On The Run
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 49s
Overall Rank = 32/261
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

not so good today, got stuck at work for 14 hours yesterday which would have been ok but i had things i wanted to do that i had put off and now it was too late. just had time to eat and go to bed. couldn't get my shit together and was so afraid i was gonna forget something that i printed off a checklist to be sure i had everything. loaded up the car and took off for the race. stopped at whataburger and got a big dr pepper and a taquito. thought i'd try out a new nutrition plan. i started getting nervous and couldn't finish it.
Event warmup:

well i got there and realized that i wasn't as late as i thought. i had budgeted 45 minutes for the drive and it was only 30. picked up my packet, got my chip, got marked and went to set up transition. it was great there, everyone i knew was right around me. our swim seeds were close so our rack spaces were too. kinda cool having 5 or 6 friends right around. i went off and did my own thing, got in the pool and swam a few laps. one of the things i like about a pool swim tri is that you can stand around and run your mouth before the start. i was surrounded by the winner of the 65-69 males and the girl who took 4th in the 35-39. two pretty cool people that i ended up talking to on and off for the rest of the day. the clouds outside, which had been threatening, opened up before i got in the water. i was gonna have to ride in the wind, which was already gusting pretty heavily, and rain.
Swim
  • 04m 58s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

this pool swim wasn't my fastest, but for the amount of time that it was slower than the other one (2 seconds), i wouldn't trade for how good i felt in the water today. i made a conscious effort not to hammer the first few laps and i was rewarded with not getting tired at all. i started seeing bubbles on the third lap and saw i was catching my line friend. hit her feet a couple times by accident (distance is so hard to judge in the water) and thought she may let me by at the wall. she didn't and i struggled for about 2 seconds on whether i was gonna go for a pass. i decided i had to because otherwise i was gonna end up behind her hitting her feet on every stroke. so, i passed. i was afraid i was gonna run head on into the oncoming swimmer so i stayed close to the girl and i could see she was making room for me. i was kinda cool swimming side by side, almost like we were drafting each other but there was some bumping happening and there was no way i was gonna hurt this girl so i went by and wouldn't you know, i kicked her in the face. caught the next guy fairly quickly and he let me by at the next wall. i could hear people yelling for me, another benefit of having a lot of friends racing today. i had a lot left with only the last two laps to go so i started swimming strong and jumped out running.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

typical T1, i'm starting to wonder why i do so well in this part of the race and it must be the whole shoe thing. having them already clipped on makes a big difference. only 3 guys in the age group were faster.

nothing
Bike
  • 39m 34s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.75 mile/hr
Comments:

happy with my bike but i need to figure out what its gonna take to get into the next level. i seem to be neck and neck with the normal fast guys but there is a 1.5-2.5mph jump to get up into the superfast level. what kind of engines do the guys have who just pass up the 23's and have paces in the 24's and 25's? the overall male winner averaged 25.2...in the rain, and with all that wind. thats phenominal.

nothing really. i did miss one turn though. was supposed to do a u-turn under the highway and i missed the u-turn lane. had to go all the way to the intersection, then i pushed my luck and ran into opposing traffic by turning left immediately and then another left to get me back on course. i heard a volunteer yell out "that'll add you on some seconds"!
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

its just stupid that i don't have Yankz in my shoes yet. i go through all the trouble of doing the flying dismount and running and all that and then have only 3 people with slower transitions.

get Yankz
Run
  • 23m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

nothing to say, just that i'm slow. i'm tired of getting caught on the run, its worse now because now i KNOW the people who are gonna come and get me. my training partners both caught me, Tommy right after the mile 2 marker and Brian caught up within the last 50 yards. his wife was there and she was talking to me as i passed her, then she started talking to him too, i didn't know he was there! she had blown his cover. he spoke up as he pulled up to me but i out sprinted him to the finish. he had covered the 1 minute spread from the swim start though and beat me by exactly one minute.
Post race
Warm down:

for the first time ever i got a massage. it was wonderful. the girl took to my thighs with her elbows, it it hadn't felt so good i probaby would have died from the pain. does that make sense? i found Ruth because i had to find out if that was her face that i felt my foot connect with and apologized vigorously. she was cool about it though so i was able to stop worrying about that.

talked with my friends, both old and new.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my suck-ass run

Event comments:

glad i did this race.

Last updated: 2007-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:58 | 300 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 0/261
Performance: Good
Suit: desoto low cut tri shorts
Course: pool swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:34 | 15 miles | 22.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/20
Wind: Strong
Course: i liked the course. it was just about all straightaways running down the feeders of the highway. the wind was behind me on the way out and i knew i was going to have the wind in my face at some point so i hammered it early. before the race everyone seemed to be talking about the wind and i had planned to stay in a gear that i could spin in and not fight it. it was raining pretty good but it wasn't really bothering me cause the course had so few turns, i hoped that it was bothering everyone else though and i suspect it was. it probably was a benefit because it kept me cool. at the first turnaround the course took us right back into the wind and oh dear was it blowing. don't really need to say anymore, we all know what that feels like. i saw a bike way up ahead and decided to reel it in. when i got closer i could tell it was two bikes, a young girl was totally drafting on this older guy. there was no one around to see it, i bet it felt great to get a free ride through that wind though. my right calf started trying to cramp up and that was pretty scary, it pretty much bugged me for the last 3-4 miles.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:56 | 03 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/20
Performance: Average
Course: public roads
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-26 3:01 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Combat Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-26 3:17 PM
in reply to: #818199

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Combat Sprint Triathlon

Awesome race, T! Great job...and you were almost in the top 10% .

Smokin swim...how'd you learn to swim so fast ? I think you bike is great...those guys that are pushing 25 mph probably don't have jobs that have been keeping them there 14 hours a day and more than 5 days a week. You're working hard, but you'll have to put in a lot more time in the saddle to get to that next level...unfortunately life doesn't always allow that. You'll be getting there, though. Also, if you're really serious about it, maybe you can start to educate yourself a little more on power, and find a coach who's also USAC certified!

And, don't get down on yourself about the run. You've had a lot of things get in the way of your run over the past few months (your injury, work, etc.). The run is the one thing in which you need to be patient if you want to see results. If you don't get carried away with trying to get speedy this season but rather train consistently, methodically, and at low intensity, you'll be in a great position for your run next season. And, with your strong bike and how good your swim is coming along, you'll be kicking a lot of butt next year!

Great job today, especially in the wind and rain. I am glad you had fun, and that the woman you kicked wasn't mad at you .

2007-05-26 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
You're a freakin' animal!  Great job!
2007-05-26 10:25 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Great job you are smoking fast i would like to have any one of you paces.  keep up the hard work and you will get there on the bike.  Wow keep it up
2007-05-28 2:17 PM

Master
Houston
Great job, Tag, you should be very happy with your performance.  If I could run an 8 minute mile, I would be happy for a long time.  Keep up the good work.
2007-05-28 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Woah man!  Livin' on the edge with Whataburger pre-race nutrtion.  That stuff...well, it and me just don't agree.

Very nice swim.  That's awesome you feel good in the water.  Comfort seems hard to find for most triathletes.

Nice transitions.  Go get the Yankz man!

Your run is improving...just keep on improving and you'll be running with the big dogs soon enough.

Glad to see you enjoyed the race.

2007-05-29 6:15 PM

User image

Great job Rob!!! Awesome bike!!!! You will get there, keep it up. 

First of all - 40-44 age group???? WHAT??? I would have never believed that - even if you had told me yourself.....no way..

Second - haven't we had this discussion about yankz before????? What's up dude??? You are all about the speed - just need to apply that to your transition.

We missed you at the Austin BT gathering this weekend, but I am glad that you actually got to race - unlike the pitiful crowd in Austin.  To make matters worse, the sun showed up within the hour after the race was cancelled.

Take care! Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Combat Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed