Team Magice
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 12s
Overall Rank = 104/184
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

We drove up Friday night and played Saturday at the pool and on the beach at Gulf Shores. I hadn't planned to well for nutrition so some powered doughnuts, diet coke and a cliff bar were my pre-race meal. Drove down to the race site and had plenty of room and time to settle in.

The atmosphere at the race site was very relaxed and friendly. I was going to treat this like a training day with a couple minor changes so there was nothing to worry about, just enjoy the race and the day. :)

After getting marked, I made all final adjustments to the bike and transition area I got the wet suit on and went down to the beach to test the water which was not cold at all.
Event warmup:

Did a few pick ups in the Gulf and then stood around :) Stretched just a little bit.
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 914 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got to use my wet suit and the water wasn't cold so I was feeling confident about finishing the swim with a lot left in the tank for the bike/run. It was time trial start, which is becoming my favorite.

There was a current that pushed us to the right of the first bouy, but using my high school math calculations, a potractor and a compass I surmised that I should probably head a little to the left to compensate. Go figure, I was right.

I did get some jelly fish on me though. Since this was my first swim in the Gulf I forgot about that. They weren't bad and left no marks but it took me until the second one to figure out what they were (I had 4 total).
What would you do differently?:

This was a great swim for me. I was 11/11 but considering that I have swam only 2 times in the last 7ish months to do the 1000 yards in 17 minutes is pretty damn good.

I will take 2/min 100m every time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Good transition. Only problem I had was I had water in my right ear and I got nauseated from swallowing the gulf water.

The run from the beach to the bikes took most of my transition time.

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 01m 23s
  • 20 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The queasiness of the swim/salt water had me worried for a bit. I decided to get on the bike and just take it slow until it passed. The first 2-3 miles were slowish as I drank water to try to flush the Gulf water out. The last 3/4 of my bike were great. I felt a ton better and cranked it up during the middle miles.

Overall with the slow start I could have probably pushed over the 20mph mark, but this is a triathlon and you have to account for what ever the course gives you.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Very short transition. Felt good off the bike.

Not much.
Run
  • 43m 24s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was about as flat as you can get. My plan was to use the first half to settle in and recover from the bike then push the second half. But, at the turn around I got a bad right sided cramp. I also started getting really hot. Although the cramp was affecting my breathing my cardio was still pretty good so I just kept running through the pain which lasted until the finish.

I am not displease with the run because I wanted to stop for the last 20 minutes or so and didn't.

Maybe drink more on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, met a few people and sweated a bunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting super hot at the end of the run probably precipitated my cramp but other than that am really pleased with my performance.

Event comments:

After the race I spent some time with Ken and Frank. Two genuinely good peeps that represent the sport well. I saw Marcy (Ken's wife) on the run course but officially meet her. Ken probably know more about my training that anyone else due to the BT boards/logs here. Good to finally meet him.

This was a short Olympic distance which was *just* right for my fitness level (and non-existent swim training). The race was well run and I think there was more support/volunteers per racer than at any race I have ever been too which includes Memphis in May and Rivercites.

Although I came in 10 out of 11 it was really a good race for me. The standing took the beginners out of the AG'ers and couple that with the level of athlete that attempt the Olympic distance and I finished about where I should have. If you look at the overall standings I'm 104 out of 186 (but I counted by hand and am not doing it again :) ).

My transitions were clean and fast. I *maybe* could have shaved 60 seconds off the run if I don't have that cramp.

My family and I made a weekend of it (being in Gulf Shores)enjoying the sun drenched, white sandy beaches, the clean clear (and cool) water and the laid back vacation atmosphere. Weather could not have been better for it.

I will make this race next year if at all possible.

Last updated: 2007-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 914 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 11/184
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless
Course: Out across and back point to point.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:23 | 20 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 0/184
Wind: Little
Course: This course was VERY different from what I am used to. All of my triathlons have been waaay off in the woods or at the edge of civilization. This one took us right down the beach road with tons of condo's, buildings, and new construction. Different but fun. There was a permanent bike lane to ride in which was nice. Roads were smooth. The only climb was an overpass which was easily managable.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:24 | 04.5 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 0/184
Course: Out and back, flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-07 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: Alabama Coastal Triathlon

2007-05-08 5:53 AM
in reply to: #792335

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Alabama Coastal Triathlon
Great race and really great to meet you in real life. You are right on about the competiton level at this race. Despite being a small crowd, they pushed alot of the top locals down the standings.

I think the Convention and Visitors Bureau is really gonna love your quote. It sounds good enough for a brochure.

"My family and I made a weekend of it (being in Gulf Shores)enjoying the sun drenched, white sandy beaches, the clean clear (and cool) water and the laid back vacation atmosphere."

2007-05-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: #792335

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Alabama Coastal Triathlon
Great job - I love races that are places the whole family can enjoy!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alabama Coastal Triathlon Rss Feed