General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When is it safe to run again? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-19 3:26 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: When is it safe to run again?

I've been doing what I can to fix my ITBS irritation and it seems to be getting better.  I can walk down stairs without pain now and was even able to run a little today (I was on a walk and decided to test out my knees) without many problems.  It still felt a little tight, though, and after a while it starting getting a bit worse, so I stopped.

How do I know when I can run again and how much can I run when I start up?  Is it cool to run until the knee starts feeling tight, walk until it resolves, and then run again or does that make it worse?  And if I was running 15-17 miles a week before the ITBS, can I pick up where I left off or do I need to start at a lot less?  It a little discomfort to be expected or a sign that I'm still not ready?

I really think that I'll be alot better by next week but I don't know what to expect and how to get back into the groove.  Of course, if my knee starts hurting, I will stop but I want to get going again as soon as possible.

2004-09-19 8:51 PM
in reply to: #63833

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: When is it safe to run again?
As discussed, I am with you on this one. Let me know if you get a good answer as I need help too. (After the Destin event, I am taking at least 2-3 weeks off)

Tony
2004-09-19 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME QUESTION!
my knee is killing me....and I'm in a giant state of panic right now because I'm running a marathon in 4 weeks....=(

I rested it for a week and it was fine...till I started running and it became crazy again...

Now I'm really upset at my leg...
2004-09-20 4:20 AM

Regular
Not sure how long you need to rest it but you need to look at what is causing it to stop it continuing.
Things that might be causing it are:

Not enough warm up or cool down.
Old shoes.
Sudden increase in mileage
Too much hill running
Weak knee muscles

I'm sure there are others reasons too. I'd recommend going to a good shoe shop where they will analyse your stride and get some new running shoes for your style of running. Stay away from the hills and soft ground for a bit, reduce the miles and do stretches and/or weights on you legs to improve the stability.

Edited by John_0026 2004-09-20 4:22 AM
2004-09-20 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Having had ITBS I can tell you what I had to do (which you may not want to hear). For me it was 4 weeks away from running w/ PT (to stretch the ITB / glutes) along with a strict regimen of stretching on my own (even missed a couple of races I had planned). Before the ITBS got bad enough that I needed to get attention, I was running about 15 - 20 miles per week. After the 4 week layoff I had to start back w/ 1 mile of run walking, wait a day and see how the knee's felt. If they were okay I bumped that up to 1.5 mile run walking etc. In about 3 weeks I was back up to 10-15 miles and was feeling pretty good.

All the time I was either not running and once I started back again I was doing ITBS stretches 3 times a day and extra after I would run. 6 years later I am still doing these stretches at least once a day.

Remember rest now may keep you healthier in the long run. There are always other races but only one set of legs.

Hope that this helps and good luck.

Adios
Dave
2004-09-26 12:16 AM

User image

BC
Hello,
I have had chronic ITB problems for years now due to stupid training awhile back, when I didn't know better and listen to friends... Now, everytime I start running/biking again I have to be extremelly careful with them. Over the years I have tried different things, done quite a bit of physio, and now I am a bit better at not brutalising my body. Took me a while. :-( Basically for acute tendinitis like that, it is important to stop any activity causing the irritation right away. (not forever don't worry)

WHAT IT IS IN A NUTSHELL
Basically any activity which requires to bend the knees to about 30 degree has a chance of triggering the inflammation. Usually, what is happening is that the Ilio-Tibial tendon is rubbing back and forth on the epicondyle that is just on outside of the knee. Some people experience pain/tightness in other surrounding areas, like the side of the leg, or below the know cap (the outside part of the lower leg).

Anyways, there are several possible causes. It could be bow legs, It could be flat feet (pronation), it could be overtraining, running on cambered roads, running techniques, bad shoes, weak hip abductors, weak inside quads, etc. Typically women get it more than men. A lot of the time it is a flat foot problem, combined with overtraining. Over training varies for everyone. It all depends where you're at, and how much you added to your training lately, how fast. Hill training, going from running for time to running for distances, doing speed work are all note worthy changes in a training regiment...Not following the 10% rules can do it too. but even if you've "done everything right", you may still experience ITB problem, like me, and it is important to listen to you body (don't do like I did basically) cuz it'll get worst!

For acute treatment:
1. RICE Rest-Ice-Elevation immediatelly after injury. Ice every 2 hours for 10-15 minutes. Also take 1 Ibuprofen to also help reduce inflamation. DO not stretch the area. Keep this up for the next 2-3 days. Avoid walking long distance and using body part. DO NOT RUN, Avoid going downhill, downstairs, etc.

Here are links that explains (in way better form than I :P) As well as exercises to help get rid of this. I really don't wish it to my worst enemy (if ther is such a person). It has caused me lots of frustration, lost of motivation and pain over the years. Good luck and BE PATIENT! (it's the best advice I can give)

cheers.

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/01_96/hip.htm
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm
http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/injury.htm
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/

2004-09-28 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Steph -

Thanks so much for those great links!  I'm training for my first marathon and seem to have done something to my knee ( I had to stop short to avoid getting struck by someone pulling into a driveway and I think my knee got hyper-extended).  It sounds like the IT band.  It's frustrating, because I've been careful about increasing milage.  It doesn't hurt that much -- yet.  I'm bummed because my marathon is in 6 weeks and I've been training for it for the past 2 months.

I guess I should consider cancelling my registration, but I don't want to.  If I rest, ice, stretch, and do the suggested strength training from the website, will it get better in time for the race?

2004-09-28 11:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-09-28 11:54 PM

BC
I guess I should consider cancelling my registration, but I don't want to.  If I rest, ice, stretch, and do the suggested strength training from the website, will it get better in time for the race?

---

I don't know if it is your it band...Usually this type of injury, which is a tendonitis, comes on gradually. You might have felt some tension on the side of your tight, and also growing incomfort right on the outside of the knee, usually as it becomes apparent only when you run (maybe 15 to 30 min into your run) or a few minutes after you have stopped, or when you go down a hill.

It may be possible that that's what you're injury is but, I would most definitely check it with a Physio ASAP (it is much easier for them to detect what is the problem when there is a defined painful spot and when the event is fresh in your memory!). Also, if you are injured right now, do not stretch or try to strenghten the area for a while. It will only irritate it more, and perhaps aggravate the situation. For now the RICE technique is the way to go.

If you want to do that marathon. Go see a physio right now for more chance of success.

Cheers!
2004-09-29 11:10 AM
in reply to: #66561

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Steph,

Thanks for your post.  Unfortunately, when I tried to run on a treadmill last Saturday (after buying new running shoes), I found that the problem was still unresolved.  After 1.25 mi, it started hurting.  I walked for a quarter mile and started running again.  By 2.5, it really started up again.  I then walked and jogged off and on until I finished a 5k, but by the time I finished, it felt like someone kicked me in the side of the knee, which was the worst it ever felt.  Now, the pain is about the same as it was when I started.  I guess my running season is over and the Thanksgiving half marathon is out of the question.  I'm going to renew my efforts to heal and set a new half marathon goal that is far enough away to let me recover and build up again.

2004-09-29 12:25 PM

Expert
acton, Ma

I was wondering if my new running shoes could have caused my knee problems?  Is this possible?  The pain started shortly after I got my new shoes....

2004-09-30 11:21 PM
in reply to: #67709

BC
Whit - 2004-09-29 8:10 AM

(...)my running season is over and the Thanksgiving half marathon is out of the question.  I'm going to renew my efforts to heal and set a new half marathon goal that is far enough away to let me recover and build up again.

--

Whit,
I know this licks big time but, yes, you may have to put off your goal a bit But at least you have a confirmation: your ITB needs a temporary rest —and you are being smart about your injury. Believe me, you do not want to end up with a chronic tendonitis. It is not time to go running, hiking, biking major Ks at this point. You may not run *THIS* half marathon, but you WILL most likely run many more in the future, if you do not overtrain and brutalize your knees right away.

At first, I was really bummed to have this problem, but now I see that it actually helped me in some ways: 1] it helped me be focused on the long term+on health benefits rather than performance only; 2] see the importance of learning more about training techniques & training consistantly/regularly; 3] gauge when I am overtraining/pushing too hard...

"Experts" say that it is best to have a full year of regular running, focused on "time" (running approx. 3 times a week/30-1h per session) rather then mileage/speed, before attempting half or full marathons/ironman distances. A friend who's a trainer also says that it is a good idea to have "on" and "off" seasons where the off season is focused on rebalancing muscular strenght with plyometrics/resistance training, maintaining fitness levels through moderate cardio sessions/cross training, and RESTing a bit more than normally, and preparing the next "on" season's training/race scheduling. Basically, she says, training *hard* year round may not be the best way to go. Rather, you need to schedule-in periods of less activity (but not complete alts) to repair the body.

I am "trying" to find ways to get smart about training to be able to tri and be in the best shape that I ever was in the long *run*. Being injured has been my opportunity to do just that!

Take care!
2004-10-01 8:00 AM

Expert
acton, Ma

that sounds so sensible....(sign) it's just a let-down from getting mentally and physically prepared for my first marathon.

2004-10-02 9:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Got ITBS while training for Adventure Race; raced anyway and paid for it.

Here's my long road back to recovery (still on it, but showing significant improvement)

After the AR, got diagnosed and was sent to massage therapy and strengthening for 2 months. During the first two weeks, I could not walk, bike or even watch a movie without feeling stabbing pain, much less run. Started cycling in high cadence / low gear after second week with some discomfort. Swimming did not generate ITB issues, only breast stroke (kick).

Began doing 5 min walk/ 1 min jog intervals twice a week after a full month. Then slowly worked my way up to inverting that interval without feeling pain.

Started doing full 45min jogs after 7 weeks. After that, jogged slowly no more than twice a week and no longer than 1hr. Finished therapy sessions. Continued specific ITB stretching 2-3 times a day.

Ran first 10k (actual race) after 12 weeks at nearly four minutes above my usual pre-injury time. No pain, no discomfort.

Went on longest post-injury run (2hrs) today, no pain or discomfort.

I'm still not doing any "speed" training, but I'm just happy to be out there running again. I can't say I'm fully recovered yet since my ITB still feels "odd" sometimes during the day (I work at a "desk" job). But it doesn't bother me during training.

In short, my advice is to work your way up progressively and never train under pain or more-than-average discomfort. Lots of stretching, at least twice a day.

For me, it has been just as tough mentally as physically. Specially with regards to postponing goals, reducing training and losing some fitness.

Edited by dragoman 2004-10-02 9:25 PM
2004-10-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: #68826

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Great info!

I'm glad to hear about how you got back into running.  I wasn't sure if doing walk/run intervals would help or hurt.

I'm working very hard on strengthening and stretching right now.  I'm occasionally taking ibuprofen if it feels worse than normal and have now scheduled twice daily icing on my computer calendar.  I think in another week, I'll start the walk/run intervals and take it slowly from there.  I feel that if I'm at least working towards recovery, albeit slowly, I'll be in better spirits.

Thanks for your insight!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When is it safe to run again? Rss Feed