General Discussion Triathlon Talk » number of reps for resistance training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-22 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Subject: number of reps for resistance training
hey all

I've got a training plan put together for me by a tri coach friend of mine and it includes a weight session a week. I can see the benefit of a resistance session and am all for it .....but me being me has to question why things are. For the first few weeks it's about building strength using 3 sets and 8-12 reps. to me this seems like a lot of time spent lifting that isn't really necessary. From what I've read and my own experience, two things jump out: 1 - to gain strength quickly you need to lift heavy and few reps and 2 - there are not all that many benefits of doing more than one set over just once.

so am I off on a wild chase here or am i right in my thinking? I know it's pointless trying to build endurance in the gym as it's out on the road / in the pool where that works done etc

what dp ya think?

2007-05-22 3:38 PM
in reply to: #812226

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Subject: RE: number of reps for resistance training
I would start off easy, doing just one set of say 5-6 compound lifts with 8-12 reps each, then add another set when *you feel* the time is right. Then add the third. I don't do any lifts with reps under 10, everything is 10-20. I also don't lift heavy either.
2007-05-22 3:57 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
While I am not a professional weightlifter or trainer, I have done a considerable amount of strength training and even dabbled in amateur bodybuilding in my youth, so I have been exposed to what some of the experts have to say, so I'll give this a go....

First, reps and weight. Bodybuilders use heavy weight and fewer reps to build mass and strength. Of course, if you're not eating like a bodybuilder you won't gain mass as quickly, but heavy weights and few reps will bulk you up. Atheletes who want to tone and strengthen use less weight and more reps. I believe that your 8-12 reps are in the area where you want to be. Maybe try 10-15 reps for various exercises.

Second, multiple sets. The goal is to stress the muscle, and I believe that you won't do as good of a job stressing the muscle in a single set. It's like intervals on the bike, kind of.

Anyway, I hope that helps. For what it's worth, I'm doing strength training this season also. This is my second season of tri's and last season I was just working on building an endurance base and I didn't strength train. I have noticed that I am exerting less energy in the water, and I believe it's because I'm stronger. I have also noticed less effort while running.

And lastly, all of the how-to tri books I've seen recommend strength training so that's probably ti biggest reasons I'm doing it--advice from the guys who have been-there-done-that. Good luck this season.
2007-05-22 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Zed is spot on...

low reps + high weight = hypertrophy

high reps + low weight = endurance

medium reps + medium weight gives you a balance of the two--starting out, this is a good place to be.

Focus on form and listen to your body!!!
2007-05-22 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I'm not a big guy nor can I really `bulk up' in the way some big guys can. That said I used to work out with a professional bodybuilder and he hated the fact that I was doing triathlons. After tri training for a few months I took about 40 pounds off my bench because I was burning a lot of fat AND muscle. BUt I leaned down a lot, which was OK by me and MRS. MR2TONY.

Anyway I STILL lift like I did -- totally atrophy the muscle group -- it just takes a lot less weight to do that. I do 10-8-6 (reps) adding weight to each set. If I'm able I'll do a four-rep set adding another bit of weight just to hammer the muscle.

I've found that combined with my tri training gives me good muscle tone and good strenght without losing the ability to swim, bike or run. Oh and I usually do cardio (swim, bike or run) BEFORE lifting. To me the tri training is more important than the straight muscle building.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » number of reps for resistance training Rss Feed