Boulder, Colorado
United States
BolderBOULDER
Total Time = 59m 35s
Overall Rank = 13734/43571
Age Group = Female 50-59
Age Group Rank = 254/2532
Pre-race routine:

I got up early, showered, ate oatmeal/banana, out the door.
Event warmup:

Met up with a group of coworkers at the Park-n-Ride at 7:00 am. We had an 8:11 wave start and it's a 10 minute ride to the starting line so we were doing great on time. The bus takes off and we realize we're not going in the right direction. Someone mentions to the driver that "hey, the race is back that way" and after wasting 15 minutes he gets us turned around. The shuttle is supposed to go straight to the drop off point but we have Mr. First Time Bolder Boulder and he pulls over at every single bus stop to let people on. He even stops to tell the "wanna be" passengers that our bus is too full so they'll need to wait for the next one. Lucky them. Our 10 minute ride took over an hour. We missed our wave start. We finally got there, jumped off the bus, ran to gear check only to find the line was nearly a block long. Crap. So we wait and wait and wait, get gear checked, and sprint to join the next wave that's leaving. My HR was way above what it should be but I heard the gun go off and I was on my way.
Run
  • 59m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I took off too fast but the adrenaline was pumping at this point. Just a little past the 2 mile mark my body reminded me that I should have hit the port-a-potty so I made a pit stop. I was trying to pee as fast as I could, all the while thinking that 100 people just flew past while I sat on the throne, yeah, there goes another hundred. Time well wasted. The streets were lined with the crazy Boulder crowd, live bands, and water gun maniacs. There was a slip-n-slide at mile 3, tempting, but since I'd already made one stop I didn't think I could afford another. Mile 4 was the toughest and I'm not sure why but I think my legs were trying to say "excuse me, we just hit the 5K mark and we like that distance." A band was playing Chariots of Fire as I passed the mile 5 mark. Got hosed down at mile 6 and that felt oh so good until it mixed with the sweat on my forehead and burned like the dickens running into my eyes. And finally ... Folsom Field. I graduated from CU so running into that stadium with 50,000 screaming athletes was as awesome as it gets.

Mile 1 8:44
Mile 2 9:20
Mile 3 11:17 (always, always, always pee before the race)
Mile 4 9:22
Mile 5 9:19
Mile 6 9:29
What would you do differently?:

Always, always, always pee before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Bagel and Gatorade. Walked to catch my breath and cool down. Met up with my group in the stadium. Hit the expo for a bit and then caught the shuttle to the Park-n-Ride. Lucked out and got an experienced driver on the trip back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Navigating through so many walkers definitely slowed things down. Next year I'll go with a qualifying wave. I wasn't disappointed in my run though. It's my first 10K and my goal was to come in under 1 hour so I'm happy with that.

Event comments:

The Bolder Boulder is a Memorial Day tradition and people from across the globe show up to participate. Very well organized and lots of fun.

Oh yeah, last but certainly not least, I sat in dog poop while going through my gear bag. Geez. I thought the Boulder "pet guardians" took care of sh!t like this.

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 254/2532
Overall: 13734/43571
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat course with a few small hills to make it interesting. Started at 30th and the Diagonal Hwy and finished in the CU Folsom Field stadium.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-30 9:33 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: BolderBOULDER

2007-05-30 11:59 PM
in reply to: #823387

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: BolderBOULDER

WOW!! What a great RACE from the start (being over an hour late) to the finish (sitting in dog poo, teehee) to seeing that you totally met your goal - and BEAT it by about 1/2 a minute!!

WEW-HOO!! I love the BB. I missed not doing it this year because it IS so fun but it's nice to hear you seemed to soak it all in. Congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BolderBOULDER Rss Feed