Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-05-18 1:59 AM
in reply to: #801922

Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Scott F's group - FULL!

I think the main differences between the 2 are

1.  Tri bikes are usually lighter and more aerodynamic.

2.  Tri bikes have a more aggressive position which is faster but dangerous on public roads

3.  I have heard that the position you sit on on a tri bike, makes it easier to transition to a run (regarding the muscles you use I guess)

The biggest difference is the aero bars (although the frame is different as well).  And you can always clip those on to a road bike. 

2007-05-18 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Since I haven't gotten into the habit of planning my workouts on BT, I thought I'd give a little look at my plans here.

I started with Swimming several months ago. I was swimming MWF and Sat when my kids had lessons. When I decided to start Tris, I knew I really needed to work on my running. I started with the couch-to-5k aggressive plan, but quickly skipped past the walk/run thing. I still have those WR splits on my spreadsheet, but I don't follow it. I just make sure I get one long run, one interval type run, and a mild recovery run into each week. I plan the same way for swimming. Biking is different. I'm not consistent with my workouts, due mostly to opportunity. I think that is partially why I wanted to be with you all. As a group, you guys put in a lot of bike time.

So, it usually looks like this:

Monday: Interval Swim
Tuesday: mild run
Wednesday: Recovery Swim, and I try to get a little bike time in
Thursday: Interval Run
Friday: Long Swim
Sat: Long Run or Bike, try to get a transition practice in with a short brick run if I bike.
Sunday: Either bike or run, opposite of Sat.

As you can see, its a full seven day schedule. I don't stick to it though. I swim at lunch, so if work is in the way, I have to try to get back into the gym after the kids go to bed, or reschedule. If I'm feeling rough, I typically take a day off or modify the schedule to take an easy day. I'm not super strict about following the schedule, as long as I'm getting the time in.

I also like to throw in other stuff. Long mountain bike rides on Fri nights. Extra short runs with my oldest daughter, bike rides with my middle daughter. I also walk my dog every morning, or take her along for my WU mile on runs.

The last couple weeks have been rescheduled a lot. My wife has had a hectic schedule with the end of school coming up, and her graduation from grad school. I was also doing a little traveling for work. All in all, I've been doing a better job of sticking to the overall plan, compared to previous fitness goals and obstacles. I think most of that comes from knowing that I have my first race in 29 days!

I need to figure out how to fix my weak points. One being bike time. I could get a trainer, and maybe I'm making excuses, but I don't like working out inside. I just don't have enough free daylight for frequent long rides though. My other main weakness is running speed. The distance is coming, but I'm slow. I think its partly do to stride length, and partly due to slow turn-over. I notice that my pace is most comfortable in bike and run at about 60. I need to learn to pick that up. I've thought about spinning classes to get used to faster cadence. The last major area of improvement is stretching. I'm tight, real tight. I need to get a half hour into every day. I bought a book and so far I like it. It has all sorts of routines for different sports and activities.

So, that's a little about what my workout plan looks like. I'd take any advice you might have regarding the weaknesses and ways to improve!

-Matt
2007-05-18 10:26 AM
in reply to: #805890

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Laurie,
The two LBS that I liked most they both offer me to take the bikes for a tet ride in the parking lot. They had no problem with that at all

Mauricio
2007-05-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #805890

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

More bike talk - goodie

Laurie - you definitely had a bad experience in that bike shop, and you might want to avoid them in the future. Having said that, I've personally found a very LARGE variation in the level of service in any given shop depending on who you talk to - most shop employees are not very well paid, and service sometimes reflects that. There are some shops where everyone is great, some where everyone sucks, and most fall in the middle - some really helpful folks, some you'd rather not ever talk to! So you might want to give them one more chance, but you should

a) definitely expect to be able to try bikes out. When I bought my tri bike I tried FIVE different bikes, each of them for anywhere from an hour to three hours (granted, I was spending $5000, but the level of service at this particular shop would not significantly differ if I was spending less). This is above and beyond what most shops will do, but is not unreasonable to expect in a REALLY GOOD shop (ie: the kind you hope to find).

b) even if you can't go for long extensive test rides, you should absolutely be able to take the bike out for a spin around the parking lot. If they don't have a bike for you to try out like that, walk away and find another shop.

Hopefully you have a few different shops you can check out- finding a good LBS (local bike shop) is a real treasure and something to spend a little time and effort on. Once you've found one, develop a relationship with them, let them know you're in it for the long haul, and even if you're not dropping huge bucks now, you'll be back for service, parts, accessories, and that fancy shiny carbon tri bike in a few more years

2007-05-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: #805918

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Tri bikes vs. road bikes:

The most fundamental difference is the GEOMETRY of the bikes. This means the angles used in putting the frame together. Essentially, a tri bike (which is similar to, but slightly different from a Time Trial bike) is designed so that the rider can be more aggressively aerodynamic without losing a lot of pedaling power, and (this point is up for some debate) tends to "spare" your running muscles so that you theoretically run faster after riding on a tri bike than you would on a road bike. This is done by steepening the bottom bracket angle... from here, things quickly get technical, and I refer you to an excellent article by Dan Empfield of slowtwitch if you want the nitty-gritty. It's a long article, but very detailed and informative.

Another key difference is that tri bikes will have true aero bars, whereas road bikes will have the regular turned-down curved bars you're probably used to - people will often put clip-on aerobars on their road bike handlebars, and this is useful, but is a compromise and doesn't offer as much aerodynamic benefit as dedicated aero bars, and may also affect your handling.

In short, you can come close to getting a "tri bike" type of position on a road bike, but doing so will involve making some compromises in your position, aerodynamics and bike handling, so it can be tricky.

As I mentioned before, I think a logical progression is:

1. start with a road bike with regular handlebars
  2. add clip-ons after you're COMPLETELY comfortable on the road bike
  3. move to a tri bike, possibly keeping the road bike for types of riding to which it is more suited (hilly rides, longer rides, etc.)

All of these steps are optional, of course, you can be perfectly happy racing on a mountain bike - each step offers a potential increase in performance, but obviously costs some money!

And overall, the most important thing is to find a bike that fits you well and you'll enjoy riding. When I bought my expensive tri bike, I couldn't really justify it from a pure performance perspective, as it might save me a couple of seconds over a slower, less aerodynamic bike, but since I rarely win races, and almost never by only a few seconds, that's hardly a reason for me to buy such a nice bike. BUT, I love the bike, it makes me happy, makes me want to get out and ride every time I look at it, and when I'm racing on it, it makes me WANT to go fast - I can't let my trusty steed Cervy ( pronounced "Curvy" ) down

Edited by scottf2 2007-05-18 10:46 AM
2007-05-18 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: Race schedule

I'd like to compile a little calendar of everyone's races so we can all just check back here and see who has a race coming up. Let me know if I've missed anything, and if possible give me the actual dates if they're missing. I know some of these might be tentative, but I can come back here and make changes/updates as necessary. Looks like the weekend of June 9/10th is a big one, with races for Laurie, Barb, Mauricio and Rob...

Laurie:

• Cherry Creek - June 9th

Barb:

• Women's 5k Run - (June 10 '07)
  • Funstuff Duathlon? (June 24 '07)
  • Bare Bones Duathlon (May '08)

Matt:

• Big Fish - June ?
  • Holly X- July ?
  • Lansing Legislator

Mauricio:

• June 9th - Sprint TRI Rancho Seco CA (Goal 1:30)
  • July 14, Sprint TRI Rancho Seco CA
  • August 5th, Olympic TRI, Rancho Seco CA (Goal 3:00)

Robb:

• Lakeside June 9th - Sprint
  • Go the Distance June 24th - 8km run
  • Bala Falls Tri July 1st - Full Tri
  • Summer Night Run July 20th - 5km run
  • Springbank 1/2 marathon Sept 9th

Aaron:

5/6Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon ("A" Race)3:30:003:10:53
6/3Deer Creek Triathlon (Olympic)2:30:00
6/11RunningSpot.com T&F (1 mile)5:30
6/18RunningSpot.com T&F (2 mile)11:30
7/8Caesar Creek Triathlon(Olympic) ("A" Race)2:30:00
7/14Sayler Park Village 5K Run18:00
8/4Jenny Evans Race 5K17:30
8/19Great Buckeye Challenge HIM5:15:00
9/23

Toyota Challenge HIM
("A" Race)

5:00:00
10/21Columbus Marathon
("A" Race)
3:00:00
11/22Thanksgiving Day Race 10K37:00

Scott:

• Auburn Half-IM - 5/20
  • Sierra Death Ride (not a race, but still training for it...) 7/14
  • Donner Olympic - 7/15
  • Vineman - 8/4

Edited by scottf2 2007-05-18 12:20 PM

2007-05-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #806565

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove
Subject: RE: Race schedule
scottf2 - 2007-05-18 12:09 PM

Sierra Death Ride (not a race, but still training for it...) 7/14

...now I'm curious. what type of ride is this? I tend to stay away from any workouts or races with the word "death" or "killer", etc in it

2007-05-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: #806618

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: RE: Race schedule
arieth81 - 2007-05-18 9:27 AM
scottf2 - 2007-05-18 12:09 PM

Sierra Death Ride (not a race, but still training for it...) 7/14

...now I'm curious. what type of ride is this? I tend to stay away from any workouts or races with the word "death" or "killer", etc in it

Ha - yeah, that's generally a good plan. Except in this case. It's a 129 mile ride over five peaks in the Sierra with a bit over 15,000 feet of climbing and some of the most beautiful riding in the world. I did it last year, and really messed up my nutrition (tried to drink the cytomax they were serving, even though I should have known better, and it completely messed up my stomach, so I was way behind on calories). I bonked pretty badly, but suffered through it in something like 12 hours of riding - the last 30 minutes of which was a torrential Sierra summertime thunderstorm - great fun! It was actually a blast... once it was over I'm looking forward to doing it again this year, this time I'm carrying my own drink mix!!

2007-05-18 12:11 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Scott,
Here are my Races:

June 9, Sprint TRI Rancho Seco CA (Goal 1:30)
July 14, Sprint TRI Rancho Seco CA (Not Registered, hawaii vacation may get on the way)

My main goal for the year:
August 5th, Olympic TRI, Rancho Seco CA (Goal 3:00)

I am not sure if my goals are realistic but I am shooting for that. The running is my big challenge

Edited by MrSolis 2007-05-18 12:15 PM
2007-05-18 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Big Fish is Saturday June 16th. Sprint distance, first tri for me.

The Holly X-tri is July 14th, but I might switch it for a conventional tri. Not sure yet. Might even up it to Olympic if I think I can complete it. I think an x-tri of shorter length would be as, or more, grueling than a longer conventional. Not sure. Depends on the bike course and trail run.

Lansing Legislator is what I consider my "A" race of the year, if I can do that. I'm registered for the sprint, but I might up it to the Olympic.

If I haven't done an Olympic length after those three I will definitely do one of these - Stony Creek Championship Sept 16th or the Autumn Colors Tri Sept 23.
2007-05-18 1:35 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Wow it does look like June 9/10th weekend is going to be busy!  For me it will be my first, but I have been to lake a couple times and have done a couple run races, so I am not too nervous. 

Before my goal was just to finish the super sprint tri.  Then it was to place MOP.  Then it was to place top 25.  Then I decided to do the full sprint instead, and just finish.  Now I *think* I might be able to place about MOP on the sprint.  If I can hold ~26km/h on the bike for 18k, and run the 4k in 24mins, I'll have a shot (going by last 3 years of results).

I know we all say we just want to finish and have fun, but it feels good to know that you were faster than someone(s).  :D

2007-05-18 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Gee it's nice to have a place to ask all these questions!

Matt - you said you were running at too high a HR - what rate (or zone) should I be aiming for? My HR tends to be uppper zone 4 and zone 5 all the time I'm running. It's kinda like biking but doing one long climb the whole time. I can't wait until I can get past the "willing myself to run" stage and actually get lost in my thoughts.

Also, you said you do a mild recovery run. How long is that? How fast/slow?

Scott or anyone - One of my considerations of whether I do the Funstuff Du at the end of June is whether I can do the running portion. That race has a 5.5k run, 35k bike, and 5.5k run. I can do 5.5, but I haven't done longer. I did a mock race on a similar route at home one day but only ran 3k before and after the biking and that was tough. So my question is - should I focus on being able to run 10k at one time before I attempt a duathlon, or is running 5-6k at a time enough training? I realize I can always stop and walk if I have to but I'd kinda like not to....
2007-05-18 7:41 PM
in reply to: #807371

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Kelownagirl - 2007-05-18 5:06 PM

Matt - you said you were running at too high a HR - what rate (or zone) should I be aiming for? My HR tends to be uppper zone 4 and zone 5 all the time I'm running. It's kinda like biking but doing one long climb the whole time. I can't wait until I can get past the "willing myself to run" stage and actually get lost in my thoughts.

Also, you said you do a mild recovery run. How long is that? How fast/slow?

• I haven't gotten too far into zones yet, but I know that when I'm at 190+ for more than a couple minutes I'm in trouble. The highest I've gotten my running max is 204. I typically run between 170 and 185 or so. Even at that rate, I'm only doing about ten minute miles. I'm doing something wrong, I'm sure of it. i just haven't quite figured it out yet.

I consider a "recovery run" to be a slow (even for me) jog where I'm not trying to do intervals, hills, or even beating any times. Its basically going out for a leasurely jog. I only do about 5k right now.

BTW, I'm all ears for suggestions about what I might be doing wrong with my running. Its probably as simple as the fact that I just haven't been at this long enough.

Also, I posted a description of my plan. I was hoping that when you all get a chance, give me an idea of yours. I'd love to hear about them, and your strategies for what your doing, and how you are working on your weaknesses.
    2007-05-18 11:05 PM

Veteran
    Ontario

Hey Matt

I think its just going to be a matter of putting in the miles to get your body used to the stresses.  I don't have a HRM, but I feel my heart not working as hard as it used to on a 5k run, and that my breathing is much more calm.  The biggest accomplishment I have noticed is that I am able to now slow down and catch my breath and let me HR come down, without actually stopping/walking.  It felt impossible before but it feels like I have more control now.

As for my training plan, I don't have a set day-by-day plan.  I don't like the structure of having to do things, especially when they are outdoors and depend on the weather.  I generally just try to make weekly and monthly goals, and work to achieve them

For instance, I am trying to bike 500km and run 100km this month.  So I just try to get about 125km bike and 25km run each week.  Swimming just happens when it happens until next month (when I have a pool in my building)

My biggest weakness has been running, specifically distance.  So I am still working on that, but am going to have to start to increase my pace soon.  I can't seem to break the 10min/mile mark but I am more concerned with being able to run farther.  Once I get my LSD run to about 15-20km, I am going to start throwing in tempo runs.

2007-05-19 12:13 AM

User image

Veteran
    Davis, California

Hi gang. I'm about to head to bed to get one last good night's sleep before race day (race is on Sunday, but I rarely sleep well the night before). I'll chime in on HR topic later, since I think it's an important one, but very complex, with no clear answers, etc...

As for training plans, I really like having a solid plan to try to stick to. I bought a plan from Rich Strauss at Crucible Fitness which covers six month of Ironman training and uses powermeter data to drive the bike workouts (I can explain more about that another time for anyone interested).

Anyway, my plan is as follows:

Monday: easy swim/drills (I sometimes take this as a rest day in which case I just skip the swim or move it to Tuesday afternoon)
    Tuesday: long run
    Wed: swim (as the race gets closer, I'll add a short run here to bring me up to five runs per week)
    Thurs: hard bike, followed by a short run brick
    Friday: swim, run (usually run right after swimming on the track conveniently located next to the pool)
    Saturday: long bike
    Sunday: medium sized run/bike brick

So that works out to three bikes, four runs and two-three swims per week. I find that doing most of those runs as bricks is much easier since I'm already in workout mode, and I think it's also helpful to run off the bike as much as possible.

As for hours, right now I'm at about 16 hours per week (once I'm done tapering and recovering) and will build up to about 20 hours at the highest volume week of the plan. Of course, this is iron-distance training, and I'd be doing much less if I were training for Olys or Halfs. A large percentage of the hours comes on the weekends though, so as long as I'm willing to give up half of my Saturday and Sunday, it's not hard to squeeze the hours in (luckily, I have very few responsibilities once I'm done with work, and my girlfriend is very supportive of my training and doesn't complain too much as long as we get some quality time in scheduled around my training plan.

2007-05-19 4:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Kelowna, BC
    I bought aerobars and better quality running shoes today. Hope it makes me faster.

2007-05-20 7:14 AM
    in reply to: #808067

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    Kelownagirl - 2007-05-19 5:52 PM

I bought aerobars and better quality running shoes today. Hope it makes me faster.

Nice! What bars did you get?
    2007-05-20 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Kelowna, BC
    Just some basic entry level aerobars that go up and connect at the end. No shifters or anything. I gave them a bit of a try after I installed them but when we went for a ride later, it was really windy so I didn't take a chance practicing with them - too afraid of the gusts in traffic. I don't think it'll take me long to feel confident in them though. I sometimes ride in that position just resting my arms on my handle bars.
    2007-05-20 12:35 PM
    in reply to: #807557

User image

Parker

Also, I posted a description of my plan. I was hoping that when you all get a chance, give me an idea of yours. I'd love to hear about them, and your strategies for what your doing, and how you are working on your weaknesses.

Matt - I think that your plan looks great. I myself can't do 7 days a week. The family and the body both need me to take a couple days off. I really focus on making sure that I do an even workout throughout the week. I loosly follow the BT 13 week plan to get an idea of how many min and how often each activity should be practiced. I know that my weekness is the running right now but until the weight comes off I can't focus on the running. I may not do great on the running portion of my first tri but I will finish - even if that means I walk some of the way.

Laurie
    2007-05-20 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Kelowna, BC
    Posting your training plans and owkring on trouble spots has had made me think more about my weakness, which is definitely running. I am going to try to run 5k, three times a week and make one run a bit longer each week. I'll start by adding .5 k once a week and work my way up. I don't think I'll worry about trying to do the 10k run on June 10th. I have to work hard enough to do 5k right now. No use getting frustrated and/or hurting myself. If I focus on builing up slowly, I may feel confident enough with my runnning to try that duathlon on June 24th. We'll see. The hardest part of doing that race is that it will be the last week of school and I am leaving for France on July 1st so time will be very tight. As I said, we will see.
    2007-05-21 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
    Downers Grove

Hey gang,

I take a "2 day vacation" every weekend from the computer, so sorry I wasn't on this weekend checking it all out. Hope you did well scott on your HIM.

Matt and Ron, your training routines/plans look great. That's a great idea about getting a feel for what you're doing Laurie. Scott, 20 hours... man, good luck! I hope to get my training that high at some point!

I'm no expert on how to pace or know where your HR should be on runs. I have never really ran based on my HRM, but I guess doing this for so long kinda gets you used to your body and how it should feel on certain runs. I'm out of breath a lot on my interval or tempo runs, but I am still feeling as though I'm in control of my form and body. Sure I am breathing hard, but I don't feel like my lungs are going to explode. THat's only when you do Sprint drills on the track

Matt, you said that your recovery run is a slow jog... I always base my slow recovery runs on that I can still talk without too much problem to anyone I might be running with. As far as any feedback on what you might be doing different, it's tough to say if we cannot see you. I would give this advice though, run with your legs under you. A lot of times people will run trying to open their stride up and put their foot out in front of their body and knees. When doing longer distance I would recommend keeping your stride to a comfortable distance when running/jogging. When you lengthen your stride too much, it puts a lot of stress on your joints and also halts some of your forward progression. Does this make sense?

Barb, I think you're doing great with your running. Just adding the milage one bit at a time. If you can do 5 to 8K by the end of June on a training run, I think you could do a 10K. I just finished my first marathon, and before the race my longest training run was only 19 miles. I was able to complete the 26+ miles (but difficult to walk for the next two days)

And finally, my outline of my training plan. I started reading a couple books on triathlon training at the beginning of this year, and just started forming a plan for myself based on what I wanted to accomplish. I generally don't take a day off, and if I do it'll be mondays. I try to get at least 4 runs in a week (incl. BRICK), 3 or 4 bike rides (incl. BRICK) and 2 swims (ha... I try to!).

Monday- If I take a rest/recovery day, this would be it. If not I try to hit the pool for some intervals of 200 to 600 in length. Try to get a CORE workout done if nothing else is going on.
    Tuesday- I try to get a tempo run in, putting in a mile or two warmup, 4 or 5 miles at a good pace (under 15K race pace) and then a mile or two cool down. Sometimes get a quick bike ride on the trainer (30 to 45 min) if I feel good that morning.
    Wednesday- This is usually a BRICK workout where I try to do 45 min on the bike and 30 running before work. Depending on what I have going on I might switch it up with my Thursday workout. If I can swim (or feel like it, which is rare!) I will do it at night.
    Thursday- Longer BIke ride between 1:30:00 and 1:45:00. Core workout.
    Friday- I try to get a track workout in before work if I can. Usually 400's or 800's. Total milage around 8 to 10 miles (including warm up/cool down)
    Saturday- Long Bike ride, between 2 and 3 hours. Swim if the wife feels up to it.
    Sunday- Long Run (sometimes), still trying to decide the right distance for this since the Marathon is over. Then a swim if the wife wants to.

Of course I put these on like I do them everyweek, but I don't. Usually at least one of the workouts is scratched for some reason or another. I've been feeling "up and down" lately with training. So much going on around the house, and I'm still a little burnt from the race earlier this month. I trained for so long for it, trying to keep going is rough sometimes.

Hope everyone has a good week!

2007-05-21 7:50 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    aaron,

the legs under my body, as opposed to out front makes perfect sense. I've been reading Chi Running, and it has helped to take a lot of the joint stress out of my runs. Stretching these last several days has also helped a lot.

I'm going to continue with the lots of extra stretching this week, and try to sense what is happening with my body as I run. Meaning, I'm going to try to understand my breathing patterns, HR, foot turnover (cadence), etc.

I've noticed with my swimming that I start out with a goofy breathing pattern, then as I get into my groove, I get a more rhythmic pattern. For example, I start with left, left, right right, left, left, right, right. Then somewhere around a couple hundred yards into it, I fall into a classical bi-lateral, left, right, left, right. I think I do something similar with running, I just haven't gotten it figured out yet. When I figure it out, and can start out with that pattern, then let my body fall into its groove, I think it will help me be more comfortable with running.

2007-05-21 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
    Downers Grove

I think that's a great way to approach it. Find what works for you, and your comfort zone with running. It's all about feeling good and relaxed on the longer runs.

2007-05-21 9:45 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    scott,

how was the race this weekend? i'm looking forward to the race report.

I was also wondering how your tri race times compare your individual discipline times. I'm starting to think about time goals for my first race. I know I should just go out there an enjoy it, but the competitor in me needs to look at something.
    2007-05-21 11:37 AM

User image

Master
    Fenton, MI
    I'm also starting to think about race strategy. Its a sprint. 500m, 20km, 5km.

I can swim the 500m in 8:00 no problem. I have a wetsuit, and I'm going to try that this weekend. Hopefully, that'll cut a bit off too. I hardly kick at all, legs should be really fresh.

T1 transition will be longest for me. I don't see the wetsuit being a problem, but I need to throw on a shirt at T1, and I'm planning to put on socks and my bike shoes. My shoes are still a little stiff in the back, so they don't slip on as quickly as I'd like. (They don't rub when riding though.) Someday I'll learn to slip my feet in bare with the shoes already on the pedals, but that is later.

The bike is downhill for half and uphill the second half. I rode it this past weekend. I max out at 40mph on the down. Might even get a little more out of it if I really push at the top. I got spun out about half way down the main hill. I can absolutely haul-azz for the first half. I slowed down a couple times for my buddy behind me. On the way back, its all in reverse, but other than the last hill, its not too bad. It took me about 40 minutes last weekend. I know I can shave time off that. I'm riding it again this weekend with some BT'ers. With so much downhill on the way out, not much effort will be required until the return.

T2 transition will be quick. Shoes off when I dismount the bike, leaving them on the pedals. Running shoes on after I rack the bike.

The run is my weakest event, but its a flat, flat, flat course on a gravel road. I'll effectively have 10km cycling on my legs before the run, so that is not a big deal. Once I get my legs under me, I'm going to focus on run cadence and stretching my legs out behind me.

In summary, swim hard, but don't kill myself. I can swim it in 8 minutes with upper body alone. Short run to transition (100yards). Focus on efficiency of downhills and maintain as high of a speed as possible until turn around. At bike turn, be mindful of gearing and keep a quiet upper body on the ascents. Fast T2. Get my legs under me, and stretch out my stride to the rear when I get my running legs. Finish strong from the park ranger booth to the finish line!

This is the first time that I've documented my strategy. Typing this up has me completely pumped up! I'm going to swim now. I'd like to hear what you all think when I get back.

-Matt

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 13