Peninsula Runners Club
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 31s
Overall Rank = 97/202
Age Group = 20-24M
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up pretty early, felt nice and loose, ate a bagel with peanut butter, had some orange juice and a cup of coffee!!
Event warmup:

About 150 in the pool, felt ok I guess!
Swim
  • 06m 7s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt ok in the warmup, but didnt feel too superb on the actual swim. Got passed by the guy behind me at about the 350 mark, wasn't feeling the warm pool too much and it was definitely not a great start to a not-great race :P
What would you do differently?:

-Not too sure actually, I did feel Ok I guess, but just didn't have the opportunity to get my usual big lead as the swim was so short
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was pretty quick, but as you will read, made a BIG mistake regarding clothing!

You'll see :P
DON'T WEAR A SUPER TIGHT FASTSKIN!
Bike
  • 1h 11m
  • 19.88 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I made my first major mistake. I decided not to sacrifice my lead over my heat in favour of riding in my Fastskin. It definitely was a stupid move!! From the very beginning of the somewhat hilly ride I could feel how tight the suit was around my legs.

Needless to say I didn't fare very well with this, and I was DYING the first lap. I would love to give you bike computer stats, but I am actually lacking that :P.

Anyways it took me until the 3rd lap (4 laps of 8km) to actually get rhythm and figure out that I needed to stay in a higher gear (very inexperienced on the bike).

So my final lap was MUCH better and my speed was significantly increased climbing up hills. I could DEFINITELY feel the suit digging in to my leg and I couldnt feel my right foot by the end of the ride.

Not good :(

Also the sun was a HUGE factor for me, with this being my second triathlon, and UBC tri being my first (it was cold in the pouring rain). I tried to stay hydrated and I downed 2 GU gels, but made a mistake assuming that there would be water stations on the bike, but there wasnt and I was stuck with my mixed sugary/amino acid drink :( BIG mistake again.

The volunteers were pretty good with cheering and everything, but they needed proper instructions with how to deal with traffic. There was a handful of times where I was almost having to stop and wait for cars to turn in front of me.

-Not wear my fast skin suit
-Use a higher gear throughout the bike
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Took of my fastskin suit, jumped into my jogging shorts, as it was absolutely killing my legs as you have probably read above :P

Down a power gel maybe?
Run
  • 39m 13s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt terrible after the bike. The sun was beating down and I still had not seen a water station (not until 1km in), and my legs were recovering from the Fastskin suit still.

I am not sure whether it was that, or the lack of water + sun that hit me the hardest, but that was a ridiculously slow run, with me walking at least 100 meters of every lap. I couldnt believe how badly the dehydration was affecting me, so I was doubling up cups of water on every lap.

At the end of the 1st lap, I had such ridiculous tunnel vision that I wasnt paying attention to the course, and I ended up running past where I was supposed to go, and back to the beginning of the course, which added 1km to my distance. That REALLY sucked.

Only on the third lap was I able to get to a faster pace, but I knew that my fitness level was much greater then before the UBC triathlon, and I was going much faster then.

I need a bike coach, and some running clinics to be sure :) You can read this and snicker all you want!

Basically everything? Only thing I did right was to change out of my fast skin.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked away, pissed off, and cursing to my girlfriend, and mom and her boyfriend.
Pretty good warm down, wouldn't you say? Teee hee :p

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Dehydration
-The Sun
-Being an idiot, wearing a fast skin on the bike
-Not knowing how to use a bicycle

Event comments:

Was definitely not happy with the result, but I vow to get better biking and nutritional abilities before Penticton on July 15!!!

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:07 | 547 yards | 01m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 22/202
Performance: Below average
Suit: Fastskin FS II Jammer
Course: Indoor pool, Panorama Recreation Center
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:11:00 | 19.88 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/202
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: -Mostly uphill, with some flats and one sharp downhill
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:13 | 04.35 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/202
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 laps, in a rectangle, consisting of a flat/downhill/flat/uphill. Pretty standard
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Panorama Classic Triathlon

2007-06-03 7:18 PM
in reply to: #827464

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Panorama Classic Triathlon
GOOD JOB!
YOU FINISHED!
What you just did was experiance. Now LEARN from this. Go back and try to remember what went wrong this race, and what went right. Something had to go right. You learned that the most efficient way of cycling is having a high cadence of 85-90. Also, running at the same cadence. You need To get out more on the bike. More time in the saddle is what you do need. Keep getting out there and riding finding out what works for you.

Congratulations on a great learning experiance.
2007-06-04 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
I will have to agree with CrazyPop! You finished your second triathlon, way to go! Your swim time was great and now you know you need to work more on the bike and the run. Don't count this as a bad experience, as long as you've learned something from it (which it sounds like you did!). Use this to make your next tri that much better.
2007-06-04 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Thanks for the feedback guys
I really appreciate it!

I definitely have learned something from this, and was able to recognize all of my mistakes! As unhappy as I am about the race results, I'm definitely glad I could identify what I did wrong!

Thanks again!
Derek
2007-06-08 6:58 PM

User image

Elite
Dang.  That was a great swim.  I guess you are basically a swimmer.  The rest will come.  TW
2007-06-09 12:03 PM

User image

Wow.  You swim fast.  Do you really need the fast skin?  A tri suit (or tri shorts/tri top) would likely see you better through all three disciplines without having to change.  They might slow you down a little bit, compared to the fast skin, but nothing compared to how much changing your clothes afterwards would slow you down.

What a gorgeous day for a race, and what a great job you did despite your discomfort!  What's the next race on your plan?

2007-06-09 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Thanks for the feedback guys.
My next tri will probably be the Peach Classic tri in Penticton, giving me ample time to get my biking up to snuff.

Thanks again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Panorama Classic Triathlon Rss Feed