General Discussion Triathlon Talk » contact lenses Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-17 6:45 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: contact lenses
how goes it with training and racing with contacts? I've just switched to contacts from glasses and are wondering what pitfalls I might face (literally!)

Mike

Edited by mikenhe 2004-01-17 6:49 PM

2004-01-17 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4097

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: contact lenses
I can't help it....I have to post.....and then I swear I'm shutting off the computer.

add Lasik to your list of things to buy

I hope Ron doesn't put a limit on the number of daily posts I can make!
2004-01-17 6:53 PM

, Alabama
I always train and race with contacts, unless I'm biking before dawn or it's so cloudy out that sunglasses aren't necessary. Then I use regular glasses just to keep bugs/dust out of my eyes. I feel like I see better with the contacts than with the glasses. You have to be really sure of your swim goggles, especially if you're in salt water. Leaks there can REALLY burn. And I always have sunglasses for the bike and run to protect my eyes.

I've never done this (probably should), but I know people who keep a spare pair of contacts in their transition area (Oly or longer distance) in case they lose one in the water or get something stuck in it on the bike.

Sharon
2004-01-17 7:02 PM

New user
lake chelan ,wa
hip hip harrayy!! lets hear it for lasik. best thing i ever did in my life. no more where did i set my glasses down when i go swimming. no more buying colored bars of soap so i can see them when i'm taking a shower. no more fogging up when coming in from the cold. i could go on for hours. calculate it out. how much do you spend on glasses or contacts a year? how long till it pencils out to have fantastic eyesite 24-7 year in year out. ding ding. well the bell went off let me step off the soap box for the next guy. (white soap box)

rick
2004-01-17 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4101

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
I use contacts all the time, including swimming. So far no problems. Definitely beats trying to wipe sweat out from behind the glasses, and having peripheral vision is nice too. Can't imagine losing one doing anything but swimming so the transition area change of lenses sounds like a good idea. Seeing == more better.

Getting an image now of me after swimming hopping up and down inside a towel trying to change my lenses outdoors...
2004-01-19 7:18 AM

Regular
Colorado
I've actually always used glasses and prefer them to contacts---- prescription goggles are only $20 and are fabulous, then prescription sunglasses are perfect for the bike and run. I find that the wind from biking irritates my eyes with contacts, but that's just me.

As for the Lasik, I'm scheduled for the first week of March! So yes, that would be #1 solution!

2004-01-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4218

User image

Resident Matriarch
you are gonna be thrilled! I had it done 2 years ago this coming April. Nothing llike coming out of the water and being able to find my bike. It was a huge thrill that still has not diminished when I wake up each morning

2004-01-19 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Hi All
I am getting LASIK in March and have talked to the Doctor about swimming after the surgery. He said to wait 2 to 4 weeks after the surgery before getting back in the pool to swim. (Mainly to reduce the risk of infection.) Anyone have input on this or anything else to look out for?

I can't wait to see the clock in the morning!
2004-01-19 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4255

Regular
Colorado
my doc said almost the same- to stay out of the water for 3 weeks to avoid risk of infection. I haven't decided yet if I'll do the whole 3 weeks, or just 2. May be the perfect time to get a tattoo, since I'm out of the water anyway!
2004-01-19 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
kimber -

I see you are from Colorado, I am as well - What Doc is doing your surgery? I am going to spivak
2004-01-19 2:22 PM

New user
lake chelan ,wa
greetings!
when i had my lasik done i was told the 2-3 week info as well. the surgen told me this was in referance to scuba diving or going under water any depth. he said 1 week was all that i needed before i could just regular swim. but please please ask your own doctor before you go by this info. if you are interested in a couple of pre surgery tips let me know. as i have a way of getting long winded.

rick

2004-01-19 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
thanks Rick,

I would love to hear any tips or advice you have on the subject
2004-01-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4266

Regular
Colorado
Yes, pre-surgery tips would be appreciated... I'm going to go to Lasik Vision Institute in Denver (2 friends went there and highly recommend it). The price is also very competitive- the docs name is Dr.Cutarelli
2004-01-19 11:17 PM

New user
lake chelan ,wa
greetings!
when the wife and i both went in for our lasik we went at it completely different. we were told that we would be able to see good as soon as the operation was done. which is somewhat true. there is a need for some rest after your surgery. they had us go in a rest area for about 15 min. then we were able to leave. we stayed at a local hotel and they picked us up. but were not able to drive our selfs till the following day. #1 don't plan on doing any driving for a couple of days if you can help it. the fatigue on my eyes cuased some discomfot. have someone else drive you if you can. and if your job requires you to stare at a computer plan on taking a couple of sick days. #2 the wife being health minded started taking some enymes that she had gotten from a health store that were for eyes. as well as some super multi strength vitamins that were geared for tissue health. and i can't say for sure but i think they made a world of difference. she went down to eat at the hotel cafe, why i stayed in a dark room thinking to myself what have i done. #3 load up on your favorite pain reliever BEFORE you go in to the surgery. take an anti-inflamatory and a pain reducer. then take some more when you come out. this was a trick the wife had heard about from someone else and like i said she went out to dinner and i didn't. (why don't i ever take advice?) they put drops in your eyes for the surgery but about 2 hours later i had some discomfot, were as once again my lovely bride was having a lovely time down stairs. as i'm sure your aware many times you have to go in about 6 months after the surgery for a touch up. this has been enough time for your vision to be at it's peak testing time and they can then fine tune with a followup surgery. here was were i was able to go out to eat since they got better then 20/20 on both my eyes the first time and the wife had to have a touch up on one of her eyes. out of the 6 people i know that have had this done 4 had to get a touch up. so be sure that the price you are paying for the surgery covers the touch up if needed. since i have heard of some that got a great deal the first time but when they had to pay for there touch up the deal went out the window. we went to canada to have ours done and since your not i won't give all the tips on how to get accross the border in under 6 hours. ha ha
see you soon
rick
2004-01-20 6:51 AM

Regular
Colorado
Awesome advice, thanks for sharing your experiences. I will try the advil and look into eye-vitamins at Wild Oats. Fortunately, my Lasik will include a lifetime of touch-ups, and since I'm only 33, that's a great deal. I prefer to stay out of doc offices though, so hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones that gets 20/20 first try. Either way, it'll be a big difference to not wear glasses for swim, bike, and run!
2004-03-17 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
I had my Lasik surgery on the 12th. It is amazing how great it is to see without glasses or contacts! I went in for my 3-day follow up and was at 20/25 from 20/800. The surgery reminded me of something off of X-files. Right now I would say it was the best money I have spent.

Jason

2004-03-17 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Jason and Rick I'm Green with envy and not just becuz it's St. Patty's Day.I wish I could do LASIK. I had detached retinas in BOTH eyes. So I'm afraid I've had my share of eye surgeries. Right not I have two buckles in my eyes to hold my retinas together. My eye surgeon says "No, more surgery!" I've had two already.Anyway, I swim, bike and run with my contacts. I have disposables so I end of throwing them away about every two months sooner because of my swimming. I've never had a problem with them even when my goggles leaked! Oh, and I'm also from Colorado as well! Yipee!Ovetta.
2004-03-17 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
I have no problems with my contacts .......I use a seal mask for swimming. I can't imagine trying to put up with glasses on the bike and run...yuck.
2004-03-17 10:20 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Mike,

I too have the poor man's LASIK. I have not raced in my contacts but I do train with them. My goggles fit nicely, so swimming has not been a problem. I always wear sunglasses when running or bicycling, so I don't have much trouble with eyes drying out or getting irritated. I imagine, I will keep a pair of glasses at the transition, just in case I should lose my goggles and a contact on race day. Anyway, I have not had any problems thus far.:-)
2004-03-18 9:21 AM

I run the disposables, and I've never had a problem with them. I also leave an extra pair in my transition bag just in case. I've never noticed any excessive drying with mine, although I used to carry a bottle of rewetting drops with me on runs just in case. My Oakleys are good at keeping anything out of my eyes.
2004-03-18 9:42 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
my trip to Montreal was for a check up with the dr who did my Lasik, and it's been 3 years not 2 as I had thought. Wow! Anyhow, having it done there was well worth the drive because I saved a ton of $$. I went alone with just my kids, so the clinic arranged a ride back to the hotel for me where I napped for a few hours. They had given me some sort of mild sedative and I was pretty sleepy. After that, the kids and I painted the town. My first stop was to buy a pair of non-prescription sunglasses, my first ever. My vision was damn near perfect right from the start. I had a follow up the next day and drove home immediately after, about 8 hours counting all of our stops. No problems at all.

I thought that maybe I was in need of a touch up because I've been having some distortion, but the exams showed my vision is still 20/20 and the dr felt that the problems are from my eyes being so dry. So I am religiously using eye drops and everything looks great. 800 miles round trip to be told to use eye drops! LOL Anyhow, I was going to purchase the extended care plan and they said at my age my vision probably would not be changing and actually recommended against it. If it were to change I can always purchase this plan then. How cool! They could have just said yup, and taken my money.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » contact lenses Rss Feed