General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports, LLC
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 24s
Overall Rank = 201/247
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5:15. PB&J, coffee, and naproxen for breakfast. Drove an hour or so to race site (Wilmington, DE to Cedarville, NJ) w/ my brother, Kevin. Set up bike, etc. at transition area. Not so quick visit to the port-a-potty.
Event warmup:

No time for a real warm up. Ran from the port-a-potty to the transition area and then rushed to get into my wetsuit. Then ran to the pond with no time to spare. Kevin and I were in the first wave.
Swim
  • 18m 7s
  • 792 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt surprisingly relaxed throughout the swim. Breathing every second stroke for most of the race, but there were sections where I breathed every fourth stroke. Wetsuit kept me warm and buoyant. Even though the water visibility was nearly non-existent (black/dark brown water), it didn't bother me. HOWEVER, my sighting/navigation was TERRIBLE! I didn't realize I couldn't swim in a straight line in open water. The race was counterclockwise, and I kept veering to the right and ended up doing zig zags for the entire loop. I was so far to the right, that I didn't have to deal w/ any other swimmers. I must have swam an additional quarter of a mile. It didn't bother me too much and was glad that I didn't feel winded at the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more frequently. Learn to breath bilaterally. Learn to swim straight. Do open water swims.
Transition 1
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Took my time in transition. Put on my glasses first. Took off my wetsuit w/out problems. Drank some gatorade. Pulled on tri-shirt and windbreaker (it was chilly), put on socks, shoes, and helmet, and off I went.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 20s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 14.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Really windy day, coupled w/ a moderately hilly course (for me), resulted in a very slow time. It's hard to believe that I upgraded from a mountain bike to a road bike and still averaged less than 15 mph.

Ride longer distances w/ hills. Bottom line: more time needed in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Easy transition as I don't have bike shoes to deal with. Downed a gel and drank some gatorade. My hamstrings were really tight and I had to stretch a bit before the run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 34m 36s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great. Nice easy run. Stopped and drank at each water station. Not too slow and not too fast. Strong finish so as to impress the family.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, stretched, and then took some pictures with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obvious that I need a lot more time on the bike. Also, I need to work on sighting and swimming straight.

Event comments:

Nice event. Well organized. Water quality for the swim is questionable. Wind made the bike more challenging than I expected, but the roads were nice for bike and run. Good early race.

Last updated: 2007-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:07 | 792 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 206/247
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca sleeveless
Course: One lap in a relatively small, dark pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:36:20 | 23.5 miles | 14.64 mile/hr
Overall: 215/247
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: One loop on nice well paved country roads. First 1/3 of the race was slightly uphill w/ strong headwinds.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:36 | 04 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Overall: 154/247
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-09 11:52 AM

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-09 12:25 PM
in reply to: #794583

User image

Hawai'i
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Sprint Triathlon
Was the water that brown color with what looks like lots of sedement? We always called it cedar water. There were times in high school for track when training in the pine barrens we would even drink it. Not sure if I could do that now. Anyway since I have started swimming I have been wondering what it would be like to swim in that water. From what I can remember as a kid you could never see a foot in front of you.

Congrats on your race
2007-05-09 12:47 PM
in reply to: #794642

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
I wouldn't recommend drinking this water!  While folks were complaining about how disgusting it felt to sink into the muck up to your shins, I was happy that it kept my feet warm.  Once you started swimming, the water didn't smell or taste that bad...   
2007-05-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #794675

User image

New user

Fairfax, VA
Hey man, you had a solid run time...I bet you got at least 5 minutes you could have shaved off your time easily! I am excited about maybe being local for another year; that is a lot of stuff we will get to do together!! We'll see if the bank accounts can handle the fun! ha
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed