Team Magic
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 36s
Overall Rank = 95/371
Age Group = Beginner
Age Group Rank = 18/176
Pre-race routine:

Nervous as crap about my first tri ever! Didn't think I would be able to sleep at all. Tried to get to bed around 10:30pm, packed and planned transitions beforehand. Woke up around 5:30am, mixed a protein, honey, Emergen-C drink in water and ate a fruit cup. Took a shower to wake up, got dressed and walked down to transition area to setup and get body marked.
Event warmup:

Not too much, ran for about 5 min or so and on my way down to the swim start. Tried loosening up my arms as much as possible before the swim.
Swim
  • 08m 24s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim overall, however I need to learn to sight better and stay on the inside of the course. I probably swam an extra 50 yards by being on the outside. Water was freaking cold and a shot to my system to start out with, but after rounding the first bouy, I got the hang of it. Overall my breathing was pretty good, should have started out breathing every 4 strokes like planned but they adrenaline got to me. I kept thinking I can't belive I'm doing this and I'm actually racing now after all the training.
What would you do differently?:

Try to find someone to draft, stay on inside and sight better. Wear a wetsuit in cold water??? Not be afraid to kick or get kicked by someone. I was worried about my time chip falling off because it was loose the whole time so I checked it a few times in the water, losing a few secs.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Swim to run transition was good (Two 1.5mile runs w/ bike in between), felt comfortable and relativly quick.

Run to bike was good and I was pleased with it. Ran with bike, but need to work on jumping on bike from a run. My clip-in was very good, as good as I had practiced. Left first than right foot. Quicked transition by rolling end of tongue between velcro straps to make slipping shoe on easier and so tongue wouldn't come out.

Try not using socks for run, don't trow stuff into bag. Either hold swim stuff in had or just throw it down and go.

Run-bike would learn to jump on bike while running. And getting into shoes while riding.
Bike
  • 46m 4s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Really pushed the bike. Gear changes were difficult especially at the beginning while my muscles were still getting warmed up. The way back was much faster and cleaner of a ride than the way out. I was really pushing it hard and at the 10 mile mark I had to slow it down a bit as my left anterior tibialis was starting to tire out. I think I could have done even better on a properly fitted bike but, overall I was really impressed with my ride. Eating gel on the ride was difficult especially with all the hills, but I managed to get it down around the 8th or 9th mile.

Move the position of my feet on my pedals. Practice eating on the ride, get something to hold the gel and the package after I finished with it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Run-bike and bike-run transitions were pretty good. Need to practice but I felt like I slipped on my shoes quickly and got going very fast. Just need to practice dismount.
Run
  • 25m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

First run was still recovering from the swim and trying to get my heart rate down. Met up with a 63 yo man who was an experienced Triathlete and we ran together, talking about tris and slightly pushing each other. It really helped me from overdoing it right off the bat.

Second run I started tighenting up in left calf slightly, and at the beginning of the uphill my right hamstring started tightening. Once the flats came, I was able to lenghten my stride and stretch them out. After that I felt the last half of the run was really fast and I really pushed myself to the finish.

Drink more during the race, especially powerade or another gel. I was drinking water but not enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Almost collapsed, both in exhaustion and in happiness that I finished. I walked around and drank water until my breathing was back to normal. I couldn't believe that I finished and that all my work these past 6 weeks was put to the test. It was probably the most intense and physically demanding/challenging event I've ever done. It was so great to finish and have such a wonderful supporter and cheerleader throughout the race. My gf made this race and my time even better by all the cheering she was doing at each of my transitions and all the help, support and encouragement she gave me before, during and after the race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, fluid intake, bike?...

Event comments:

Thought they did a great job with the race, there could have been more festivities, but overall it was alot of fun. I'm really excited that I was able to compete in it and FINISH! One tri under my belt and I think I might be hooked!

Last updated: 2004-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:24 | 400 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/176
Overall: 0/371
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri bottoms
Course: Rectangular course. Open water in a small lake cove. Started and finished from a boat launch ramp. Started each person 2 sec intervals.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:46:04 | 13 miles | 16.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/176
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back course, through neighborhoods and very hilly, a few monster climbs. Slow course with many turns. Surface varied from smooth to really rough with potholes. Cars on roads which we had to avoid/pass.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:10 | 03 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/176
2 x 1.5 mile runs w/ bike in between first run (13:14 => 8.82 min/mil 22nd place) second run (11:56 => 7.95 min/mil 43rd place)
Course: First run (point to point) started uphill, then flattened out, followed by a steady climb, a downhill and a final climb up to the transition area. Second run (out and back) started downhill then a climb uphill, with the rest flat except for the same hill at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes