General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ear plug trouble still Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-01 8:08 AM

Regular
Subject: Ear plug trouble still
Can someone who uses the silicone ear plug balls tell me how they insert the silicone pieces into their ear to achieve an effective seal?

I am rolling the silicone into a ball and then just pressing it into my ear. But, when I then put on my swim cap, it pulls on my ears and dislodges the plugs a little. Then I'm sitting there pressing on the silicone with the cap on, and it's hurting my ear a little bit. I eventually get them to a point where it feels okay, but inevitably, at some point, I still get a small amount of water in my ears.

2007-06-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: #825236

Elite
Subject: RE: Ear plug trouble still

Hey quaker-

I use that type of plug for every swim, but I don't normally use a cap. Although I did use a cap in my pre-race practice this week and it did not dislodge the plug.

Make sure that the inside of your ear is dry and relatively clean of wax before inserting the plug to improve the seal (just give the inside of your ear a good swab with the corner of your towel).

If you can't get it to work, just remember that not all types of earplugs work for everyone, so you might try one of the other types mentioned in the earplug thread. Good luck!

Edited to add: Yeah, "ball it up and shove it in" is what I do. I've never had any ear pain when inserting and I might take that as a bad sign.

Edited by ScottoNM 2007-06-01 8:17 AM
2007-06-01 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Pull the cap over the ear completey so that the cap is holding the ear plug in also. That works for me.
2007-06-02 6:36 AM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Also, when you're putting it in, reach above your head with the other hand and pull up on the top of your ear... It'll straighten out that first turn in the ear canal, and you should be able to get a better fit.

Really, don't stick them all the way in your ears, though - these aren't q-tips. If you want an 'all the way in' fit, get the kind that look like little harpoons. My wife's an er doc, and spends her pediatrics rotations pulling random objects out of kids' ears. It's harder than you might think.

-Josh
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ear plug trouble still Rss Feed