Premier Event Management
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/69
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 0300 and had two bags of oatmeal and coffee. Left at 0400. In transition area around 0510. Race officials were full of yellow bikes when the said you could park at Ala Mo. Remember plastic bag for seat and cockpit in future (for rain). Also remember scissors or knife to cut down bike sticker.
Event warmup:

Could have squeezed in a quick bike ride but didn't want to get all rushed so just did 3 Sun Salute A's and 2 B's. Then went down to water rinsed J&J out of my goggles.
Swim
  • 30m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was maybe a little too polite and stayed off the buoy line after a couple of fasties from the next wave went through. Should have mixed it up more but I did get on the feet of a few people and hit/got hit a few times. I was mostly breathing to right but did get some bilateral in on way out and more on way back.

My left foot cramped right away but I was able to slow down, not kick and it righted itself. Right cramped just after turnaround and then left again just before beach. Probably too much coffee and not enough water beforehand.
What would you do differently?:

Would have relaxed and just concentrated on my stroke. I need more open water nav experience so I can do that without swimming all over hell's half acre.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Heart was going hard as I ran up to transition but I had a good transition and hop on but then sort of blew getting on top of shoes and pedaling away. Once on top, I pedaled out into park and put shoes on as normal.

Didn't really worry about getting sand off my feet, quick spray and out. Took a gulp of water too.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, dude the first 40 minutes I felt like there were extra legs on my pedals. I could see the higher HR but not feel in RPE. I didn't hammer but also didn't try to bring pace down into zone 2. I felt good so rolled with it. Only a few faaaaast people passed me and I executed my passes well. First time trying to figure out drafting rules but think I did pretty well and had no penalties assessed even though the moto ref was right there at biggest bottleneck.

I drank aero bottle (24oz) dry a few miles from T2 and finished up the 240cal Perp mix that was about 12oz. I took 2 hammer gel shots from flask first stored in new mini bento box (very cool) and then in tri suit. I had too much nutrition with me and maybe could have had a little more water but it was a short race.

Had to pee towards end but resisted urge to find a creative way to ease this situation;)

Nothing. I feel really, really good about this ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

As I got off bike, I did have a little bit of a hard time straightening but adrenaline got me upright before the rack and then I was good.

Took time to clean feet better and a couple of swigs of water. Need to practice rolling socks on feet but I got them on okay. Also need to try those curlie laces I saw Rob had after the race. I've not been crazy about trying the other devices but I liked the looked of these.

Try the curlie laces.
Run
  • 53m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great run in result (PR) but felt like I was going slow during it. I guess just because I was getting past left, right and center;) My legs felt like molasses and HR was high but without any mile marks, I just settled into something that I felt like I could hold for six miles. My stomach was just this side of maybe going south due to intensity but I was able to take a few small gel swigs on the course. I found I didn't want to or felt like I couldn't take in water due to pace. I took a cup at each mile aid station but ended up dumping most of it on my head;)

I kicked it up about 1.5 from finish to pass some people and then had to back off once in park because HR was up to 180. I was pretty much at my limit for run into Magic Island. A couple of hundred yards from finish, I heard someone behind me coming up so kicked it before they were in contact. I held them off and then passed a few people on way into chute. A guy in my AG got me by 3 seconds but it wasn't from lack of effort on my part;)

I made the mistake of dumping water down my front once and it ended up in my shoes. Slosh, slosh. Okay on this short race. Not so good for longer ones.
Post race
Warm down:

Uhhhhhh tried not to pass out. Collected water, Jamba smoothie and banana with Sheila and then sat in shade.

Weight at 0300 was 163.2, 9.9% BF and 61.7% water
Weight when I got home after some intensive hydration while shooting the breeze with Windward BT chapter was 163.0, 8%BF, 63.6% water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim but only due to lack of training leading up to race because I was on the ship.

My run. Just needs work. I feel strong like bull on bike but then like a bull in a china shop on the run when all these gazelle types cruise by;)

Event comments:

Good race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:25 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/69
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
About 15 out to turnaround by my watch so even split.
Suit: Orca tri suit
Course: Buoys along Ala Mo course. Easy sighting but I still swam a bit zig zagged.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:32 | 24.85 miles | 23.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/69
Performance: Good
Bike computer is a little off but... HR 163/196 kcal 933 d 22.8 sp 21.3/29.7 laps: TA1 25:49 165/196bpm 21.3mph 95cad 9.2miles TA2 16:27 164/175 21.8 95 6.0 Fin 22:01 160/167 20.7 95 7.6
Wind: Some
Course: From Ala Mo to Nimitz to Arizona, turnaround and then turn on Lagoon, turnaround and back to transition. Construction in downtown sucked and some bottle necks here and there, but overall good. Some water on course from rain but overall dry.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:28 | 06.21 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/69
Performance:
I have no idea what my splits were because only the first mile was marked well. AHR was 168
Course: Run out of park past WYC and then head ewa on Ala Mo to Boca, turnaround. The second lap started around Piikoi.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Subject: Honolulu Triathlon

2007-05-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #809081

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon
ALOHA,
Awesome effort!
Looking at the photos brings back memories from Hawaii - lived in Nuuanu Valley for 3 yers and then on Maui - best time in my life!
Congratulations!
2007-05-21 4:15 PM
in reply to: #810361

User image

Hawai'i
Great race and report. Seems like you were cruising. Congrats on your run PR. It would have been nice if the mile markers were accurate it was pretty discouraging to try and figure out where you are when they seemed like they were randomnly placed.
2007-05-21 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Kaneohe,Hawaii

Very impressive first tri!  I am glad you had the spirit of Faris with you!  I need to get more of that.  Great job and looking forward to a fun summer of training.

Aloha,

Matt 

2007-05-21 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama

great race! congrats on a great bike. I agree on the mile markers on the run, it was so difficult to measure how far you had gone and har far to push not knowing the distance.

hope to catch up with you guys next race perhaps.

tiz.

2007-05-22 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
I forgot that this was your first official tri!  Way to go.  Damn, that's a fast bike time. 

2007-05-22 2:48 PM

Eric, good work!! Looking forward to a summer of hard riding.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon Rss Feed