General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help allay my nerves Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-12 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Help allay my nerves
In four days time, I will compete in my first Sprint Triathlon. In eleven days time, I will compete in my second. These statements by themselves do not appear all that daunting, but right now those 22 words scared the everloving jeebus out of me. Because of this, I decided to make a thread in hopes that some of the more experienced BT'ers can chime in and help calm me down. Here are my concerns:

1) I am going to be the biggest person there!
- At both of these triathlons there are only Age Groups, no Clydesdales/Athenas. This scares me because while I take pride in doing triathlons at my size, I don't want to be 'the fat guy'. Ugly insecurity rising, bad stuff.

2) I don't want to finish last!
- I know that finishing last is better than a DNF or something like that, but I mean REALLY, who wants to finish dead last in their first triathlon. I know that I have it IN me to at least beat one person, but I have been having some nightmares about coming across the finish line and nobody is left there to cheer for me.

3) Hydration!
- I only have one water cage on my bike, and I'm afraid that it won't be enough. At 280lbs (estimated weight on race day) I sweat a LOT and need a lot of hydration. I'm toying with the idea of using my Camelback, but all of my tri friends say I won't need it. There aren't many aid stations on the run, and I don't have a fuel belt.. so yeah, not sure wtf to do there if I don't use the Camelback.

4) Flats!
- I have all the gear neccesary to change a flat, but I am horrid at it.

5) Transitions!
- Since I don't use clipless pedals (too broke to buy some) I will be taking some extra time in T1 to throw on the shoes and maybe socks (worth the time for the comfort?) The bright side is that my T2 time should be AMAZING.

6) Wetsuit!
- I don't have one, and every other single race competitor I have talked to does. I've done a few OWS to prepare, but I feel that I am putting myself in a distinct disadvantage by going with my trisuit.

7) Wobbly Legs!
- Being my size I get insane wobbly legs! Normally I just walk a minute or so and then they go away, but I really want to not walk at all during the run. I feel that if I walk then I didn't train properly/etc/so on.

8) Media!
- The local newspaper is covering the event with a spotlight on my story/journey to get here (from over 400lbs less than 2 years ago) So I feel added pressure to show up big!

Ok, so now that my rant is over I'd GREATLY appreciate feedback/comments/anything you can share. I thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Josh

2007-06-12 11:32 PM
in reply to: #842013

User image

Subject: RE: Help allay my nerves

sf_biggestloser - 2007-06-12 8:27 PM In four days time, I will compete in my first Sprint Triathlon.

First, congrats!  on signing up for something most people will never do...now........

1) I am going to be the biggest person there! - At both of these triathlons there are only Age Groups, no Clydesdales/Athenas. This scares me because while I take pride in doing triathlons at my size, I don't want to be 'the fat guy'. Ugly insecurity rising, bad stuff.

I know where you're coming from.  Remember, all those critical voices are you, they're not your parents, childhood friends, whoever.  Thank them for sharing, tell them to shut the f**k up and get on with your biz-nass.  I am AMAZED by the different types of people that show up - large, small, tall, short.... ALL kinds of people do these.  Who cares what size you are?  You're out there challenging yourself.  I'm a clyde myself, so I know those voices.  Use them, turn them into motivation.  Tell yourself, fine you want to be an a$$??  Motivate me to go out there and do my best.

2) I don't want to finish last! - I know that finishing last is better than a DNF or something like that, but I mean REALLY, who wants to finish dead last in their first triathlon. I know that I have it IN me to at least beat one person, but I have been having some nightmares about coming across the finish line and nobody is left there to cheer for me.

First, you probably won't be last.  But if you are, so what?  Frankly, the loudest cheers are for the back of the pack at most tris I've done.  And you really have NO control over who else shows up, a lesson I learned this weekend.  You can do your absolute best you have EVER done, and if everyone that shows up is faster than you (unlikely), there aint' a thing you can do about it.

Your one and only job is to enjoy the experience of your first tri.  Read my sig line below, written by Xan, when I was going through a tough time coming up to a triahtlon and absolutely full of self doubt.  The truest words I know about racing, and I like to read them every day because they're so damn good

3) Hydration! - I only have one water cage on my bike, and I'm afraid that it won't be enough. At 280lbs (estimated weight on race day) I sweat a LOT and need a lot of hydration. I'm toying with the idea of using my Camelback, but all of my tri friends say I won't need it. There aren't many aid stations on the run, and I don't have a fuel belt.. so yeah, not sure wtf to do there if I don't use the Camelback.

Keep a bottle at T1 and take a few swigs there.  One bottle should be plenty for a 10-12 (?) mile ride.  Swig again in T2.  You can even carry one on the run.  Also a heavy sweater here.

4) Flats! - I have all the gear neccesary to change a flat, but I am horrid at it.

Nothing you can do but go in with well tended gear.  Maybe practice a couple times before the race.  Flats during arace are pretty rare, odds are well in your favor.

5) Transitions! - Since I don't use clipless pedals (too broke to buy some) I will be taking some extra time in T1 to throw on the shoes and maybe socks (worth the time for the comfort?) The bright side is that my T2 time should be AMAZING.

If you've been training in socks - both biking and running - use socks.  No big deal

6) Wetsuit! - I don't have one, and every other single race competitor I have talked to does. I've done a few OWS to prepare, but I feel that I am putting myself in a distinct disadvantage by going with my trisuit.

A wetsuit would probably make you swim faster, but not wise at this point to get one, practice in it, etc etc.  I wouldn't worry about this (as long as water temps are comfy)

7) Wobbly Legs! - Being my size I get insane wobbly legs! Normally I just walk a minute or so and then they go away, but I really want to not walk at all during the run. I feel that if I walk then I didn't train properly/etc/so on.

It ain't your size... it's getting off the bike   we all get them (well at least I do).  If you walk during the run it just means you walked during the run.  It's your first tri, how the heck would/should you know how to train properly?  This is my third season, I still don't know waht I am doing 90% of the time.....

8) Media! - The local newspaper is covering the event with a spotlight on my story/journey to get here (from over 400lbs less than 2 years ago) So I feel added pressure to show up big!

Are you kidding me?  Going from 400 to 280 and doing a triathlon isn't showing up big?  You're going to be a hero to many people, my friend.  Many people who likely will never be able to do hat you're about to do.

Listen, I'm one to talk, I got a pretty active critical voice, and it's hyper when it comes to my size.  But step back from the cr@p and take stock of where you've come from, where you are, and what you're going to do.  If you're anything like me, you might just continue to amaze yourself as you go onto more and different and longer triathlons, things you never thought you would do.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the journey my friend.  Because if you don't enjoy it, there's no point.

and good luck!

Edited by ChrisM 2007-06-12 11:36 PM
2007-06-12 11:38 PM
in reply to: #842052

User image

Veteran
Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post all of that. It is nice to hear from someone who can relate to some of the fears I'm having. I guess I need to take a step back and remember why I decided to tri. It wasn't because I wanted to win, it was because I wanted to prove to myself that my weight no longer has control over my life. I guess I got so caught up into bringing my best that I forgot that just bringing me is what this was all about to begin with. Damnit, now I'm all teary-eyed at work, gah.. haha.

Josh
2007-06-13 2:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
Josh it ssounds like you have had an amazing journey so far with losing that much weight already and your first tri will be a culmination of all that effort. You are doing brilliantly already and you'll have a fantastic time on sunday - try not to worry too much just enjoy it.,

I totally understand your fears and I'm sure nearly everyone experiences these questions and insecurities before their first tri - i know I certainly did. I'm at the other end of the scale to you being 4'10" and quite small so my worry is that everyone else there will be giants, with great reach on the swim and leaping strides through the run.

I'm sure if you feel prepared and trained enough you will not be last but even if you are, at least you will finish. I've posted a thread about my 2nd race last sunday where I came 49/56 which I was really disappointed by, however comparing against a larger event in teh Uk that is on a very similar course over the same distance, had I done the same time I could have come in at around 40th/610 - a much different result!! So don't worry about your place, get your time and use it as a benchmark for the next events you do and only compare against your own performances at this stage.

Also, I would say if you can go without a wetsuit then do at this stage. I found my first OW swim was very scary partly due to inexperience in a wetsuit and how constricted my chest. Its close to your race to try anything that new which may make a difference and if you have been swimming without one in OW already I'd think you would be fine.

Re: flats at least you can change a tyre, I've not even practiced, in principle I know how its done but I wouldn't worry, you've practiced you know what you're doing, take you time and you'll be fine. if it happens there is nothing you can do, clock the time it takes and take it off your overall race time to give you your benchmark

Transitions/wobbly legs etc -I'm definately no expert but I just take my time, and think it through in my mind before doing it I like to start the run slowly aiming for a negative split, I think of this as part of my race strategy to aim for a good strong finish

I'm sure you'll do fine, I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to hearing how you get on.
best wishes
jess
2007-06-13 6:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

This may sound goofy, but I say embrace all the nervousness and pre-race jitters.  You will only be doing a triathlon for the first time once.  Enjoy the moment.  Everything is good: the nerves, the self-doubt, the sense of accomplishment just getting to the start line, everything! 

Oh and I don't have clipless pedals or a wetsuit and I do just fine for me.  Not winning any medals, but having a GREAT time.  There's a lot of us out there that race like this. 

2007-06-13 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
First and foremost - congratutions - it sounds like you've already won/are winning a more important and harder battle (although it's a never ending battle!). I can somewhat relate as I lost 50 3 years ago.

Most of your concerns can be addressed by a simple concept (one that I struggle with sometimes) ~ RUN YOUR RACE!!!! Don't worry about what everyone else has/does/runs/swims etc.... Have fun and do your best. Believe me ~ if you do that and leave it on the course - you will not be disappointed! You'll know it and that feeling be awesome regardless of the clock and anyone else (and you will be totally hooked as well).

Just a side note, I've used my camelbak for the bike portion at every tri I've done (if you look closely you can see it in my picture) - for me it's a security blanket - just use it if it will make you more comfortable.

Good luck, have fun, and run YOUR race!

Edited by BCYoder 2007-06-13 7:12 AM

2007-06-13 8:00 AM

User image

Hi Josh,

Go have fun and enjoy yourself, looking forward to your RR!!

2007-06-13 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Stoughton, WI
Like drdi wrote...embrace those jitters and concerns. Acknowledge them and accept them as a possibility. I think that makes those things go away. If you resist and ignore they come back stronger and louder. Let'em in the front door, chew on them for a minute or two and they skulk out the back door never to be seen again.

I think you have already changed your life and made some enormous progress. Being nervous b4 your first one comes with the territory. Acknowledge it. Wonder about it. And then get it set in your head that you will do it. You will finish. Your brain is the biggest, toughest, strongest muscle in your body. All 280# obeys what your brain commands. Make it happen!

2007-06-13 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Have you trained? (sounds like it)

Then show up and RACE! 

Doesn't matter if you are/aren't the biggest/fastest/slowest person out there.  What matters is that you prepared to get to the starting line with a goal to finish the race. 

Don't be afraid to walk during the run.  It isn't a sign you didn't train well enough.  If you come in last, so what, you still came in, which is better than everyone who didn't race (the other 99.9% of the population). 

Enjoy the fact that you've lost 120 pounds.  Just because they don't have a Clyde division doesn't mean there won't be any big guys out there (also beware, because some of those Clydes are darn fast).  If the media wants to interview you after the race, smile and tell them how you did what you did. 

2007-06-13 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I did my first tri in March, my second in June...let me see if I can throw some newbie mojo at your concerns....

1) I am going to be the biggest person there!
Yeah, I thought that too, and there was an Athena division, and I was in it, for my first race. There wasn't one at my second race...and I wasn't the biggest girl at either, but you know what - even if I was, I'm a good 1/3 of a person less than I was, so it could have been worse.

2) I don't want to finish last!
They got it right above - my tris have been pool swims, so I've actually watched most of the leaders FINISH before I even get in the pool...and then I'm near the BOP, so I certainly get to see the last ones finish, and I can tell you from experience - the BOP gets way better cheering!

3) Hydration!
I'm embarassed, but I'm still not comfortable drinking on my bike. So, I take a minute and drink in T1. I drink again in T2. If you can drink in transition, plus the one on your bike, you'll be ahead of me.

4) Flats!
Er, I can't really change a flat so you're still a step ahead of me.

5) Transitions!
You betcha - I did my first 2 tris in socks & running shoes from T1 on...your T1 time will not be much more than the other beginners...they aren't leaping on their bikes with their shoes attached either, and your T2 will blow them out of the water!

6) Wetsuit!
Do what you've practiced, so long as the water is not too cold.

7) Wobbly Legs!
You won't be the only one walking during the run, if you need to. You will definitely not be the only one with wobbly legs. Do what you gotta do...

8) Media!
That's awesome...they're not coming to see you "show up big" - they're coming because you're showing up "small"!!! The fact that you will finish puts you in a place most people never get. Rock on & enjoy the experience.

Kristen
2007-06-13 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
sf_biggestloser - 2007-06-12 10:27 PM In four days time, I will compete in my first Sprint Triathlon. In eleven days time, I will compete in my second. These statements by themselves do not appear all that daunting, but right now those 22 words scared the everloving jeebus out of me. Because of this, I decided to make a thread in hopes that some of the more experienced BT'ers can chime in and help calm me down. Here are my concerns: 1) I am going to be the biggest person there! - At both of these triathlons there are only Age Groups, no Clydesdales/Athenas. This scares me because while I take pride in doing triathlons at my size, I don't want to be 'the fat guy'. Ugly insecurity rising, bad stuff. 2) I don't want to finish last! - I know that finishing last is better than a DNF or something like that, but I mean REALLY, who wants to finish dead last in their first triathlon. I know that I have it IN me to at least beat one person, but I have been having some nightmares about coming across the finish line and nobody is left there to cheer for me. 3) Hydration! - I only have one water cage on my bike, and I'm afraid that it won't be enough. At 280lbs (estimated weight on race day) I sweat a LOT and need a lot of hydration. I'm toying with the idea of using my Camelback, but all of my tri friends say I won't need it. There aren't many aid stations on the run, and I don't have a fuel belt.. so yeah, not sure wtf to do there if I don't use the Camelback. 4) Flats! - I have all the gear neccesary to change a flat, but I am horrid at it. 5) Transitions! - Since I don't use clipless pedals (too broke to buy some) I will be taking some extra time in T1 to throw on the shoes and maybe socks (worth the time for the comfort?) The bright side is that my T2 time should be AMAZING. 6) Wetsuit! - I don't have one, and every other single race competitor I have talked to does. I've done a few OWS to prepare, but I feel that I am putting myself in a distinct disadvantage by going with my trisuit. 7) Wobbly Legs! - Being my size I get insane wobbly legs! Normally I just walk a minute or so and then they go away, but I really want to not walk at all during the run. I feel that if I walk then I didn't train properly/etc/so on. 8) Media! - The local newspaper is covering the event with a spotlight on my story/journey to get here (from over 400lbs less than 2 years ago) So I feel added pressure to show up big! Ok, so now that my rant is over I'd GREATLY appreciate feedback/comments/anything you can share. I thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. Josh

First, congratulations on the weight loss and competing.  In my first race even thought I only lost about 30lbs and had competing in running races, I was terrified so you are not alone.  I am sure if you could see people's HR's before the start they would all be high.

1.)  Even at 280, it is likely you will not be the heaviest person there but then again who cares, you have lost 120lbs that is more weight lost than some of the women in the race even weigh.  Great Job.  I'd get a shirt to wear during the race that says something like "from 400 to 280"

2.)  Again, who cares, but you probably won't.  Only 1 person comes in last, and they are pretty slow.  I see you don't have any logs but I doubt having lost 120lbs you are in that bad of shape to come in last.

3.)  1 bottle should be fine.  Worst case like others mentioned put on in transition, suck a bunch exiting the water and the more before the run.  Generally there is only 1 or 2 stop on the run and that should be plenty.  Just grab a cup or 2 of water down it while walking.

4.)  What kind of tires do you have?  Are they Kevlar or have lines to prevent flats?  If not try getting something to help prevent flats.  Why are you worried about this, do you get a lot of flats?  If you get a flat worst case is you DNF which is better than DNS.  Most people are in the same boat, flat equals DNF or finish near the end in a sprint.

5.)  Going without clipless pedals should not be a big deal for transitions, it might actually help you.  Chances are even with clipless you would put on socks and your shoes and then mount the bike and not jump on and slide you foot in so you are not losing anything.

6.)  Forget the wetsuit.  Unless you can buy it today and practice in it, it might be a negative.  For a sprint unless the water is freezing it should not be a big deal.  And again, you probably won't be the only one.

7.)  Wobbly legs are part of tri's, hench the term brick (Bike, Run, Ick).  Almost everyone experiences this.  Just start running and try to keep your form.  Practice this before raceday.

8.)  This should be motivation.  How many people will probably have video footage of their first Tri to watch unless you are a pro.  I would ask for a copy of race footage if they follow  you around.

Just remember, I don't see anything on your list that would cause you to finish  DFL so don't use that as an excuse.  I don't want to seem harsh but as others on this site will say "Suck it Up Buttercup".  You have trained hard and there is no reason to be scared.

Good Luck and even if you finish DFL or DNF, in my mind you are still a Triathlete for making the attempt.

2007-06-13 10:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-13 2:58 PM

Veteran
Wow! The outpouring of support from all of you guys just made my already awesome day even better.

Your comments were just the type of support that I needed. I'm going to embrace the advice and do my best, as that is all I can do. I will finish this race, and from there I will set new goals.

I have a total of 4 races set up for this season. The next one is the Wall Lake Tri on the 23rd, which has is a tad shorter (450,14,3) than the one this saturday (600,16,3.5) so I will use that one to correct any mistakes I make this weekend.

Then on August 12th I have the Green Lake Triathlon in Spicer, MN (450,12,3). Once I complete the August 12th triathlon I will be planning my next Sprint/Oly triathlons (hopefully late 07 or early 08).

2 years ago I hurt getting out of bed due to chronic knee pain
1 year ago I managed to sit on a plane without a seatbelt extension
6 months ago I was able to shop at a non-big and tall store.
4 months ago I at my first taste of triathlons (indoor super sprint)
2 months ago I took up rock climbing for fun
and in 3 days time I will become a triathlete.

I call that a good 2 years.

I love you all for your positive and encouraging comments.

Josh
2007-06-13 3:38 PM

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Josh -- I hope you have a wonderful first race! It will all be over so fast, try to really enjoy each and every moment!

My husband did his first sprint tri at over 280 and didn't come in last. The person who DID come in last had a giant smile on her face and was cheered by tons of people -- she was on the course longer than any of us, that's an accomplishment itself.

My husband walked during the run, so did I, and so did a TON of people who looked to be in great shape.

My husband rode a mountain bike and I rode a hybrid and we both stopped during T1 to put on shoes and socks... and take pictures and basically ham it up. We also stopped in T2 for more pictures and more hamming.

Seriously, enjoy the first experience and smile BIG for the media cameras!

Edited by TBZ 2007-06-13 3:38 PM
2007-06-13 3:50 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas

Can't really gove any more advice than what was given but just go out there and have a blast.  Do this for you, not for anyone else. 

2007-06-13 3:56 PM

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Dude, you'll be fine.  Lots of good thoughts here, I just have two things to add:

1.  There are all types at tris.  I volunteered recently and saw a guy, on a mountain bike, IN HIS WETSUIT still, with a Camelbak.  That's the wierdest.

2.  Have a bottle at T2 that you can take on the run.  There's nothing wrong with carrying a bottle on the run, and it's less cumbersome than a Camelbak.  I would recommend an insulated bottle, though, because it will get hot sitting in transition waiting for you.  Although the Camelbak is fine too, if you'd rather. 

No matter what you do out there, don't worry what people are thinking about how you "look".   They are probably not really thinking anything, and those that are can shove it

Have fun!

2007-06-13 4:04 PM

You've already won, my man! You dropped from 400 to 280 lbs.

If you have the determination and will power to do that, then you'll definitely finish the triathlon without any problems.

Good luck!
2007-06-13 4:15 PM

Josh- What you've already accomplished is amazing. Be proud and go enjoy your success.
Where you finish really doesn't matter. Your first tri is a learning experience. Have a great time and please post a race report!!!

2007-06-13 9:12 PM

Jacksonville, FL
Josh,
I haven’t done a tri yet, I am just starting out.  I won’t even start swimming until I get all my ear tube problems worked out but I can offer this...
#2, finishing last... I watched my brother-in-law last weekend during his umpteenth sprint race.  He’s done a ton of them and is an absolute stud on a bike, always finishes top 3 of his AG, always is upset when he isn’t THE top of his AG, never "trains" just goes out and does them.  When he was done, he came out and, like most of the other racers, watched and cheered for everyone else coming in.  One thing I noticed about the last person to cross the line...
There were TONS of people who didn't enter and run the damn thing to begin with.  Even if your last to finish, your still ahead of everyone else who is watching.  I never heard a single person say "look at the guy in last" it was always things like wanting to do one, or thinking you couldn't do one etc.  Every spectator had respect for every finisher.  If you’re in it for position, worry about position, if you’re in it to finish, then just finish like I know you will.
#3 Hydration.  Don’t drastically change what you have been doing training for a race!  Wear the Camelbak if you trained with it.  I wish Lance would have worn a Camelbak at one of his Time Trials, I bet it would have eliminated alot of the discussions about them!  Don’t over hydrate!  Make sure you don’t drink because you’re nervous and looking for something to occupy your mind!  Just think of it as a training session and where in the hell did all these other people come from!!
#4 Flats, remember this for after the race, make it something you practice from then on.  Buy a cheap rim and tire, set them aside.  Get a banged up one from LBS for free if you’re lucky!  One day ride around the neighborhood, pull over at the house and fix a flat on the spare, then go run.  Brick with a flat!  Get a valve stem remover and you can easily deflate the tire perfectly flat to practice the CO2 charging.  For now, just make sure you understand the method of it and STAY CALM.  As an ex-navy nuclear operator and currently a maintenance technician, I can definitely state: nothing makes your performance go to hell in a hand basket like stress!  If you get one, stay calm and think it through.  Enjoy the short break and SMILE.  Always remember to smile, keeps your mood up and up.
#5 Transitions, my brother-in-law jokes that he reads the paper in transitions, I believe him.   He takes his sweet time.  Take your time, make sure you keep your feet clean and dry, they will thank you for it later!  Be organized and methodical and you’ll have consistent transitions.  Get in a rush and you’ll ride out with 1 shoe and a swim cap under your helmet.
#6 Wetsuit.  How is not having one a disadvantage as long as your body is OK with the water temp?  I grew up surfing and in the winter I was always the last to use a wetsuit.  Too early in the season and I would feel like I was overheating.  Just make sure your body is OK with water conditions FIRST!  Not everyone has to wear a wetsuit at 72 degrees (depending on length of time in water of course.)
#7 Walk/run or is it Camelbak/aerobottle, maybe to strength train or not?  These arguments are always being made.  They will never be settled.  If I had to choose between finishing by walking a little or DNF because I was too proud, I hope Id chose to walk a little!  If it really mattered, you wouldn't be allowed to walk without getting a DQ.  If you have bricked and started the run with a walk to loosen up, I would stick to your training, I seriously doubt there are spectators waiting to point and shout "walker!!!!!" at the transition exit.  Use a Sharpie and write on the back of your shirt "If you see me walking it’s because my run time is to fast for everyone else." 
#8 Media...its interesting that you chose the words "show up big".  The media is there to share a story about you not showing up like that!  
-Change perspective for a second and picture this...your a different person, the person you were years ago.  You see a media highlight about this guy who lost 120lbs. and just totally blew away everyone at this Triathlon.    You think wow, that’s great for him. 
-Change perspective again...your a different person, the person you were years ago.  You see a media highlight about this guy who lost 120lbs. and just finished his first triathlon and can’t wait to do the next one and he loves all the changes he gradually made over time and what a great improvement it has made in his life.  You think WOW, he did all that just by working hard and staying focused.  How do I do that?  Sometimes you can motivate others more by “doing less.”  Isn’t that what you want others to learn from this?  You have already done something many people will only dream of doing.  You are sharing your story to teach others about changes they can make to improve their lives.  If that isn’t FIRST place, I don’t know what is. 
#1 (placed out of order intentionally.)  I couldn’t point out the biggest person at the last tri I watched.  I couldn’t point out any of the 30 biggest people at the last tri I watched.  It’s an ocean of people!  I remember the guy in the tiny purple Speedo (ack!)  I remember the guy who swam with his bike helmet on.  I remember the girl who stripped off more than her swim top (oops!)  I remember they all finished and that none of them had to weigh in afterwards.  Again, if that was important, there would be a scale at the finish line. (not my quote…think that was Coach Gordo’s website)
Go have fun!  This is why you train!  Enjoy the race and reflect on all the changes you have made.  Get emotional!  This is NOT the first step; you made that many moons ago.  Last but not least, heroes are ranked above first place finishers in my book.  You are definitely a hero for many of us.

2007-06-13 9:41 PM

Regular
Seattle WA
After dropping a buck twenty, the sprint should be nothing My first race is Sat too. Im fully prepared to do poorly (I say this, knowing full well that Sat afternoon I will be complaining about my performance), but am looking at the first race as nothing but experience. If I suck, I have the opportunity to redeem myself in July.

Kick tail, and enjoy the accomplishment!
2007-06-13 10:15 PM

Veteran
I've decided to print out this thread to take it with me to read during my downtime before the race. Since I have to be there circa 2 hours early for the newspaper stuff I figure this will be a great way to stay upbeat and positive.

I have been a member of MANY different boards throughout my weight loss efforts and I must say that BT already holds a spot as my favorite. I hope to get to know each of you more, and watch you in your own journies and have you share in mine.

Be ready for an extremely length race report on Saturday night, because I tend to be wordy when I get emotional.

Josh, thankful for all of you.

2007-06-14 2:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
looking forward to your race report Josh, you have had an amazing journey so far and I wish you a great race.

lots of luck to you
xxx
2007-06-14 5:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Josh, I, too, am really looking forward to reading your report! You are an inspiration to all of us...

Now get out there and have a blast!

2007-06-14 9:33 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Go kick some tail - we're all anxious to hear about the experience on Monday!!
2007-06-14 1:48 PM

Master
Clifton, NJ

congratulations!

IMHO, you are a winner before you've even crossed the finish line! you will be awesome and I'll bet your story in the paper will inspire a person or two to take that first step to becoming fitter in their life...

can't wait to read the race report!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help allay my nerves Rss Feed  

of 3