Hess Cancer Foundation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 11/70
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Alarm goes off, I hit snooze, then I hit snooze again, and then I finally rolled out of bed. Got up, put on race clothes, ate breakfast, checked bike tires, gathered other equip. up, kissed wife and kids and headed out the door.
Event warmup:

Quick and short (~1 mi) bike ride to the event. A little bit of walking/running to/from the transition area to the registration/finish area for misc. stuff.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 32m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I was alot stronger at the start on the uphill section of the bike than I thought I would be. I managed to get ahead of quite a few people right at the start, and did a decent job of holding my ground. I'm not sure what the difference was between my trial ride Thursday and the ride saturday, but it was night and day difference.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I turn around earlier (I went a little too far) and lost some ground on some people. I could have saved 10 sec. or more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I did better than I expected I would on this transition. It was fairly easy to come in and rack the bike, throw off the gloves helmet and shoes and put on the running shoes, get a drink and take off in the 40s. I took.

Honestly I think the time is what I needed to prep myself for the run. I don't think a few seconds would have made that big of an impact on my overall performance, and think it would be more wise to take extra time in transition and then try to make it up on the run.
Run
  • 17m 50s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I should have done alot better on this run than I did. I was disappointed with the way I felt on the run. I should have been stronger. My previous run pace on Thursday was sub-eights, and I fully expected to be able to do that on this course. For some reason, I wimped out. My feet were bothering me (they were extremely sore from my bike pedals) and that hindered my speed and didn't allow me to focus. Also, the heat was more significant than I thought it would be. It must have been close to 80 degrees. Still, it was mostly a lack of mental willpower to keep pushing like I should have.

Push and ignore the pain. I was fully capable of doing much better, but I talked myself out of trying. It was only 2 miles. I should have reminded myself of that. It would have been over before I knew it.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a bottled water, banana and orange, and did some walking/stretching to cool down. Chatted with some fellow participants about how the race went.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental weakness. I came into this race under the assumption that I wasn't going to do that well (because I hadn't trained well, and I'd been sick). That was a poor assumption- it turned out that I did much better than expected on the bike, and should have easily been able to push through the run. I told myself it didn't matter, and that thought held me back.

Event comments:

This race was alot of fun because of its small size, and it has alot of potential to be a really great race. Getting through registration was a bit slow and that delayed the start of the race, but not terribly. The race has a great starting location and consists of courses that are some of the best offered in the area. It's still growing and I expect it will get better and better as it is held in the future. I'd definitely do it again!

Last updated: 2007-05-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/70
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:32:09 | 10 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 9/70
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Uphill (~3% grade) out to Copperton City and downhill (fast) on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:17:50 | 02 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 22/70
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with a gradual uphill, and a last 1/2 mi. climb of about ~2-3% and back down. Fairly easy.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes