Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-18 1:37 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
OK! Our Group has been formed! Everybody say hello to each other! Our group consists of:

Andi
Derek
Kat
Christine
Caru
Angela
Barb

Each of you have some unique goals and as we discuss them, each of you may learn something new. If you have some thoughts, don't hesitate to jump in! The group is here for all of us to support each other, learn from each other and to provide you with an opportunity to address very specific things.

What I have learned from your bios is that all of us can physically complete the distance (whether it is a sprint, olympic, half-ironman or full ironman). It is the execution of the race and the techniques of the different disciplines that we can focus upon that will make your experience more enjoyable.

ASSIGNMENT: (This is my corporate training mode coming through....sorry!) Each of you have a race coming up in the next couple of months. The first thing you should do is to learn as much about the course as possible.

MY DELIVERABLE TO YOU: The first thing I will provide you is a checklist of things you need for your triathlon. Planning ahead is the first key to successful execution of your race.

NUTRITION HELP: For those who need assistance on nutrition, please start tracking your nutrition intake. Keep it simple. Just list what you eat for each meal. Post your nutrition each day here for all of us to review. I will make some suggestions. Let me make the disclaimer that I am not a nutritionist. But, I have 50 years experience in dealing with wait loss and decreasing body fat levels.

I'm excited to helping each and everyone of you. You can ask any question! The more interaction and participation in this group, the more benefit you will receive. If I don't have an answer for you immediately, I will research it for you and provide links or resources.

Here is to a GREAT triathlon group!

Rich

2007-05-18 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Woo hoo!  This is going to be great!  Thanks so much, Rich, for your enthusiasm and your organized approach....

You'll be happy to know that I'm going out to Lake Pflugerville (where my next race is) to join some other BT'ers for an OWS and a tour of the bike course. Apparently a few of them live nearby and practice that route regularly so I'm planning to pick their brains while I'm desperately trying to keep up!

And I'm so glad that you're starting us on the nutrition tracking today instead of yesterday.  Had a going-away dinner party for a friend last night. Oink! I'll be better today....

2007-05-18 7:43 AM
in reply to: #805541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - OPEN
I just found a couple of club rides to do 2x a week recently (had my first ride last night and they kicked my butt!).

I'm fairly disciplined (a result of the Taekwon Do training), so I'm okay with swimming and running on my own. It is definately the biking where I need to be pushed harder. When I go out no my own, I tend to take it a bit easy.

I have had tremendous succes using HAMMER nutrition products (e-caps.com). Specifically Perpetuem for long workouts/rides and then use HEED and gel packs as backup for quick energy. It's the only way I can do those early morning workouts. I am happy to say that I have never had a blood sugar crisis on the bike. (During my glucose tolerance test my blood sugar dropped to 32; so I don't think I just have a mild issue.)

Please let me know how things go with the products you are trying.

I am not following a specific plan. I've just taken lots of advise from this website. I got shin splints in the beginning when I started running. So I backed off and did walking/running drills. That has worked great. I am up to nearly 4 miles of mostly running. I'm slow, but I get there. And without injury.

April and May I "ramped" up the training. I took 3 consecutive days off last week (first time I've done that since I-don't-know-when). But this week have several double workouts planned (I have done a bit of brick training as well) and will continue to push hard until June 7 when I leave for 6 days in Mexico. I will keep working out while there -- but it will be the start of some gradual tapering before the race.

I think that's a great idea -- I will figure on Steelman as my "A" race for this year. Uh oh. Did I just say that? Am I already thinking of continuing to race next year too??? ;-)

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-18 7:45 AM
2007-05-18 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Mmmk...I'll go first. Let us begin to take a look at the bottomless pit that is my stomach. Yesterday was a really bad day, for the record. I'm usually better with nutrition, but I can get lazy...

Barb's Nutrition Update for Thursday, May 17th.

Breakfast
Banana Nut Muffin

Late Morning Snack
Sweet and Salty Nature's Valley Granola Bar (Almond)
Kraft Cheese & Cracker To Go Pack (Mini Triscuits and Colby)

Late Lunch
6" Subway Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich on Wheat
Bag of Sun Chips
Iced Tea

Late Afternoon Munchies (I was stuck at the office until 7 and needed something!)
Pepsi
3 Musketeers

Dinner
Chicken Soft Tacos from Chipotle (salsa, sour cream and cheese)

I probably had about 5-6 glasses of water throughout the day as well, if you want us tracking that, too.

I suppose I should note...I work in a very stressful department at an Ad Agency. And to top it all off...Mars is one of our clients. So we've got their family of candy bar brands at our disposal all day long for snacking. It's bad. I'm pretty good about avoiding temptation...but some days, like yesterday, I cave.
2007-05-18 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Regarding the lung issue, I do have clearance. My doctor is okay with it and my coaches are well versed on the situation and what to do if something happens to me. Thanks for the heads up on the HR with the swim. No problems in the pool just yet, although that may change when I have my first OWS--just waiting for Lake Michigan to warm up a pinch. I’ve actually considered picking up a HRM for training, but having the belt around my chest really irritated me.

You hit the nail on the head with the bike paranoia. Hopefully, if the weather is nice, I’ll be able to get to a parking lot. And I’m already checking out the BT training programs. I just realized that I’m...oh...a ripe SEVEN weeks away...that’s enough time, right?

Okay...so...ridiculous question number 1 (and I’m asking this for my husband)...if you’re planning on doing the swim in a wet suit with your bike/run gear on underneath, do you go ahead and pin your bib on your tri shirt before putting on the wet suit? I asked on the main board and was told to use a belt, however, consider his tri is in the morning, and we don’t have a belt, that option is out. Would he be better off leaving his shirt off during the swim and putting it on in T1? Or just swimming with his bib already in place?
2007-05-18 9:56 AM

User image

Houston
I am glad we are going to focus on Nutrition. That has been something that has been the biggest question mark for me....as in I need people to tell me I dont need Mc Donalds at 1am ( which I passed on last night.
I will keep track of my intake for the day and report back tonight!!

2007-05-18 10:34 AM
in reply to: #806316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Barb:

Quick Response for tomorrow - Pin the number to the shirt and wear the shirt underneath the wetsuit.

Longer Response - I will tell you what I do! I do use a race belt. On shorter distances, I affix the number to the belt and then wear it under my wetsuit. It is one less thing I have to do! I wear the number on my backside under the wetsuit. During the bike ride, you are suppose to have your number on your back or behind you. During the run, I just rotate the belt so that my number is in front!

For tomorrow, don't worry if your husband's number is affixed to the front or back of the shirt. As long as he has it on, he'll be fine!

Hope this helps!

Rich

(And by the way....it wasn't a ridiculous question ...... this is one of those tips and tricks that improves "execution" of a race.)
2007-05-18 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
A belt is what my TNT coaches are saying as well. They actually recommend NOT pinning because of the chance that a pin may open up and either damage the wet suit, or worse yet, give you a little poke.

I'm not sure what a "belt" is, but I'm sure I'll find out soon!
2007-05-18 10:38 AM
in reply to: #806323

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
That will be GREAT, Derek ..... and I'm glad you past on the McDonald's at 1:00 AM (YIKES!!!!) Hopefully I can get you moving towards that "mean, lean, endurance machine".

Look forward to seeing your blog!

Rich
2007-05-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: #806432

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Navigate to this website. Do you know where there is a "running shoe store" near by? They might have a racebelt.

http://www.trisports.com/racenumberbelt.html

The other option your husband has is to pin the number to the shirt and put the shirt on after the swim. (I'm a risk taker and never had a problem ...... BUT, be on the safe side!)

Rich
2007-05-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #806274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Thanks Barb for volunteering to go first! Overall, not horrendously bad! If you want we can work on making some tweaks to your diet that will help in developing an efficient fueling machine.

I like the five meal/snack approach. Good Start. So the best thing I see on your meal plan is your "Late Lunch". It has a combo of protein and carbs. I want you to start looking at labels/nutritional values! I also want you to start thinking whole foods! You may consider matching protein with carbs. Here are some of the things that I eat:

Protein (Examples)
Lean Pork Loin
Skinless Chicken Breast
Fish
Tofu
Egg Whites

Simple Carbs
Yam
Whole Wheat Bread
Potato (Baked or boiled)

Natural Carbs
Apples
Bananas
Peach
Pears
Strawberries

Complex Carbs
Sante Fe Veggie Mix (Frozen)
Broccoli
Asparagas
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots (sparingly for me....they have sugar and shoot by blood sugar levels)
Spinach, Spinach, Spinach (Salads and steamed)
Romaine Lettuce

I know that candy is available and oooooh I know the temptation! One of the gals in the office has a shrine to M&Ms in her cubicle. I think she has every kind of M&M that would rival the M&M Museum in Las Vegas. So don't eliminate the candy, just have one per week and enjoy it!

Pepsi (Pop, Soda) is empty sugars and creates bloating. Not something you want to continue with on a regular basis. One per week ...... OK....... but, try to ensure that you cut back.

What I'm proposing in essence is that you change up your diet to a more protein / carb eating habit. Notice I didn't use the word diet. This is not about dieting. It is about making smart choices in what we choose to use as fuel for our bodies. You are looking for the best fuel that will be the most efficient in providing you energy and power.

I hear you about a stressful job... the ad industry is at the top end of the stress spectrum. Sometimes are food choices can contribute to the stress.

I hope this makes sense. Please ask questions! Kudos for going first. THANKS!

RunningJayhawk - 2007-05-18 9:36 AM

Mmmk...I'll go first. Let us begin to take a look at the bottomless pit that is my stomach. Yesterday was a really bad day, for the record. I'm usually better with nutrition, but I can get lazy...

Barb's Nutrition Update for Thursday, May 17th.

Breakfast
Banana Nut Muffin

Late Morning Snack
Sweet and Salty Nature's Valley Granola Bar (Almond)
Kraft Cheese & Cracker To Go Pack (Mini Triscuits and Colby)

Late Lunch
6" Subway Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich on Wheat
Bag of Sun Chips
Iced Tea

Late Afternoon Munchies (I was stuck at the office until 7 and needed something!)
Pepsi
3 Musketeers

Dinner
Chicken Soft Tacos from Chipotle (salsa, sour cream and cheese)

I probably had about 5-6 glasses of water throughout the day as well, if you want us tracking that, too.

I suppose I should note...I work in a very stressful department at an Ad Agency. And to top it all off...Mars is one of our clients. So we've got their family of candy bar brands at our disposal all day long for snacking. It's bad. I'm pretty good about avoiding temptation...but some days, like yesterday, I cave.

2007-05-18 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
thanks for going first Barb!

Rich you want us to write our food diary (for 1 week only) here or on our training logs?

Q: I go spinning in the morning at 6. By the end of the class i am dehydrated and super hungry. what to do when i don't really feel like waking up at 5 and eating? I don't eat after 7PM usually, otherwise i wake up feeling gross.

Thanks for the food breakdown and suggestions, that is great.
2007-05-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: #806578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Morning Caru!

Go ahead and enter it in your diary, but if you can post one or two days here that would be good. We can use everyone's nutrition for learning opportunities.

For early morning workouts, I may have a lowfat yogurt if I am going longer than an hour. If it is an hour class, you might consider eating just after. Hunger and dehydration are actually two separate issues. How much fluid are you drinking during your class? For early morning spin classes, I will have most of a 25 oz bottle of water prior to class and consume a 25 oz bottle of water during class. I can loose up to 2 lbs. in water during a heavy spin class. (I'm one of those jerks that pushes the instructor and the rest of the class hates us until after the class when they say "Wow, what a great class today!") I sweat a lot indoors.

Let's talk caloric burn for a second: A lowfat yogurt = 140 calories. Sports Drink (like Gatorade) = 260 calories. Spin class, I can burn approximately 1200 calories.

During a normal day (without exercise), a person burns approximately 3500. Let's say you consume 2600 calories per day. What is your calorie deficit? 900 right? Let's say you burn 4700 calories per day (regular day plus a spin class) minus caloric intake of 2600. What is your deficit now? 1100 calories, right?! Over a period of days to loose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories to loose 1 pound. So in this scenario, it would take 3 to 4 days to loose 1 lb. (That is a good scenario). Now what you lost may be both fat and muscle........ ooops, but don't you need muscle for triathlons? Yes..... core strength training may be helpful in increasing lean body muscle. Remember that muscle is heavier so it might seem to retard weight loss, but you also may experience a loss around the waistline and other parts of your body.

So my message, is don't starve yourself or skip a meal and try to make up for it later. Skipping meals will train the body to horde calories taken in as "fat" to use up later. It slows down the metabolism. Eating small 300 to 400 calorie meals throughout the day creates an improved metabolic conversion rate.

I'm sure this little post will prompt some questions so ask away!

Rich

carustol - 2007-05-18 11:11 AM

thanks for going first Barb!

Rich you want us to write our food diary (for 1 week only) here or on our training logs?

Q: I go spinning in the morning at 6. By the end of the class i am dehydrated and super hungry. what to do when i don't really feel like waking up at 5 and eating? I don't eat after 7PM usually, otherwise i wake up feeling gross.

Thanks for the food breakdown and suggestions, that is great.
2007-05-18 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
To Everyone! Just checked your logs! GREAT JOB!

Check KAT's log out everyone. He is including both cardio (swim, bike, run) but also some strenght training! Good Job, KAT!

To review a log, click on the one of the group member's name by one of their posts. It will open a window. Down at bottom, click on the "Log" button.

If you opened my log previously, you would notice that I don't have anything really in my log. I post my training data with my coaches, but for sake of using examples or giving you a view for some thoughts and questions, I will start posting my workouts here, too.

If you like reading, here is a resource that you might find helpful.

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/index.htm

I read their articles all the time. Some of this information may be a little advanced, but it also might prompt questions. (Derek: You might find this site particularly helpful. These are techniques used by some nationally ranked triathletes.)
2007-05-18 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Christine's Nutrition for Thursday, May 17
(most of these meals aren't eaten all at once, but spread out over one or two hours -- I'm a slow eater -- unless it's pizza)

Breakfast = 320
Decaf coffee w/cream & sugar
3 veggie links
1 piece of wheat toast w/spread
Herbal tea

Snack = 260
1/2 banana
3/4 cup Raisin bran cerial w/soy milk
Raw almonds

Lunch = 315
Mixed green salad
Soy bologna sandwich

Snack = 320
Perpetuem drink during ride
Heed during ride

Dinner = 740
Post ride pasta w/marinara & garlic knot

Total = 1,955

I don't normally have dinner like that -- if I work out, usually the Perpetuem is enough and a light snack later. But last night's ride was tough and I needed food. Otherwise, this is about what I eat every day -- with an occasionally candy bar or pizza night, which is apparently enough to keep one from loosing weight. :-0
2007-05-18 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.

Afternoon, Christine: You wrote the following:

I have had tremendous success using HAMMER nutrition products (e-caps.com). Specifically Perpetuem for long workouts/rides and then use HEED and gel packs as backup for quick energy. It's the only way I can do those early morning workouts. I am happy to say that I have never had a blood sugar crisis on the bike. (During my glucose tolerance test my blood sugar dropped to 32; so I don't think I just have a mild issue.)

Please let me know how things go with the products you are trying.

I personally like the HAMMER nutrition products. I use the e-caps on long rides and use the Hammer Gel in a water flask on my runs. I've never used the Perpetuem. I'll have to check it out. I'm using InfinIT as my sports drink now for the Half-Ironman training.

General note to everyone: It sounds like Christine has tried different nutrition products during her bike ride. Every person is different. What may work for Christine and I, may not work for you. So during your training, try different products until you find one that works for you. If you have done other endurance events and tried different nutrition items like GU or Hammer Gel, or other products, try using them on the bike to see if they work for you during the bike discipline.

I generally eat about 2 hours before an event (Yogurt, Tofu, and Toast)

Here was my nutrition for Wildflower Oly

2 to 3 glasses of Gatorade (Pre-Race in transition area)

- Nothing during Swim

- Bike Ride
1 Cliff Block (preset in Transition. Popped it in my mouth as soon as I reach my bike
3 Bottles of Gatorade (2 bottle on bike.... tossed empty and was handed off new bottle in nutrition zone)
1 Cliff Bar
1 Cliff Block (Preset in my Bento Box)
(Stopped solids 30 minutes before end of bike ride)

- Run
1 Cliff Block
2 Flasks (preset in race number belt/fuel belt)
2 Glasses of Gatorade at aid stations

Notice that I didn't drink any water. For me, the water dilutes my blood sugar level, and washes out the sodium levels. I then tend to go hypoglycemic. It is OK to drink water. You will need to test this out for yourselves.

2007-05-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: #806938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
You're making some good choices! Good show.

cmbcwb3 - 2007-05-18 1:26 PM

Christine's Nutrition for Thursday, May 17
(most of these meals aren't eaten all at once, but spread out over one or two hours -- I'm a slow eater -- unless it's pizza)

Breakfast = 320
Decaf coffee w/cream & sugar (Subsitute the cream with Non-Fat Milk)
3 veggie links
1 piece of wheat toast w/spread (Good!)
Herbal tea

Snack = 260
1/2 banana
3/4 cup Raisin bran cerial w/soy milk
Raw almonds (Can't remember the amoutn of protein, I" have to check)

Lunch = 315
Mixed green salad (What was your dressing?
Soy bologna sandwich (Was the bread, wheat? Was it a dry sandwich or did you have condoments?)

Snack = 320
Perpetuem drink during ride
Heed during ride

Dinner = 740
Post ride pasta w/marinara & garlic knot (In normal conditions, I would change this to a lean protein and complex carbs, but listen to your body given your hypoglycemic condition.)

Total = 1,955

I'm not sure about your Total Caloric intake. Here is a link that has a calculator to determine the number of calories you need. Your calorie intake may be too much. Worth a look see!

http://nutrition.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Daily-Metabolism&...

The only other thing you might was to check on is when you have your heaviest meal. I generally eat my heaviest meal for lunch. I, myself follow the following

1st Meal = 350 at 6:30 AM
2nd Meal/Snack = 300 at 9:30 AM (I call this 2nd Breakfast)
3rd Meal (Lunch) = 550 at 12:30 PM
4th Meal/Snack = 200 at 4:30 PM
5th Meal = 400 @ 7:30 PM

I try not to eat any later than 8:00 PM. I consume on average roughly 1800 calories per day. (Yeah the Pizza sneaks in there every once and a while ..... Ya Gotta Live, Don't Yah?)

If you check out the calorie calculator let know how many calories you should be consuming on a daily basis.

GOOD JOB, Christine!
2007-05-18 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Thanks Rich!

I never heard that about water and blood sugar. Very interesting. I appreciate your qualifying that everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another.

I guess most would say we should figure out what works best before race day and stick to it on race day.

I do think I take in too many calories some days. The results speak for themselves (no further weight loss). I will check out that link.

P.S. It was wheat bread (sandwich), dry w/lettuce.

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-05-18 3:20 PM
2007-05-18 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
This is so insightful!

Most definately will try a yogurt or endorance powder (perpetueum) in the mornings.

may 17th 2007
1 egg 4 whole wheat crackers
COFFE!!!!!!!!(ORGANIC 2%milk)

ORANGE
Cashews

Burger(NO BUN)
spinach salad -mush& tomat(italian dress)

Cashews
Activia yogurt with Muesli
Orange
kettle chips handful

May 18th

2 coffee (ORGANIC 2%milk)
Bagel w/cc

Spinach/egg/onion/palm hearts salad
Steak (size was big big!)

dehydrated apple slices 4

way more to come.....
2007-05-18 8:52 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Okay, y'all eat way too healthy for me!  If I think too much about food, it drives me crazy and I eat more. 

Here's my food intake for the day:

breakfast:  coffee w/no fat french vanilla creamer, son's leftover waffle (no syrup)

lunch:  pasta (no butter) w/grilled lemon chicken and steamed broccoli, VitaminWater

snack:  GoLean Roll, small banana

late snack:  Luna bar (before swimming)

dinner:  7 whole grain puff cereal w/soy milk, cup of strawberries

I also drink 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day.

I honestly will have a hard time writing down everything I eat.   I'm not a stress eater.  I'm more of a social eater/nibbler.  I eat when I'm hungry.  If I have a craving, I'll wait about 15 minutes before indulging.  Most times I forget that I wanted it in the first place.  Sometimes just drinking water makes me feel better.  I'll do my best to log my food so I can get input on changes that I need to make.

2007-05-18 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Ok...so here's my food log for today:

Food log: 
7:30 am - Gu Packet/Diet Coke before workout
9:30 am - Frosted Miniwheats Cereal w/ 2% milk, water, 1 tbsp. peanut butter
12:00 pm - Asian Chicken Salad (grilled) from McDonald's, bottled water
2:00 pm - small apple, cheese stick, water bottle filled with 1/2 OJ 1/2 water
4:00 pm - I'm starving! Kashi Go Lean crunch with 2% milk
7:00 pm - Beef Tips w/noodles, salad, caffeine-free diet coke, mini KitKat, water

It's funny, because all day long, I would think about what I needed to eat and then think "What would Rich say about that?" So, I tried to do better today.  I've been awfully hungry lately, though.  Is that from the additional strength training?  I just started being consistent about that 3 weeks ago.

2007-05-19 2:14 AM
in reply to: #807615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Kat! You got it! That is exactly what I want you to do....think about what Rich would do or eat! I just got re-measure for body fat %. I'm at 17%.....down from 25% in 4 1/2 months. I've lost 20 lbs. using the protein/carbo combination. Remember simple carbs with protein in the morning and complex carbs (veggies) with your protein in the evening. This approach really works

Angela: Don't stress ..... and yeahh! I'm wanting you to train smart and eat smart! This group is eating health..... many of you want to work on your bodies.... shape up or tone up.....well, ya kinda have to work at it! But bigger picture.... you will be doing your bodies a lot of good. Start reading the labels...it will scare the you know what out of ya!

Everyone is making some good choices (and some not so good choices....), but let's keep it on the positive side. Review the post dated 5-18 at 10:59 A.M. There are some key aspects in that post that will help you loose body fat, decrease weight. Think about it this way. I've lost 20lbs in 4 months. That is 20 lbs less that I have to carry with me over 56 miles during the Vineman 70.3 race. In addition, I have also increased lean body mass that can be employeed for the race. That translates to a faster time, better prepares your body for these types of events and aids in faster recovery after the event.

General Note to everyone: Try to do your more starchy carbs in the early part of the day and your complex carbs in the later part of the day (veggies). Fruits can be thrown in! Protein powder mixed with hot water and oatmeal is a very good option for a late afternoon snack if you need more simple carbs.

Some of you are reporting your intake of water during the day! GREAT JOB! You do want to drink water.

I truly hope you are seeing value in the information so far.
2007-05-19 2:24 AM
in reply to: #807610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
yoblondie - 2007-05-18 8:52 PM

Okay, y'all eat way too healthy for me!  If I think too much about food, it drives me crazy and I eat more. 

Here's my food intake for the day:

breakfast:  coffee w/no fat french vanilla creamer, son's leftover waffle (no syrup)

lunch:  pasta (no butter) w/grilled lemon chicken and steamed broccoli, VitaminWater

snack:  GoLean Roll, small banana

late snack:  Luna bar (before swimming)

dinner:  7 whole grain puff cereal w/soy milk, cup of strawberries

I also drink 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day.

I honestly will have a hard time writing down everything I eat.   I'm not a stress eater.  I'm more of a social eater/nibbler.  I eat when I'm hungry.  If I have a craving, I'll wait about 15 minutes before indulging.  Most times I forget that I wanted it in the first place.  Sometimes just drinking water makes me feel better.  I'll do my best to log my food so I can get input on changes that I need to make.

Angela:

Good on the non-fat vanilla creamer. For breakfast, I would add a protein (egg white, yogurt, of even non-fat cottage cheese.) ;GREAT Lunch!!!!!!!. Check the Luna bar on Carbos and Protein. For dinner, I would add a protein.....maybe substitute the grain puff cereal with veggies.

Your doing a good job, Angela.....don't stress. Even if you start with targeting one meal and working on improving choices, that is a start. If you eat late or heavy at night, what happens to the energy? It isn't used. Your body is in the process of shutting down in the evening. So the body tells your stomach and blood stream to save the sugars/glycogin as fat! Eventhough your body is still burning calories while you sleep, it can't process all of the recently consumed calories if you eat late or over eat.

Rich
2007-05-19 2:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
SATURDAY, May 19, 2007!

I will be out on my bike with the team I belong to! 2 hours out/2 hours in with a 30 minute run. I hope you all have a GREAT training day. Let's hear what you accomplished! Barb: Hope your husband does/did well in his triathlon!

BE SAFE!

Rich
2007-05-19 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

I went out to the Lake Pflugerville bike course to get familiar with the course. I rode with a couple of guys who were nice enough to show me around.  We did two full loops of the 14 mile course - one slow and one time trial - and then a shortened loop to cool down.  I averaged 16.4 on the time trial loop, which is faster than I usually ride, but slower than I want to be.

So I asked this question on the Triathlon Talk forum a few weeks back and got some mixed answers - I'm curious, Rich, as to what advice you have.  What's the best way for me to get faster on my bike? Is it more mileage, riding harder with some intervals, or some combination of the two?  It seemed opinions on the matter were a bit split in the forum.  I have lots of hills to work on around here, but few straightaways.  Also, since my time is limited, I want to make the most of the workouts I do get in.  What do you think?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46