General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help allay my nerves Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #842013

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Help allay my nerves
22 hours remaining until race. I just finished my gear checklist and am now starting to practice my transition setup. This is the first time that I think being organized is really going to help me.

I also picked up a Race Number Belt since me and safety pins have a long and horrid history, haha.

Weather for tomorrow keeps changing. One minute they are saying 90 and sunny, then 85 and cloudy, now 87 and thunderstorms.

I need to do some research into transitions and the rain. How do I keep my stuff dry while I'm in the pool? Do I even worry about it? OMGWTFBBQ?!?!

Josh

2007-06-15 10:37 AM
in reply to: #845690

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-15 11:05 AM
in reply to: #845694

Veteran
lvthgme - 2007-06-15 10:37 AM

sf_biggestloser - 2007-06-15 10:34 AM 22 hours remaining until race. I just finished my gear checklist and am now starting to practice my transition setup. This is the first time that I think being organized is really going to help me. I also picked up a Race Number Belt since me and safety pins have a long and horrid history, haha. Weather for tomorrow keeps changing. One minute they are saying 90 and sunny, then 85 and cloudy, now 87 and thunderstorms. I need to do some research into transitions and the rain. How do I keep my stuff dry while I'm in the pool? Do I even worry about it? OMGWTFBBQ?!?! Josh

Great idea getting the race belt. I didn't for my first...maybe four races and what a PAIN. Love the race belt.

As far as rain...I've only done one race in the rain so far. It was COLD and I didn't have any rain gear. Or long sleeves. Or pants. But I survived. =) And it was still fun. =)

Have a BAA-LAAAST! =)

I will just be using my tri-suit, as I don't want to deal with longsleeves or rain gear for the entire cost issue (ie I'm a broke mofo). Once I get the entire transition issue figured out I think I will have a blast.

Josh
2007-06-15 11:33 AM

Mountain View, CA

I don't have much to add to what others have written, but I did want to say that if you want to use your Camelbak, and you feel comfortable riding with it, use it! It won't cost you that much time in transition, and if it will make you feel better about hydration, it's worth the extra few seconds.

Most of all, CONGRATS on all you've achieved so far, and HAVE FUN!!! Looking forward to reading your race report!

2007-06-15 12:24 PM

Veteran
Allen, TX

Josh,

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but I want to wish you the best of luck. I look at what you've done over the past two years, and even though we've never met, I'm so proud of you!!!! Your story is going to be so inspirational to so  many people!

I just did my first sprint last weekend, and it was such a great experience. I can confirm that there is just as much cheering going on for the BOPers than for the participants who finish fast. Not only from family and friends, but from other triathletes and the volunteers on the course. You will have great support the whole way.

Good luck, and I can't wait to read your race report!

2007-06-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: #845690

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
sf_biggestloser - 2007-06-15 11:34 AM

Weather for tomorrow keeps changing. One minute they are saying 90 and sunny, then 85 and cloudy, now 87 and thunderstorms.

I need to do some research into transitions and the rain. How do I keep my stuff dry while I'm in the pool? Do I even worry about it? OMGWTFBBQ?!?!

I just had a rainy-day-tri experience...so I'll chime in - although I'm sure there are better ways, but I did this in a pickle and it worked out OK.

Bring a bunch of plastic grocery store bags... one over your bike seat, one over your cyclo-computer (although I didn't do this one), shoes & socks double bagged, another bag over your race number and anything else, etc. Everything will still get a little wet, depending on how hard it's raining, but it will be better than nothing.

And smile - rainy race pictures are cool.

Kristen

2007-06-15 11:58 PM

Re: rain. Plastic bag your seat and cyclometer as mentioned. Get a cheap plastic tub with a lid to put your shoes, etc.. in. It only has to be big enough for your goods. Lay everything in it in the order you will take it out and put it on. This was a suggestion someone gave me, and I did it. But, it didn't rain- so maybe it can be used to ward off the rain Gods too.
Have a blast .
2007-06-16 1:07 AM

Expert
In limbo

Hey Josh,

I guess I'm a bit late to be replying here but I just wanted to add....even if you are the biggest guy there (which I doubt you will be), it just makes you that much more of a badass that you can do all the same stuff as all the guys smaller than you!  Be proud of it and be proud of the work you've put in!

I haven't done a tri yet (but in some weird lapse of better judgement I registered for one on july 15th...darn encouraging BT ppl!!!) so I don't have any advice for any of the rest of it, but I look forward to reading your race report so I can get some ideas and tips for my first.  I hope it's an awesome experience for you!

2007-06-16 5:28 AM

Veteran
3 hours and 5 minutes until start time. I managed to get just over 4.5 hours of sleep and I feel pretty good considering how nervous I am. Stomach is in knots and I'm hoping I can get rid of that . I told the wife if she doesn't get up with my first two attempts to wake her she is resigned to riding with the rest of the family. I have a feeling I'll be heading out alone this morning and seeing them all closer to race time. That's fine with me, I feel like I need some peace and tranquility this morning.

I ended up shaving my legs last night.. what!??!!?!?! YEP! I just decided that I wanted to experience every aspect of this adventure to the fullest. And dang, it makes my calves look poppin... pics later.

I'm off to become a triathlete.

josh
2007-06-16 7:36 AM

Champion
Butler
Good Luck. 
2007-06-16 7:51 AM

By the time you see this, you will have finished the tri - you Mr. Triathlete, you!!!

Congrats....and keep it going, brother.

2007-06-16 7:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Have fun!! And remember you are already a winner!!
2007-06-16 9:46 AM

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Go, Josh, GO!!!!!!

Good luck today and have fun!

Edited by TBZ 2007-06-16 9:47 AM
2007-06-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: #846864

Veteran
Can't wait to hear all about it!
2007-06-16 12:48 PM

Veteran
I survived! I will save the gory/glorious/funny/crazy details for my race report. But I will share this, I finished! I didn't drown, I didn't get a flat, and I didn't puke... hehe. I will have a race report, very detailed, up as soon as the time results post on All Sport Central. I didn't have a timer of my own so right now I don't know any splits, just my overall time.

I also had a few pictures/videos.

Josh
2007-06-18 8:34 AM
in reply to: #846953

2007-06-18 10:48 AM

Denver, CO
From one big guy (272 today) to another -Congrats on finishing the first one!! As you look forward to your second one, I'm sure that many things you learned this past weekend will come into play. Here's my two cents on what you addressed in your OP.

Walking on the Run! Heck ya, I do it every race! I find that 30 seconds of walking at the aid stations gives me the little rest I need to keep pushing on.

Biggest person on the course/ Don't want to finish last. I have that same feeling and so what. I figure that if race results were calculated on minutes racing per pound of weight that I would be pretty competitive. Obviously that's not real fair to those skinny people, but it makes me feel pretty good. I don't see this method of result tabulation catching on though:-) LOL

Clydesdale/Athena category - there should be another category -lumpy, because that's what I am. I think its a huge myth out there for us really big people that the Clydesdale/Athena division is for us. 200 pounds and you are still a Clyde. 280 and working on getting in shape is nothing like a trim, buff 200 pounder. I have no delusions, so I make up my mythical category of other like sized "lumpy" people and compete against them. You just have to look at us in our wetsuit to know, but at the same time, it takes courage to parade out in front of everyone for that swim if you are in the lumpy category like me. But just think of what you looked like before you chose to get on that beach and into that tri suit....

Transitions....I look at it this way. For someone who will finish a race in a hour, 1 minute of extra Transition time is 1/60 of their race. For someone who will finish a race in two hours, 1 minute of extra transition time is 1/120 of the race. Not as important. So the performance in the actually racing is a little more important that flying through the transition and not doing everything correctly.

Finally, I have a poster in my office that my brother gave to about 10 years ago right after we each did our first triathlon. It says "DETERMINATION - the race is not always to the swift...but to those who keep on running." Ironically it took me 8 years after we did that first tri together to realize that I needed to get back into shape and decided to start tri-ing again. In August we are going to compete in the Brewhouse Tri (his first tri since 1998 and my third in the last two years), but this time its no longer a destination for us, its just a stop along the way to being more fit! The clock alone does not judge our accomplishments!

Keep it up!

2007-06-18 5:17 PM
in reply to: #846953

South Elgin, IL
I cant wait to read the RR! Im proud of you and dont even know you!- stumbled across your post about your fears this past Friday and most of them are MY fears as well so I was realllllllly interested in your post and the replies and thought about you a million times over the weekend! I checked out the course today that I will do on Sunday the 24th (yes, my first sprint,Im scared outta my mind). I walked/drove/scouted it for a basic feel for the area and direction of where Im going.... I know I can do this but the butterflies in my stomach today were really powerful....but I feel like Im more prepared now/as best as I can be and now Im just in it to finish and have fun and learn from it for my next one. Seriously- for every person who posted to your comments Im sure there were a thousand more who read them and experienced a lot of the feelings you were going thru! Good luck with your next one, thanks for helping ME, and cant wiat to read your race report! YOU DID IT!!!
Tara
2007-06-18 11:22 PM
in reply to: #849540

Veteran
checkpointchica - 2007-06-18 5:17 PM

I cant wait to read the RR! Im proud of you and dont even know you!- stumbled across your post about your fears this past Friday and most of them are MY fears as well so I was realllllllly interested in your post and the replies and thought about you a million times over the weekend! I checked out the course today that I will do on Sunday the 24th (yes, my first sprint,Im scared outta my mind). I walked/drove/scouted it for a basic feel for the area and direction of where Im going.... I know I can do this but the butterflies in my stomach today were really powerful....but I feel like Im more prepared now/as best as I can be and now Im just in it to finish and have fun and learn from it for my next one. Seriously- for every person who posted to your comments Im sure there were a thousand more who read them and experienced a lot of the feelings you were going thru! Good luck with your next one, thanks for helping ME, and cant wiat to read your race report! YOU DID IT!!!
Tara

Tara.

My race report from last weekend is up! So you totally have to go read it, talk about a crazy weekend. After doing my first sprint triathlon I can say three things:

My fears were unfounded, because what I lacked in physicality I made up for in heart.
I made mistakes, but I already learned from them.
I had more fun than I thought humanly possible.

I feel that I will be forever addicted to this triathlon lifestyle. In fact, I'm already registered for the Dakotaman (the one I just did) for next year :D

I have a shorter sprint tri this weekend (450y,12m,5k), but the bike is nonstop steep climbs and descents. So I have a fun weekend coming up on the 23rd, and I'll be thinking about ALL of you guys at beginnertriathlete while I'm huffing and puffing my way up and down mountains (ie big hills).

Josh
2007-06-18 11:28 PM
in reply to: #848632

Veteran
sweetlou94 - 2007-06-18 10:48 AM

From one big guy (272 today) to another -Congrats on finishing the first one!! As you look forward to your second one, I'm sure that many things you learned this past weekend will come into play. Here's my two cents on what you addressed in your OP.

Walking on the Run! Heck ya, I do it every race! I find that 30 seconds of walking at the aid stations gives me the little rest I need to keep pushing on.

Biggest person on the course/ Don't want to finish last. I have that same feeling and so what. I figure that if race results were calculated on minutes racing per pound of weight that I would be pretty competitive. Obviously that's not real fair to those skinny people, but it makes me feel pretty good. I don't see this method of result tabulation catching on though:-) LOL

Clydesdale/Athena category - there should be another category -lumpy, because that's what I am. I think its a huge myth out there for us really big people that the Clydesdale/Athena division is for us. 200 pounds and you are still a Clyde. 280 and working on getting in shape is nothing like a trim, buff 200 pounder. I have no delusions, so I make up my mythical category of other like sized "lumpy" people and compete against them. You just have to look at us in our wetsuit to know, but at the same time, it takes courage to parade out in front of everyone for that swim if you are in the lumpy category like me. But just think of what you looked like before you chose to get on that beach and into that tri suit....

Transitions....I look at it this way. For someone who will finish a race in a hour, 1 minute of extra Transition time is 1/60 of their race. For someone who will finish a race in two hours, 1 minute of extra transition time is 1/120 of the race. Not as important. So the performance in the actually racing is a little more important that flying through the transition and not doing everything correctly.

Finally, I have a poster in my office that my brother gave to about 10 years ago right after we each did our first triathlon. It says "DETERMINATION - the race is not always to the swift...but to those who keep on running." Ironically it took me 8 years after we did that first tri together to realize that I needed to get back into shape and decided to start tri-ing again. In August we are going to compete in the Brewhouse Tri (his first tri since 1998 and my third in the last two years), but this time its no longer a destination for us, its just a stop along the way to being more fit! The clock alone does not judge our accomplishments!

Keep it up!

If there was indeed a 'lumpy' category I so would have taken first place in my group, damn I need to start a petition. You know, in reality I don't think I could have gotten any more pride than had I won my first race. The encouragment and cheering of all of those who finished before me (in fact some finished before I even started my run) just astounded me. I heard cheers as I came out of the water, as I rode in on the bike, and I as turned my finish line jog into a full on sprint as a I finally glimpsed the finish line.

A quote has been resounding in my head the last couple days:

A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles...

And because of this great thing called Triathlons, I have made more friends than i can imagine.

Josh
2007-06-19 9:51 AM
in reply to: #849910

Champion
Butler

sf_biggestloser - 2007-06-18 11:28 PM
sweetlou94 - 2007-06-18 10:48 AM From one big guy (272 today) to another -Congrats on finishing the first one!! As you look forward to your second one, I'm sure that many things you learned this past weekend will come into play. Here's my two cents on what you addressed in your OP. Walking on the Run! Heck ya, I do it every race! I find that 30 seconds of walking at the aid stations gives me the little rest I need to keep pushing on. Biggest person on the course/ Don't want to finish last. I have that same feeling and so what. I figure that if race results were calculated on minutes racing per pound of weight that I would be pretty competitive. Obviously that's not real fair to those skinny people, but it makes me feel pretty good. I don't see this method of result tabulation catching on though:-) LOL Clydesdale/Athena category - there should be another category -lumpy, because that's what I am. I think its a huge myth out there for us really big people that the Clydesdale/Athena division is for us. 200 pounds and you are still a Clyde. 280 and working on getting in shape is nothing like a trim, buff 200 pounder. I have no delusions, so I make up my mythical category of other like sized "lumpy" people and compete against them. You just have to look at us in our wetsuit to know, but at the same time, it takes courage to parade out in front of everyone for that swim if you are in the lumpy category like me. But just think of what you looked like before you chose to get on that beach and into that tri suit.... Transitions....I look at it this way. For someone who will finish a race in a hour, 1 minute of extra Transition time is 1/60 of their race. For someone who will finish a race in two hours, 1 minute of extra transition time is 1/120 of the race. Not as important. So the performance in the actually racing is a little more important that flying through the transition and not doing everything correctly. Finally, I have a poster in my office that my brother gave to about 10 years ago right after we each did our first triathlon. It says "DETERMINATION - the race is not always to the swift...but to those who keep on running." Ironically it took me 8 years after we did that first tri together to realize that I needed to get back into shape and decided to start tri-ing again. In August we are going to compete in the Brewhouse Tri (his first tri since 1998 and my third in the last two years), but this time its no longer a destination for us, its just a stop along the way to being more fit! The clock alone does not judge our accomplishments! Keep it up!
If there was indeed a 'lumpy' category I so would have taken first place in my group, damn I need to start a petition. You know, in reality I don't think I could have gotten any more pride than had I won my first race. The encouragment and cheering of all of those who finished before me (in fact some finished before I even started my run) just astounded me. I heard cheers as I came out of the water, as I rode in on the bike, and I as turned my finish line jog into a full on sprint as a I finally glimpsed the finish line. A quote has been resounding in my head the last couple days: A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles... And because of this great thing called Triathlons, I have made more friends than i can imagine. Josh
The one racing co. in Dallas has a hippo category for those over 240 but they do not do tri's.  Only runs and du's and I am not even sure if they use the hippo category for du's.

2007-06-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: #850320

2007-06-19 10:08 AM

Champion
Butler
Sure is.  They have clyde, Rhino (215+) and hippo.  There is actually a thread around here somewhere about this where people show all the different names that are used by different races. 
2007-06-19 10:10 AM

Champion
Butler
2007-06-19 10:12 AM
in reply to: #850349

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help allay my nerves Rss Feed  

of 3