United States
Leaning Tower YMCA
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 31s
Overall Rank = 68/250
Age Group = 19-24
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the site about thirty minutes before checking in. Set up my bike and gear in the transition area and then proceeding indoors for body marking and check-in.
Event warmup:

Swam 100-200 M total in warm-ups before it was my turn to go. A good feature about the indoor swim is the side area where you are free to warm up. Was able to loosen up a little.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off a little bit too quick as I'm sure most people do in early season races. I felt a little fatigued after 200 M but was able to keep a pretty good pace. The guy I shared a lane with seemed to stop half-way thru and I still don't know what the deal was with him.
What would you do differently?:

I would start a little slower, however with it being such a short race I didn't want to hold anything back. It would have been nice to learn how to pace myself but I know my mentality will be to start slowly at the LifeTime Tri in July.

Last Year:9:10.
Improvement: 28 seconds
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Pretty quick. Upon getting outside I realized how cold it really was so there was a bit of shock involved. Last year it was 2:33 so obviously I made a big improvement. Not sure what I was doing for 2:33 last year.

Bring a towel. I used a back up shirt to partially dry off and my shirt stuck a little as I was putting it on. Little detail that I don't want to go crazy over.

Last Year: 2:33
Improvement: 56 seconds
Bike
  • 33m 38s
  • 11.18 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

What a difference a road bike makes. I took 10:39 off last years time on an 11 mile course so the equipment definitely helped a great deal. Looking at the bike timing of the top I think this is the best of the three disciplines compared to the rest of the pack. I was within 1-4 minutes of most of the top 40 which is closer percentage than on the run and swim.

Nothing. I'm happy with my bike.

Last Year: 44:17
Improvement: 10:39
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

It appears I was in the top 5% on T2 time. I'm thinking a lot of this is explained by me riding my bike in my running shoes. I put my bike up, took a drink of vitamin water and left for the run.

Nothing.

Last Year: 2:01
Improvement: 1:02
Run
  • 26m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I really pushed myself on the run and may have pushed too much. I had some serious pain in the legs and may have given myself a minor case of shin splints. I have struggled with running on concrete for the last two years, so I spend a majority of my training on gravel with some streets mixed in. I finished the last .2 miles in a sprint.

Probably need to work on my running the most. I definitely finished with some energy left over, however I still feel like I expended a lot of energy. I probably need to start running more.

Last Year: 26:37
Improvement: None, same exact time.
Post race
Warm down:

Thanked my mom for cheering me on, stretched, and grabbed some snacks and enjoyed the environment for a few minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure. I am extremely happy with my improvement on the swim and bike, however I think it shows that if I really want to improve then i'm going to need to put some effort into my training as far as studying how to improve. It's funny because I told myself I would just relax and go at my own effort and not worry about times, but I can tell already I've created a monster who is going to want to improve.

Event comments:

Great job by the volunteers. The race is very well done and the people are all extremely friendly. Definitely recommend for a first timer, someone starting out there season, or someone looking for a short sprint.

Last updated: 2007-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 450 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/250
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:38 | 11.18 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: The course is five laps thru an industrial area. I would say a majority of the ride was spent in a headwind, however there was a solid straightaway with a tailwind where I took advantage and got up to 23 MPH.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:37 | 03.11 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the same industrial streets as the bike.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 5:21 PM

Subject: Tower Triathlon

2007-05-22 6:54 AM
in reply to: #808748

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tower Triathlon
I raced there Sunday too ... and it WAS cold! By the run it didn't really matter for me anymore. Nice race and great improvement over last year! That was a nice detail I'll have to remember for my race reports!

Have a great season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tower Triathlon Rss Feed