General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 15s
Overall Rank = 405/452
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 29/35
Pre-race routine:

I tried the pre-race that I have done for the last 2 5K runs. It seems I have a really good day when I just eat a bowl of sugar cereal, so I had a bowl of Trix! Oh, and a LOT of water/Vitamin Water.
Event warmup:

Not much to do in the cattle corral but try to stretch.
Swim
  • 41m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I kinda figured my swim today would be bad, but not this bad. I haven't been in the water in 3-weeks and it showed. I petered out about half way through and had to start backstroking. I tried to swim a little wide so I wouldn't impede (get run over) by the fast AG's coming from behind. I should have had a sub 30-minute swim, but my HR was way up there and I just could not get it down.
What would you do differently?:

Well for starters I think TRAINING for the swim would be a good thing;)
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Considering the size of the transition area I did pretty good here. I should have arrived earlier to get a better spot more near the bike in/out. I didn't like have to run 50 yards to the mount/dismount after leaving the transition area.

Swim better so my HR isn't in the stratosphere while trying to get on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

The course had one big hill in it that we had to climb four times (once each lap). Although the course was fast, it got cramped quickly. Drafting could not be enforced here as there was always someone ahead and behind of you. A lot of people were dropping water bottles and not retrieving them. I found out later there were quite a few wrecks from traffic and debris.

This was a very good ride considering the first lap was tough (HR was still coming down).
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Great T2 here. My HR had settled during the bike I was mentally prepared for a tough run. I had been drinking a lot but dropped half a bottle of Vitamin Water (potassium) jsut to be sure.

Not much here.
Run
  • 1h 27m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Again a BAD 10K. It seems no matter what I do I cannot stave off the cramps on a longer course. A lot of walking was the definition of my 10K.

Not do the Oly! LOL
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank water until the muscles let go, then a lot of stretching especially my back and hamstrings.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics, Knee Surgeries, take your pick!

Event comments:

The event itself was terrific. Very well done just like Havasu was. As I've stated in my blog I have had to re-evaluate why I'm doing Tri's. I have had nothing but dread approaching the last two longer races and no the usual excitement. Oly training for me is work and I find myself looking for excuses to skip workouts. I even almost didn't go to the race. Shoot I took me until last Tuesday to make the hotel reservation!

On the other side, I really like doing the sprints. They are fun for me. I know I'll never get a sub 1-hour sprint but they are fun none-the-less.

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:24 | 1500 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/452
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Open Water in Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:29 | 24.85 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 4 6-mile laps around Lake Town. Most of the roads have just been repaved or are in the process. Very FAST.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:27:20 | 06.21 miles | 14m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Two separate out and back courses, one was for all sprints and oly's. The second was just for the oly's. The second had the most vertical and included the bing climb hill from the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
First and probably last Oly.  Check blog for more...

Edited by jsttri 2007-05-21 12:10 PM

2007-05-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #809817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Way to get there and finish! At least in the end, you learned by doing and will not be left to wonder "what-if".
2007-05-21 12:30 PM

Pro
AZ

You got out there and did it, and like he said ^^^, you tried it and found out the Oly's might just be too much stress on your knees.  So focus on the Sprints and go smash em!!!

You're still awesome in my book!

2007-05-21 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome race report- congrats on finishing an OLY!!!

Like Tanya said, just enjoy the sprints, you can stay in great shape and have tons of fun sprints.

2007-05-25 3:27 PM

User image

Aurora, CO
I just want to say that you did a great job. In many sports, you have to make adjustments to be successful. YOU did just that and you finished.

To avoid cramping I drink coconut water(700 mg of Potassium) which you can get from a Health Food store. I usually drink it 1-2 hours prior to racing. This has done wonders for me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed