532

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
WaterDog66 - 2007-07-03 9:16 AM

Still plenty of room left in both the Olympic and the Sprint Distance races.

Anyone else planning on doing this race?

How can you tell if a sellout is imminent ? I want to do the race . But don't want to commit $$ to it just yet .

2007-07-03 4:27 PM
in reply to: #870532

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
I'm registered. This is one of my favorite races! Great location.
2007-07-03 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Registered , That was the easy part , It's going to be a busy september . ....

Love the area , Its My family 's favorite beach so it wont be hard to "con" them into going there

over the summer so I can get in some OWS training ....

2007-07-03 7:06 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Looks great!  Couldn't find a race report on it ... can anyone comment on how the Oly bike section compares with LA Tri's?  (I've looked at profiles of both--Carp's seems hillier, but might be a nicer ride anyway).

Thanks!

2007-07-17 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Just did the swim and bike course , well most of the bike course anyway as I navigated it with a map and still missed the left turn at Sheffield and ended up in very posh montecito . Los Angeles Tri bike course is easier. Carpinteria has a few sharp climbs notably up at the beginning and middle of 192 and up toro canyon . It is very scenic and i look forward to riding the course one more time before the race for training as much as to admire the scenery.
The surf at the beach is very minimal as it is sheltered by an offshore reef and Channel Islands. There are two floating rafts in the water about 100 m off shore and 100m from each other . Great for training and to rest on ...

2007-09-01 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
My buddy Mark has just signed up , He is strong on the bike so this will be a fun course for him.

Any recommendation for Carbo loading on Saturday night ?

I know there is a place at the corner of Linden and Carpinteria .

2007-09-23 11:38 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Only a few days to go. How are the preparations going ?

I am coming off two back to back races so i am taking it a lil easy this week .

2007-09-28 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
2 days to go . Looks like we will get some cool weather .

2007-09-29 2:31 PM

User image

Good luck all!! Enjoy Toro Canyon! 
2007-09-30 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Thanks Chris , Toro canyon was the hardest part , I did it training went too hard and had to stop , Today i stayed in the saddle and did not go too hard into it . It slowed me down to 3 mph but I survived it . Real nice descend on the other side. Great Bike course and nice run course too , I would totally do it it again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carpinteria Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  

of 1