BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: #812958

Subject: RE: Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - FULL
I'm back in the saddle/swimsuit/running shoes now, after my vacation to AZ. I didn't train AT ALL in tuscon, though I did some hiking and recreational swimming (IE: I bet you I can swim from one end of the pool to the other under water)

I'm ready to start working on increasing my speed. I've upped my running from 2x a week to 3x a week, adding a brick to one of my bike rides since I can't see where else I'd fit it in, and I'm working at maintaining pace, and striding the end in.

For bikes, next time I get onto an open road (My last ride was not at all well thought out, I'm thinking about doing something where I spring for twenty seconds, recover for twenty, sprint twenty, recover twenty, and so on.

For swimming, I just need to get in the pool and keep working on form...I'm not quite up to speed drills yet.

Let me know if you have any suggestions...

2007-06-13 2:53 PM
in reply to: #842504

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I bet you I can't swim from one end of the pool to the other underwater

As far as speed, here's what I would recommend:

Swim - continue to work on form and endurance, but if you want to go faster once in a while, throw in 4x25 hard. Take long recovery - I usually swim 25's in about 21" and then recovery for 39" so a recovery time equal to double the swim time is a good place to start. Basically you want to be able to maintain good form but go faster than usual.

Bike - at this point, I would recommend that your faster ride be one where you ride faster for 4 minutes and then recovery for 4 minutes. Working on how fast you can go for 20" won't help as much as working on the speed you can maintain for longer time periods. These 4 minutes will help you body get used working at these levels.

Run - the main thing that I would add is strides to at least two of your runs. Do 4-6x30" at 5k pace with 2' recovery after your warmup. Ideally, these are done on a grass surface with a slight downhill but can be done anywhere.

These workouts will help you build speed without increasing your injury risk a great deal.

Shane

analog_girly - 2007-06-13 12:15 PM

I'm back in the saddle/swimsuit/running shoes now, after my vacation to AZ. I didn't train AT ALL in tuscon, though I did some hiking and recreational swimming (IE: I bet you I can swim from one end of the pool to the other under water)

I'm ready to start working on increasing my speed. I've upped my running from 2x a week to 3x a week, adding a brick to one of my bike rides since I can't see where else I'd fit it in, and I'm working at maintaining pace, and striding the end in.

For bikes, next time I get onto an open road (My last ride was not at all well thought out, I'm thinking about doing something where I spring for twenty seconds, recover for twenty, sprint twenty, recover twenty, and so on.

For swimming, I just need to get in the pool and keep working on form...I'm not quite up to speed drills yet.

Let me know if you have any suggestions...
2007-06-18 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Hey Shane...what makes it ideal to do strides on dirt/grass w/ downhill?  I've seen other things say that (training plan) without knowing why.
2007-06-18 3:40 PM
in reply to: #849354

User image

Champion
There are two things at play here, but that should be slight downhill. Anything more than a gradual downhill and the benefits are going to disappear.

1) Dirt/grass is going to be softer than other surfaces and since you are teaching yourself to run faster, a softer surface is a bit more forgiving on the soft tissues.

2) Slight downhill allows you to use gravity to your advantage. This can help you go a little faster and keep a nice high turnover, but again, make sure it is just a gradual incline.

Shane

Deputy - 2007-06-18 5:20 PM

Hey Shane...what makes it ideal to do strides on dirt/grass w/ downhill?  I've seen other things say that (training plan) without knowing why.
2007-06-19 12:17 AM
in reply to: #849391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Ah, thanks, I've often wondered!
2007-06-20 5:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-06-20 5:54 PM
in reply to: #853267

Champion
It really depends on how far out from a race you are - unless you are in the final couple of weeks leading up to a race, the typical brick I would recommend would be running off the bike once a week or once every two weeks. Nothing hard, just getting used to the feeling getting off the bike and running - keep the effort level in zone 2 and run for 15 to 20 minutes.

As you get closer to your race you can do some bricks that involve biking and/or running at race pace (at least some intervals at race pace).

Shane

tylerhatcher - 2007-06-20 7:43 PM

Shane, What do you suggest for Brick training?
2007-06-26 3:10 PM

Hello all...

I fell off the internet wagon since I'm in the middle of a move, living out of boxes and so on and so forth...

and my training has slacked unless you count moving furniture down a staircase, into a car, and then into another house...

But I'm back! I forgot that I have a 5k I'm registered for tomorrow...oops. I'm going to just do a higher intensity brick tomorrow, try to ride about 12 and then run three at race pace, just for fun. I signed up for this race to see about that sub thirty 5k and now I'm going to try to do a sub 28 minute 5k.

I'll let you know how it goes.

On the plate for this week:

Today: rest
Tomorrow: 12/3 brick (and 5k as part of it.)
thursday: recovery ride, and then some dancing at jazz in the park.
Friday: swimey swim swim in the AM
Saturday: Dunno what, since I'm probably going to be moving a lot, I may go for a ride or a swim if the weather is hot
sunday: Run...I neeeeed to do that since I always skip my runs.

Anyone have any tips to make running more fun?

Next monday I go on another trip so I'll be quite for that week, unless its skateboarding stories.

2007-06-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: #861377

Champion
Moving is terrible - I decided the last time I moved that the next time I was going to sell everything and start again

Best of luck with your race - that should be a solid workout with the race and then a 5k!

As for making running fun - how are you struggling? Is it painful to run, is it boring, etc?

Have a good one

shane

analog_girly - 2007-06-26 5:10 PM

Hello all...

I fell off the internet wagon since I'm in the middle of a move, living out of boxes and so on and so forth...

and my training has slacked unless you count moving furniture down a staircase, into a car, and then into another house...

But I'm back! I forgot that I have a 5k I'm registered for tomorrow...oops. I'm going to just do a higher intensity brick tomorrow, try to ride about 12 and then run three at race pace, just for fun. I signed up for this race to see about that sub thirty 5k and now I'm going to try to do a sub 28 minute 5k.

I'll let you know how it goes.

On the plate for this week:

Today: rest
Tomorrow: 12/3 brick (and 5k as part of it.)
thursday: recovery ride, and then some dancing at jazz in the park.
Friday: swimey swim swim in the AM
Saturday: Dunno what, since I'm probably going to be moving a lot, I may go for a ride or a swim if the weather is hot
sunday: Run...I neeeeed to do that since I always skip my runs.

Anyone have any tips to make running more fun?

Next monday I go on another trip so I'll be quite for that week, unless its skateboarding stories.

2007-06-28 12:43 PM

I would say it's less painful, and more mind numbing. I can't seem to push myself. I also can't drink and run so I end up with water up my nose at every aid station, and that sucks, and I get super dehydrated.

I just feel sluggish and slow, thirsty and it's not a calming experience like swimming or biking.

I've started singing in my head and talking to everyone who passes me to stay entertained.

I can't say it hurts, but it does feel like work: it's mentally taxing.

On the upside, the race put me in at 9th in my AG, coming in at 28.04. I think I'm in a small age group though, F 20 - 24, but I was still excited to see single numbers.
2007-06-28 6:08 PM
in reply to: #864583

Champion
Good work at the race - clearly the feeling sluggish and slow is just that

As for mind-numbing, have you tried running trails or at least areas that you can watch the scenery change? I find that mixing up running routes and finding some fun trails to run is great for motivation; both to get out and run and while running.

Shane

analog_girly - 2007-06-28 2:43 PM

I would say it's less painful, and more mind numbing. I can't seem to push myself. I also can't drink and run so I end up with water up my nose at every aid station, and that sucks, and I get super dehydrated.

I just feel sluggish and slow, thirsty and it's not a calming experience like swimming or biking.

I've started singing in my head and talking to everyone who passes me to stay entertained.

I can't say it hurts, but it does feel like work: it's mentally taxing.

On the upside, the race put me in at 9th in my AG, coming in at 28.04. I think I'm in a small age group though, F 20 - 24, but I was still excited to see single numbers.

2007-06-30 8:16 PM

2007-07-01 4:35 PM
in reply to: #867416

Champion
This is a very common problem and many experienced swimmers will do this - especially when they pick up the pace.

I assume that you are probably breathing on one side (every second stroke) or bilaterally (every third stroke). Depending on which pattern you are using, you will want to exhale with your face in the water at the right "pace." Basically you want to have exhaled fully underwater and be ready to roll to breath at that moment - allowing you to get a full breathe without continuing to exhale when your face is out of the water.

If you aren't comfortable breathing out underwater, stand in the shallow end, bend at the waist and blow bubbles - then roll to your side, breath and repeat. This will get you used to exhaling underwater in an environment where your muscles are demanding a great deal of oxygen.

If you are finding that you are unable to breath comfortably due to effort, a solution can be as simple as slowing down - if you are swimming at a more comfortable pace, you can focus on your breathing patterns much more easily.

Hope this helps,

Shane

tylerhatcher - 2007-06-30 10:16 PM

Shane, Any help on breathing during the swim would help me a lot. I seem to be holding my breath too long and gas out very quickly.
2007-07-03 7:55 AM

2007-07-03 2:39 PM
in reply to: #870107

Champion
Glad to hear - just keep working away at it and it will get easier and easier

The pressure decrease is normal - tubes will gradually lose air so they need to be pumped back up to pressure on a regular basis. Typically I will check mine once a week and also before any long rides.

Shane

tylerhatcher - 2007-07-03 9:55 AM

Shane, Thanks for the help on the breathing. It really made a difference in the pool today. Also is it normal to have the tire pressure on my tri bike to gradually decrease or do I have a slow leak that I should be concerned about. I filled the tires to 110psi about three to four weeks ago and on my ride today they felt a little flat so I checked the pressure and both front and rear were down to approximately 60psi. Is this normal?

Thanks
2007-07-26 11:12 PM

2007-07-28 7:07 AM
in reply to: #903388

Champion
Best of luck with the race

For a sprint race I usually have a can of ensure three hours before the start. However, if you've never tried it before it is worth trying in training as some people do not like the taste or can have GI issues with it. Basically, aim for about 250-300 cal three hours before the start. After that, sip water until thirty minutes out from start time at which point you can switch to sipping sports drink.

Not sure about the Zoot short - I don't usually use my trisuit in the pool as the chemicals can destroy many materials but four uses seems a little quick for it to be wearing out.

Do you have a pacing plan for your race?

Shane

tylerhatcher - 2007-07-27 1:12 AM

Shane, a few pre race questions. I have my first sprint tri in a week and I am wondering what time and what I should eat before the race. The race is at 8 AM and I have to check in at 7:30 am. Any suggestions? Also I purchased a Zoot tri short and have been training in it at the local pool once a week. I have had it approximately one month and have noticed that some of the material on the back of the short is starting to frey and become see through. Is this normal?

Thanks
2007-07-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: #904954

2007-07-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #905080

Champion
Basically a guide to how you are going to tackle the race - an idea of effort level and/or HR for each of the legs of the race.

Shane

tylerhatcher - 2007-07-28 1:12 PM

What is a pacing plan?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shane's/gsmacleod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3