View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, Washington, D.C.
United States
Total Time = 49m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little later than I had planned. Ran around the house getting things together and getting dressed. Pinned our numbers on, grabbed some water & the directions and ran out the door. Didn't give myself time to eat anything which I regreted later but now I know better for next time.
Event warmup:

Walked about 2 blocks from the parking garage to the start. I was amazed at the number of people there! Found a place to sit and stretch then walked a half block to the actual start line.
Run
  • 49m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 16m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Stayed up way to late the night before and didn't eat anything before the race. I was feeling tired before the race even started. Also forgot my watch in the car so I was frustrated and worried I wouldn't be able to pace myself. Lined up near the back of the runners and beginning of the walkers. The temp was great starting out and the shade helped a lot too. Started out pretty fast but realized it was TOO fast and slowed down. Was passed a lot by runners but still felt good. Then came the hill. About a half mile in we hit a hill that must have been 70 degrees up for about a block and a half! Tried to keep running but the "hill from hell" was just too much! Had to slow to a walk until I was up the hill. Since I didn't have my watch I was sure it really destroyed my time and I was hoping to do about the same time as the last race if not better so I was frustrated. The only water stop was about 2 miles in and I was so happy to see it! Once the sun came out from behind the clouds it heated up fast. Started to feel very sick and thirsty. Kept running but slowed down. My friend who started the race in front of me had finished and came back to run the rest with me. I was so happy to see him. Wasn't feeling good at all. Had to walk again or I was going to be sick. Hit the 3 mile mark and just kicked it up to a pretty good run for the last bit. Was happy to finish and releaved my time wasn't worse than I thought it was going to be. Once I drank some water and sat in the shade I felt much better.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't feel good at all going into this race and it showed once I started the run! I need to be more prepared next time. Need to get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water and eat something prior to my next race. Also need to work on the hills!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the National Law Enforecement Officers Memorial. Drank some water and ate a banana.

Last updated: 2007-05-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:39 | 03.1 miles | 16m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Downtown Washington DC. The course took us out and around the Capitol building then back to the finish line at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-13 10:16 PM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: National Police Week 5k

2007-05-13 11:05 PM
in reply to: #799104

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: RE: National Police Week 5k
Sounds like a very cool course even though the run itself was rough!  Way to push through and make it to the end, and how cool that you got to do it w/your friend and that he came back to finish w/you!  Another one to add to the list of accomplishments and as you said, somthin to learn from so you'll no better next time.    I don't think I could finish a race w/out eating anything first....makes my stomach hurt just thinkin about it!  Congrats on another big finish!  
2007-05-14 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Had to check in to see what you decided about eating before the race.  I guess nothing, eh.    Good job pushing through and doing the race anyway even with the lack of sleep.  You did good!  I started doing races last year and I still haven't figured out this pacing stuff.  It's all good and every race teaches you new things for your next one.  Keep on runnin'!!!!!

Diane

2007-05-17 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

WOOHOO!  Great job pushing through the challenges and finishing strong! 

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Police Week 5k Rss Feed