foothill striders
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 13m
Overall Rank = 0/1000?
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/1000?
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am. Bagel and water. Drove 90 miles to Heritage High School. There is an hour time change from my house and the ride site. Arrived at 7am their time. Prepped the bike for riding.
Event warmup:

Light stretching
Bike
  • 4h 13m
  • 71.5 miles
  • 16.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode the 3 State 3 Mountain 2 weeks ago and was jacked about riding another century. We lined up and at 8am and were off. We started out downhill averaging around 24 mph the first 5 miles. Turned onto the Foothills Parkway and started up. I was passing people like crazy..really hammering until I realized it was about a 6 mile climb. Backed off a little and enjoyed the views of the Smoky Mountains. I got to the top and took a few pictures. The next 10 miles were all downhill. I went past the first water stop at 37mph. Wasn't about to go back. There was a 5 mile stretch I was averaging over 40mph. Got to the bottom..what a rush. The first full sag was at mile 35. They didn't have much to eat and were out of Gaterade so I ate my cliff bar and drank water. The next 20 miles had some very rough roads and we turned into a headwind of 15mph. Give me mountains to climb over headwinds any day. 2nd sag stop at mile 55 was almost out of everything and had 1 restroom with a 50 person line. I got a few cookies and ate another cliff bar. Back on the bike we rode parallel to the Smokies on roller coaster roads with great scenery. I never shifted so much in my life. At mile 58 the right knee started hurting..by 65 miles I was pedalling mostly with my left leg. We had met up with the metric riders so at mile 67 I rode in with them to the finish instead of turning onto the rest of the century course. I ended up riding 71.5 miles and it ended up being a very wise decision.
What would you do differently?:

Not hammer the only big hill on this ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate pizza..pizza...pizza...pizza Grabbed a quick shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rode into a 15mph headwind for 30 miles. Right knee soreness.

Event comments:

They ran out of Gaterade at the sags. They needed more info about the course in their handouts. I never did see a support vehicle on the course. Big let down after 3 State 3 Mountain ride. The only good point about this ride were the fantastic views.

Last updated: 2007-05-24 12:00 AM
Biking
04:13:00 | 71.5 miles | 16.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/1000?
Overall: 0/1000?
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Highways and biways to make up 100 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-05-24 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Subject: Tour de Blount Century

2007-05-26 6:08 AM
in reply to: #815834

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Tour de Blount Century
Nice ride!  I can't even imagine going downhill for 5 miles.  Awesome!  Bet the scenery was too!  You definitely earned the pizza at the end!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Blount Century Rss Feed