Ironman North America Athlete Services
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 53m 18s
Overall Rank = 899/2048
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 128/271
Pre-race routine:

Set the alarm and wake up call for 4:40. Woke up at 4:19, that in of itself was a major accomplishment for me. Got a cup of coffee and a bagel with PB. Ate, showered, dropped the kids off (they were happy to go swimming), lubed up and dressed. Just tried to relax myself and remind myself that this was my 1st 70.3.
Event warmup:

Put on my pack, grabbed my pump and head out. My warmup/wakeup was just the .8-.9 mi walk from the Hotel to the race site. Listened to a little music on the walk. It was pretty neat walking down this little path just before sunrise with other athletes heading to the race.
Swim
  • 45m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't know how many times I went over this in my head, just take the swim easy, conserve, and finish the swim. I was able to stay with a group until I hit the first turn buoy, from there my line just went all to hell. Staying with the group I didn't have to do much sighting and was swimming a pretty straight line. I was only sighting about every 15 breaths and was doing pretty good. Once I turned left though I lost the group, I think I just kept turning left. I looked up one time when I rounded the buoy, found the next one and went on my merry way. I took about 15 breaths and looked up and I was right next to one of the boats, way off line. It took forever to get back on line and messed with my head so much I started sighting every other breath really slowing me down and got me out of rhythm. The rest of the swim was just a zig zag all over the place with me not being able to trust myself where I was going. Still stayed calm and just eased through it. A little slower than I expected, but I didn't overextend and get myself out of whack.
What would you do differently?:

I still need to swim more and REALLY need to get some more open water swimming in. This was the first OWS of the year for me. I really thought I had a 40 min easy swim in me, but eh, I swim like a rock with no sense of direction.
Transition 1
  • 05m 47s
Comments:

Aside from the long run from the water to my rack, this was a really slow T1 for me. I had grass all over my feet and took the time to wash it off, I put on sunscreen, my HR monitor, jersey, socks, shoes, helmet, race belt, glasses and took off for the bike. I knew I was in for a long day and just wanted to finish so I really wasn't in any hurry but I was really slow and just couldn't get my shit together.

Move a little more efficiently and don't suck T1 up so bad.
Bike
  • 2h 42m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I took the 1st 10 miles pretty easy just trying to settle my HR and get some water in my system before ramping up the effort. That's pretty much what I did and was a little slow but thought I could really make up some time later in the course. About the time we hit Avalon Rd I tried to bring up the speed but that's about where the winds picked up. No problem, just stay aero and race the course. Settled in at about 22-23mph. I was constantly passing people on the bike but this just seems to be a trend with me. I'm so slow out out the water that I just have to play catch up on the bike and while I feel like I am making progress, in reality all I'm doing is passing slow people. It got a little congested at times and for the life of me I don't understand why people can't comprehend staying on the right side of the road unless you are passing. I had to yell 4 times to one guy that I was passing and he just kept riding about 1 ft from the center line, nobody was on the right side for 25-30 yds each way. For the most part people were staying apart but I passed a few pacelines and people riding side by side. Traffic was good until about mile 40-50 where we were on 2 lane roads and I think we ran into church traffic. This really slowed me down since the cars were being nice and polite and not passing people on the bike but meant for me that I got stuck behind 7-8 cars for 1/4mi to 1 mile stretches where I could do nothing but sit up and ride behind. I thought I was running 22-23 pretty much most of the bike except for the hills and traffic, but my time doesn't add up. Oh well, it's the chip time that counts. Overall a good ride and didn't overextend myself for the run. As I came off the bike I saw my wife, daughter, and mom waiting for me. Really put a smile on my face to see them there.

Probably bring up the effort a little more after 10 miles, but hey this was my 1st 70.3 and My goal was to finish.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

T2 was much smoother for me. Still had a long, long run from the dismount line to my rack, but overall not so bad.

Not much
Run
  • 2h 16m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

1st 2 loops I just took out easy and was about 40 minutes for both. Felt good and relaxed. I thought this was going to be cake. I just ran an easy pace and took a little water at each aid station. Made a pit stop right at the start of lap 3 to pee, shit I did a 5:53 1/2, I'm not going to pee on myself. Everything fell apart about a mile into the 3rd loop. I didn't bonk but just before we hit the grass trail I started to feel my quads tightening up. Just before the 1st aid station my first set of cramps hit me. I started walking and trying to massage them out as I was was going. Not so bad that I locked up but just a foreshadowing of what was coming. Started back running/yogging after the aid station and made it about a 1/2 mile before they cramped again. From then on it was just a series of run 5 minutes, legs cramp up, walk till they relaxed, and repeat with each set of cramps getting progressively worse. Finally hit the last mile and tried to force myself to run the last mile but it just wasn't happening. I cramped up 3 times in the last mile with the last one hitting me like a ton of dog shit. I almost fell over forwards, my quads locked up so hard. I was reduced to doing some kind of crazy legged chicken strut just to make forward progress. Finally my legs relaxed and I ran the last 1/3 or so into the chute and across the line.

Hell, I have no idea. I felt great for the 1st 2 loops and then it just felt like somebody stuck a tap in my gut and drained every bit of energy all at once.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and got my finishers medal and shirt and picture then went looking for my family. Really made everything else seem trivial when my daughter came running up and hugged her nasty, sweaty, dirty, salt caked dad. Found a chair to sit down and then started coughing uncontrollably for about 5 minutes. I'd been sick the last 10 days and thought everything was under control but I guess it came back one last time right after the race. Cough or no cough I found beer and it could have been the best beer I've ever had in my life, I'm talking better than beer I stole from my parents fridge when I was 16 good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well I beat my goal of 6 hours, finished my 1st 70.3 and my family got another trip to Disney World so I really don't care if I could have gone faster. That said, I honestly don't spend enough time in the pool and don't do enough long bike rides but I can live and learn. I just had heart surgery last August, so finishing this was fine by me.

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:26 | 2112 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 196/271
Overall: 1236/2048
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts only
Course: Triangular/rectangular out, a little to the left and then back in. It was well marked, but I was wearing orange tinted goggles and made seeing the smaller buoys a little hard.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:47
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:42:49 | 56 miles | 20.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 104/271
Overall: 660/2048
Performance: Average
HR AVG. - 153
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Single loop with a few small rollers right near the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:44 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 143/271
Overall: 168/2048
Performance: Below average
HR Avg - 167
Course: 3 loops in and around Fort Wilderness. About 1/2 on grass trails.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-24 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2007-05-25 1:06 AM
in reply to: #816434

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Congratulations on your first 70.3
2007-05-25 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Awesome race report!  Now that is a good beer, I must say.  And you're right, only the ones that truely love you hug you and actually touch you after a race.

Way to gut it out.  I'd say since you only pee'd once during the race, hydration got you on that third loop.  But you finished and that is what counts.

2007-06-07 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Wow man! I didn't realize you did a half

I think it was a time to kill for.... nice job on this race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed