Set Up Events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 43s
Overall Rank = 14/138
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Ate one and a half bagels with cream cheese. Drank two cups of coffee. Left house at 5:45am
Event warmup:

wam for about 15 minutes before race start.
Swim
  • 14m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really good swim for me. I felt good in the water and I felt good out of the water. This is the lowest I have placed on a swim, yet I felt like it was my best swim. So I am still very happy with my performance even though my placement was low.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Tried 3 times to get my a sock on. Kept missing my foot! But I got it rolled down, all was good.

Not miss my foot.
Bike
  • 31m 14s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. I rode aggressively trying to catch females. Unfortunately, I didn't catch that many (I counted 5). I know this is my strength so I try to my best to pass as many folks as possible before the run.

I probably should back off to save someting for the run. But cycling is sooo much fun and I do love to go fast.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

T2 was a blur. This was my fastest transition yet. I racked the bike, slid out of my shoes slid on my running flats and grabbed my number.

Learn how to dismount with the shoes on the bike.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a side-stitch from the start, but was able to breathe through it. I really suffered on this run. I felt like I was giving it everything I had. So I was very disappointed with my time. I honestly thought that if the finish line was 200 ft further, I would have puked. I tried pumping my arms, I felt like I was running with a good kick. I was absolutely wiped out at the finish.

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe not ride 51 miles two days before a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Gasped and mingled.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I'm just tired. This is the most agressive race schedule I've ever attempted. It has been three months since my last true recovery (not race) week. I have another sprint next Sunday. I am going to modify my training schedule to include more rest this week so I can recover for my A races.

Event comments:

Clemson is a deep fielded race. When I saw my overall finish at the site, I was ok with it because I did drop two minutes from my time last year. I know this is an incredibly competivie field. But when I saw my run time, I was upset. I KNOW I can do better than that. It was a huge opportunity to move up in the rankings if I had just put in an average run performance for myself. But that was all I could do today. I know in my heart that I raced as fast as I could today. My poor body just needs a little rest. So I am pleased with my effort and very happy that I improved my overall time from last year.

Last updated: 2007-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:40 | 820 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 20/138
Performance: Good
Suit: Pearl Izumi Tri Top/Zoot Tri Shorts
Course: Triangular counter-clockwise swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:14 | 11 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 5/138
Wind: None
Course: 11 mile loop with one steep climb at mile 3. The rest was all rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 36/138
Performance: Below average
Course: Supposedly an out and back 5K. Most folks thought it was a bit longer than 5K. Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-12 7:51 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2007-05-12 8:09 PM
in reply to: #798330

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon
Nice evaluation and strong race,  way to give it what you have.  good luck in your training this week and next weeks race.
2007-05-12 8:50 PM

User image

Newberry
Good race. You were really flying on the bike. At least Lake Murray is on a Sunday and we can get another day between Clemson and it. Good luck.
2007-05-12 11:01 PM

Regular
SC
Just found this feature of BT. Pretty cool!

I also thought I was going to toss cookies after the run. For some reason I just felt like it took a while for me to turn over from bike to run, and the course was fairly challenging, IMHO. Awesome transitions and great performance!

I think we may have seen you after the race, but I'm not sure. My wife and I were walking back to the car with our daughter, and she was saying "'Scuse me, mommy..." and someone that I thought resembles your profile pic was there and heard her. Hopefully the few of us can at least meet and say hello at Lake Murray. I know Eric, so maybe he can be the go-between for some of us.

See you then, and train smart this week!
2007-05-13 6:49 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Awesome performance. Take a day off and get a massage. Seems like you and the podium are becoming good friends. Congratulations.
2007-05-13 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Girl, you were flying! And I'd have to agree with the run course seeming a little longer than a 5K, but it wasn't too bad. Enjoy resting this week, and Lake Murray next week!

2007-05-13 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
Way to go kid! That T1 and T2 time is awesome! You were absolutely flying out there! Good luck at Lake Murray and go fast!
2007-05-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: #798727

My GPS said 3.16 miles...probably not terribly accurate though.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed