Medved
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 34s
Overall Rank = 354/525
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/27
Pre-race routine:

I had a difficult time getting myself out of bed this morning. I didn't go to bed until after 12:30. What a dummy. Anyway, showered, drank coffee, ate raisin bran. The usual. Rob's mom came and picked me up. She dropped us off near the start. On the drive over Debbie told me her official goal time was a sub-29 min run, and that was my job to get her to run that... I didn't know if that was reasonable for her or not. She seemed to think she had run that distance in 30 min before, so maybe with the adrenaline and the spirit of the race that would bump her pace up. I said I'd do my best.
Event warmup:

Debbie couldn't understand the reasoning behind warming up. She didn't want to waste any amount of energy on extra running. I tried to do a warm-up jog with her, but it didn't last too long. I couldn't do a good job of trying to explain the reasoning behind it. I stretched some when we got back from our non-warm-up jog and we stood around and talked to Martha (MIL) and Matthew (Debbie's son) and Josie (Matthew's girlfriend, and Rob's other cousin, on the other side of the family - I know, it's a little strange.)
Run
  • 31m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

We stood somewhere in the middle-back of the pack for the start. There were around 500 runners for this, so it was very close quarters for the first 1/4 mile or more. Pretty quickly Debbie began complaining of a higher than normal HR. I suggested we slow it up a bit and she focus on controlled breathing. We made it to the 1 mile mark at 9:34 or :44 (?) Occasionally I would tell her what the pace was, because I was trying to keep her within her goal time. Sometimes she would tell me that she wouldn't be able to keep that pace up for long. Her calves were a bit tight too. At about the 2 mile marker I realized that she probably wouldn't make it a 29 min race, but I still thought she was doing great. Her breathing was pretty labored, but she kept at it. The water stop was at the 2 mile mark. I encouraged her to stop and walk it and take a good drink, which she did. We came to a hill going up Clinton Ave and she decided she had to walk it to the top. At mile 2.68 Debbie finally declared "This is my first 5K and my last!! This isn't worth it! If I wanted to kill myself I could do it in the privacy of my own home!!!" I got a pretty big kick out of that. But then I started to feel badly that the race wasn't enjoyable for her. I had kind of saw it as my duty to help her like it, and I was failing!! Right after that she said something about just not wanting to be last. I turned around to look and saw a huge sea of people way behind us! I had her stop to look too and I think it made her feel better.
We saw the family, Rob and the kids and Rob's sister, hubby and her 2 kids included, at about the 2.8 mile mark. They got pictures. By this point I was really trying to encourage Debbie on. Telling her how much further to the 3 mile mark, then only 1 tenth left and hey, there's the finish line, you're doing great!! I let her finish ahead of me! (1 sec) She made sure she told me that once she saw the posted results! :)
What would you do differently?:

Encourage Debbie to not set a specific goal time for herself. To just use this race as a guideline for future races. The pace was just too much for her this time around.
Post race
Warm down:

We walked and her friends found us so we chatted for awhile. Rob and the kids found us soon after. We waited for the start of the 10K, then we walked over to the registration building for food and awards! Debbie won her AG, (55-59, 1/4) which I think might in the long run encourage her to try another race! :) She got a very nice medal with a purple ribbon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Debbie acknowledged that her biggest weakness are hills. I told her to run more hills and run intervals. She seemed interested, but I'm not sure she'll follow through.

Event comments:

I had a good time! Debbie, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. It's the first race I've ever done where I didn't feel any pressure, or feel sick at the end! I can't help but wonder what time I could have done on the 10K, though. I might have to run the 10K next year!

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:34 | 03.1 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/525
Performance: Good
Course: The start was in Highland Park on Highland Ave. We ran down Highland, across Clinton and took a right onto Westerloe Ave. Ran through residential neighborhoods and came out and took a right for a short run on Elmwood. Then back into residential neighborhoods on Clintwood Dr and Spier. Then right onto Clinton, up a hill, turn left back onto Highland towards the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Medved Lilac 5K

2007-05-21 4:09 AM
in reply to: #808465

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Medved Lilac 5K
It was nice of you to do this for Debbie.  I'm sure after the Du on Saturday you were wore out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medved Lilac 5K Rss Feed