BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-06-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: #801922

Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Scott F's group - FULL!

On the topic of tapering, I agree that it doesn't do much for a sprint distance, or any race under 2hrs IMO.  I "tapered" about a week before my first 2 run races, 5k and 10k, and it really didn't see like I was running faster than training.  My last one, 8k, I didn't drop off at all, except the day before I took off, and it actually felt like the best race ever.  It might be more because I am getting used to running more, but I just felt like the taper wasn't giving me anything other than restlessness.

I used to be pretty scared of injuries, especially 2 weeks leading up to my tri.  Mainly because I would have been pissed to miss a race that I have been planning to do for months and paid for.  Now that I have that first one over though, I think I wouldn't be as upset to miss one.

Well for me, I actually have been riding the bike a lot more. The problem is, I don't have anyone to really ride with. Now London has a cycle club, but its a road tour club and you have to pay to join, and even they don't have a forum. There isn't any local clubs around here for people to chat on about biking.

So instead of complaining about it, I took a day out of my life and made one.

You can check it out at http://www.londonbikeclub.com

The domain is new so give it a day or two before your local DNS is updated with it, but its there. Until that link works you can see it here as well http://ns24.mochahost.com/~londonbikeclub.com

Anyway, I have lots of bugs with the site to still work out, and I am going to go take some pictures for the site today. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe out there. No skinned knees or boo-boos.

2007-06-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: #865890

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Robb - 2007-06-29 11:11 AM

I am going to go take some pictures for the site today.

Are these pictures of the trail you're building? Its about time!

You know, you aren't too far from me. I live pretty much 2.5 hours due west. I could pack up the homegrown and meet up for a trail ride someday. I have a couple buddies that ride a lot more than me, that would always be up for a day trip.

That's pretty cool that you can just whip up a new site like that.
2007-06-29 12:02 PM

Veteran
Ontario

^ well thats what being a nerd gets you

Fanshawe Conservation has an awesome trail, well worth the trip.  Its about 22km single track around a lake.  All pretty quick, and well maintained.

We also have the ski club, bolor mountain, put on some trails too.  About 10km, but a lot more technical.

Anyway, camera is charged so I am off :D 

2007-06-29 10:31 PM

Veteran
Ontario

So I went out today on the trails.  There was a little mud let over from the storm...and I kind of...fell in it...

Anyway, I have updated a little tour of some of the trails on my site.  You can see it here. My goal is to eventually map them all with pics to help people who have never done them before.  London is nick-named the "forrest city" so I would like to get more people out onto the trails.

2007-06-30 12:21 AM

User image

Parker
Hey all - I'm going to be out for the next week visiting family. I will try to post but don't know when I will be able to log on. I do have a workout plan - I'll try to stick with it. Eating will be the hardest. It is hard to eat what you need to eat when you aren't the one cooking or planning the meals. Well - have a great week all and keep up the hard work.
Laurie
2007-07-05 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
What the heck?!?!?

I'm on vacation and I log in to see what's happening....

• .. nobody has anything to report?

• Oh that dog ain't gonna hunt!

When I get back, things are going to look a whole lot different around here ...

Get to work! Go Sweat! Put some miles on those shoes!

2007-07-05 11:13 PM
    in reply to: #873734

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
    Hey Matt,
    I am still here, Today it was hot and I think I made a bad choice to go for a 5 mile run but I finished it. I have been thirsty all day but I feel ok.

7 days to my first Tri "again".... can't wait
    2007-07-06 11:33 AM
    in reply to: #873918

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    MrSolis - 2007-07-06 12:13 AM

Hey Matt,
    I am still here, Today it was hot and I think I made a bad choice to go for a 5 mile run but I finished it. I have been thirsty all day but I feel ok.

7 days to my first Tri "again".... can't wait

I haven't quantified it, but it seems like your distances and durations have improved a lot since your last tri. You are going to great this time around Mauricio.

I was planning to swim across the lake that we are vacationing at, but the lack of chase boat changed my plans this morning. That was a bummer. I ended up measuring out a 50 yard stretch along shore and just doing laps. I tell you, its sort of tough without a wall to push off or a continuous stretch to keep your speed. I ended up sinking a couple of the kids' toys as under water turn bouys. I used that as bouying turning practice.

Tomorrow is a slow 5.5 mile jog around the lake. I'm trying to recruit a running partner, but I think I'm going to have to do this one solo too. I sure wish someone out here would exercise with me.

Anyone hear from Aaron?
    2007-07-06 12:48 PM
    in reply to: #874559

User image

Way to go Matt, way to stay active in your training while vacationing and kudos for getting creative with the bouys.
    My plan is to stay active during my Hawaii vacation next month but once we get there, I am not sure what will happen. I think it will be cool to do OWS in that ocean. I may need find a partner

Have fun
    2007-07-08 11:14 PM

User image

Parker
    Hey all- Hope that everyone had a great week. Back from the vacation. As usual ate too much and didn't exercise enough. I did do a 5K Freedom Run. It was a lot of fun. Ran a little over a ten min mile. I know that is slow but for me it is faster that the last run. My legs hurt so bad the next couple days that I am on a mission to get new shoes. The rest of the week I did nothing except chase kids and run all over with family.
    Monday is a new week and I'm motivated to get going.
    Laurie
    2007-07-09 7:33 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    Morning all!

I'm back at work after a week of vacation. Ahhhh, now I can relax .....

I started off the new week on the wrong foot though. I missed my alarm for a morning run. I woke up an hour and twenty minutes late and needed to rush just to get out the door to work on time! Not the way I wanted to start my first day back. Oh well, I'll swim at lunch like usual and then try to get the run in tonight. Its going to be tough though. We have training for VBS tonight. I get to run the fisherman's shop in our "Marketplace 29 AD".

I exercised a lot over the week, but also ate a lot and drank way more than my usual allotment of beer. If I gave you guys that actual numbers, you'd probably recommend a program for me ....

I stepped on the scales this morning though and it wasn't too bad. just a couple pounds over my previous low weight. I need to really clean up my diet for these next several weeks though. My next race is only about five or six weeks away and I'm still 8.5 pounds over my target weight. I'm not going to worry too much about getting to that weight. I'll just focus on consistent fat loss, and nothing more.

Let's see, anything else to report .... ?

Oh yeah, my oldest daughter finally got the hang of breathing while doing the crawl! She was bilateral breathing like a champ! I am sooooo proud of her! Thanks to Aunt Sharon for helping her out. She wouldn't listen to me. My middle daughter also made some strides in the water. Although, its not as major, she finally got comfortable in water above her head with a life jacket. She has never been comfortable in water over her shoulders, but she is making progress.

One last note, I'm going to have to change my avatar to reflect my new/old jeep. I was driving a 2003 wrangler, but that is now for sale. I bought an '84 jeep scrambler the night before we left for vacation. This thing is huge and is certainly worthy of a trip to Kentucky or Utah for some rockcrawling. I'll post some pictures of the beast when I get a chance.

Welcome back to all that were gone!

-Matt

2007-07-09 12:52 PM
    in reply to: #876893

User image

Welcome back from Vacation Matt and Laurie, Glad to hear you had a good time and recharged your batteries.

I am just getting ready to go on vacation next week but before that, I need to get the Tri monkey off my back. I have 5 days until race day and everytime I hear a new noise from my bike I wonder if it is going to break down on saturday.

Do you know anybody on Oahu that I can contact to train while on Vacation (my wife is ok with it if I train early before everybody wakes up). I found a couple of people on the internet and I already emailed. I might be able to do an OWS on friday with their club. I also found out there is a Triathlon the weekend after I come back, Had I known that, I could have stayed a few more days and did a OLY or a SRINT in the TINMAN TRI, in Oahu. This will be my excuse to go back to Oahu next year.

5 days and counting....

BTW, MAtt, that is so cool that your kids are getting more confortable in the water and post some pictures of your Jeep. My son decided to start driving my 1969 Bronco to school (he just got his license) This is cool because it gives me the excuse to fix it up and get it ready to crawl up some rocks, maybe the Rubicon.

Edited by MrSolis 2007-07-09 12:56 PM
    2007-07-09 3:08 PM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    whoa, you have a 69 bronco? that is very cool. you'll have to shoot some pics. my axles are actually off a '72. D44 and F9". We just don't get to see old classics around here like that. Too much salt on the roads.

Don't sweat the small sounds on the bike. I bet its just in read of a little cleaning and lube. What happened to you in your first race, would likely never happen to anyone else in this group. I'm sure you'll do great on Saturday.
    2007-07-11 11:14 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    I'm seriously lacking motivation to train this week.

Monday, missed my alarm, missed my morning run test, swam half-heartedly at lunch.
    Tuesday, hit snooze a couple times and had to cut my ride short.
    Wednesday, hit snooze for 40 minutes, skipped my morning run and now I don't want to swim today. I can get my run in tonight, but I am just totally lacking motivation to do any training.

I need a kick in the butt. Normally, I always have my training plan in the back of my mind, and I'm ready to kick off a session at just about any time. These last couple of days, I've been tinkering with my new jeep and can't get that off my mind. I knew I shouldn't have bought another one.
    2007-07-11 2:04 PM
    in reply to: #881063

User image

Matt,

I know how you feel. I ususally call those days "mental toughness training day". I try to see these kind of days as a challenge (you need mental toughness on race day right?) and I force myself to go out and do it.

At the pool the other day I told a guy "I guess I have to start in order to finish my work out" and his responce was "Yeap, motivation is always at the other end of the pool".

The last few days my diet has been a challenge. I ate ice cream a couple days in a row (of course it wasn't just a small scoop), and a few of the meals were not that great. I cannot loose any more weight, I am stuck at 240

I will send you some PICS of the bronco and you do the same of your Jeep

Get back on the wagon ( or jeep) and keep up the good work
    2007-07-12 8:04 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    Mauricio, here are some pictures that I snapped last night. These are all clickable links. The scrambler is the new "to me" rig. The TJ is for sale. It was my first jeep.

2007-07-12 1:15 PM
    in reply to: #882470

User image

NICE !!! EFI, that is on my wich list for mine

Thanks
    2007-07-12 1:37 PM
    in reply to: #883246

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    MrSolis - 2007-07-12 2:15 PM

NICE !!! EFI, that is on my wich list for mine

Thanks

A mustang or lincoln engine should be on the wish list then! I did a lot of reading about the ford driveline combos on pirate4x4.com. You have some good options for your bronco.
    2007-07-12 6:27 PM
    in reply to: #883297

User image

Not really a Triathlete Story but a remarkable story. I guess I will stop complainting about the water temperature from now on. She did not even wear a wet suit

I hope the link works. if not, I came across it thru Yahoo news, and it is a 60 minutes (the Show) News Story

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/81/swimming_to_antarctica
    2007-07-15 4:38 PM
    in reply to: #883838

User image

Race report is ready. everything went fine, I did not hit my target time. The official time is not known yet but I think it should be around 1:42. The swim was the easiest part
    2007-07-17 7:24 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    Sorry for the delay in congrats Mauricio ... But CONGRATS!!!

Based on your RR, it sounds like despite the pains, you were pretty comfortable out there. Is that true? I also noticed your glucose level, way to go!

I was way too lazy last week. I don't know if my body needed the break or if I was just mentally worn out from training the previous week, but I'm feeling a lot better this week.

I had to drive down to Columbus and back yesterday. Nine hours on the road, and not much to show for it. I didn't get a workout in. I thought about swinging by Cinci to see if I could find our good buddy Aaron. Has anyone heard from him?

This morning, I hopped on the trainer at about 5:00am and sweat for an hour. That was nice. Back at the regular program for the rest of the week. I am playing a golf tournament Fri/Sat though, so I might swap my normal Sat long run for Sun. I think I can still squeeze my Fri swim into the schedule though.

I'm playing in a big tournament despite the fact that I've only played 27 holes all year, and not hit a single practice ball all season. I'm going out there with the hopes that I can relive my "lights out" 76 from a couple weeks ago.

2007-07-17 9:15 AM
    in reply to: #888761

User image

Thank you Matt. Yes it felt good most of the time.. The run was a bit painful with my back but it was pretty good most of the time. I am looking forward to my Olympic Tri in August. My Official Time was 1:42:14 which it was not my goal time but I I think I can do 3 hrs on the Oly.

Good luck in your Tournament this weekend
    2007-07-17 9:48 AM
    in reply to: #888929

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    What day is your oly? Mine is August 12th. It'll be my first of that distance. Hopefully, it doesn't get canceled. A couple of the events from the same RD have been canceled lately due to poor registration numbers.

2007-07-17 10:45 AM
    in reply to: #889004

User image

That is cool Matt. ...

Mine is Sunday August 5th and it is also my first of this distance. The run has me worried since the longest work out run that I do is 5 miles. This week I am going to start increasing my distance little by little and see what happens. I am thinking that I can do what Scott did in his last Tri, run 3 miles, rest one minute, run 1 mile rest, run rest, run the last mile. After last weekend, the swim does not worry me much but I am also going to start swimming longer sets (probably 200's and 400's timed). I feel OK with the bike but I am going on vacation starting thursday for 10 days and I am not taking my bike. I am planning on running and OWS everyday (going to Hawaii).

We'll see what happens....
    2007-07-23 8:35 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    Well, I'm sort of disappointed in what's going on here. We have several MIAs including our mentor. What's up Scott? I'm hoping that you are just on an extended vacation.

I've tried to get a message through to Aaron a couple times. Same for Laurie. Bummer they aren't responding or checking in. If any of you guys read this, its never too late to get back on the wagon. I know I've fallen off several times with different fitness endeavors. Come back you guys, I'd like to see everyone back at it.

Robb, Mauricio, way to stay at it. Mauricio has been on vacation, but I know he was planning to get some workouts in while in Hawaii. Robb has been killing it so much, he is breaking his bike! Fix that thing up and keep at it Robb.

I've had a few fitness indiscressions over the last couple of weeks. I've been letting social events get in the way of training, and making bad decisions concerning nutrition and a certain beverage that I'm go to try to make sound healthy .... fermented barley beverage.

It seems that when I get around my FIL, I end up drinking a few too many of these "beverages" and it gets in the way of waking early, motivation, and hydration. I'm going to have to stay away from that guy for a while!

I checked Barb's log and she is back from France. Maybe her chronic cycling habit will bring a spark back to this thread....

So, hope everyone is healthy and working hard. It seems like everyone has a race coming up on the calendar. Hope you are all doing your best to get prepared for it!

I am going to add another milestone date to my calendar soon. Its not a race, but I'm going to do a century ride with a friend of mine after Labor Day. We are going to had south to Ohio, and jump on the "rails to trails" and churn out a cool 'hundy. Miles that is, none of those short sissy kilo-thingies.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 13