General Discussion Race Reports! » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Monroe, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 48s
Overall Rank = 27/131
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30 and had the usual pre-race breakfast (toast with peanut butter, coffee, and lots of water). Loaded up and got to the race about 5:30. Setup transition. Saw a guy who was very nervous standing in transition, asked if this was his first tri (it was). Explained how the transition area worked and helped him setup his area. Hit the bathroom multiple times. Had half a clif bar before I did my warmup. After the warmup, double checked my gear and walked down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

About an hour before the first wave went off, went for a short ride just to make sure the bike was in working order. Did some light jogging and some running drills (butt kicks and high knees) followed by some light stretching. Didn't go in the water because my wave was 45 minutes after the first one, and I did not want to be freezing while sitting on the beach. About fifteen minutes before my wave went off, did some jumping around and light stretching.
Swim
  • 23h 31m
  • 1093 yards
  • 2h 09m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt VERY uncomfortable for the first half of the swim. I wasn't panicking but I wasn't relaxed either; breathing was labored, stroke wasn't smooth, and I couldn't avoid contact with other competitors. Water was cold, but I am not sure that was 100% of the problem.

Switched to breast stroke for about five minutes, wasn't moving as fast but I was starting to relax. Switched back to crawl, and really focussed on swim mechanics (long and smooth in the water exhaling in between breaths). With three buoys to go, I was finally feeling good so I picked up the pace. When I started hitting the bottom with my stroke, got up and ran the rest of the way in.

One good thing about this swim, nagigation was excellent. Never drifted off course.

What would you do differently?:

Done at least one open water swim before this race and possibly do a short swim warmup.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

As soon as I crossed the timing mat, I was able to put the swim behind me and focus on the rest of the race. Very smooth transition, no wasted energy; dropped the cap and goggles, wiped the feet off, slapped on the shoes, socks, and helmet, grabbed my nutrition and headed out. Jumped on the bike and was clipped in and upto speed within 15 seconds of transition.

In the run up from the beach, saw five people in front of me. Beat them all out of transition.

Nothing, this was a good transition for me.
Bike
  • 41m 27s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal for the bike was to ride 'comfortably hard'. Right out of the transition, I passed several other riders. Heart rate was a little high at the beginning, so took it a little easy for about a half mile. Got stuck behind a car that being overly catious as I left the park, so that helped me get the heart rate under control.

After exiting the park, started picking up the pace. I was actually passing some other riders (a rarity for me, normally I just hold my own on the bike). A guy from my age group passed me, but he was a bigger rider and mashing pretty hard. Let him go since I thought he would fry his legs and I could take him on the run.

Minor incident about half way through. Was coming up on a turn, and saw a women in front of me who was not riding a very straight line. Didn't want to pass her on the corner so I slowed down a bit. She had exited the turn as I was entering it. Announced that I was on her left (as the RD asked us to in the course meeting). Of course, she looked over her left shoulder and began drifting left. I then screamed, "I'm on your left", she screamed, "I know" (while still drifting into me). Ended up going into the other lane to avoid the accident (thank goodness there was no oncoming traffic)--I probably could have been DQ'd since crossing the center line on an open course is an absolute no-no, but I didn't want to crash either.

Calmed down from that, and rode the last 1/3 strong; picked up the pace a little more since the legs were feeling good and there was hardly any wind. As we entered the park again, saw the guy from my age group that had passed me. He had fried his legs and was hurting pretty bad (chaulk one up in the good decision category).

With about a half mile to go, dropped down a few gears and started spinning to get the legs ready to run. Unvelcroed my shoes and prepared for a smoooth transition.

Very little. This was one of my better bikes. In retrospect, might have been able to push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Another good transition. Stepped out of the cycling shoes, put the running shoes on, grabbed the race belt and started running.

Nothing, another good transition. I could be a little faster here if I could find a quick lace system that could get my shoes tight enough around the toes.
Run
  • 28m 5s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Had full intentions of rocking the run. Wanted to start a little slower and build throughout. Did the first mile in about 8:00 minutes. Grabbed a gel and water at this aid station. Started picking up the pace here and did the next mile in 7:30. Was still feeling really good so I picked up the pace some more and did the last 1.8 in 12:35 (about a 7:00/mile pace). Drank a little something at each aid station.

This was a great run for me. Passed bunches of people (including two guys from my age group) and only got passed once.

Push a little harder early on. I don't think I was even close to red-lining during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some gatorade and found my family. After a little bit, ate some cookies and drank some more gatorade. Cheered on the remaining sprint competitors and then watched the half-ironmen make the transition from bike to run. Grabbed some more food and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not doing any open water swimming this year. This was a 'B' for me, so I was not fully tapered. I still had a good ride, and one of the strongest runs I have had during a tri.

Event comments:

Great race for a great cause (Racing for Recovery). Last time they had a race at this venue it was pretty bad. They corrected most of the problems and it was an awesome experience. Great post race food and plenty of aid stations out on the course.

Last updated: 2007-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
23:31:00 | 1093 yards | 2h 09m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 59/131
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Basically a straight line, paralleling the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:27 | 14 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 28/131
Wind: Little
Course: Exited the state park and rode through farm country. Lots of turns on this course, but the roads were smooth and there was very little vehicle traffic. Pancake flat course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:05 | 03.8 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 21/131
Course: Shady course around the lagoons of the state park. All blacktop with no hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint

2007-06-11 3:41 PM
in reply to: #839064

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint

Hey Craig, way to put the swim behind you.  Sounds like you had an awesome race from that point forward and you raced your plan.  (although you may have to increase your plan difficulty since you had so much left.)

Keep on building! 

2007-06-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #839064

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Subject: RE: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint
Looks like the trip was worth it. Good race! I only dream of swim times like that . . . Jer
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed