HFP racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 38m
Overall Rank = 91/162
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Drive for 2 hours, ate usual breakfast of grilled cheese sandwich, 1 apple, 1 bannana and the non-standard 2 nobake cookies, drank about 2 quarts of water and diluted gatoraid, pickup packet, set up transition area.
Event warmup:

10-20 min light jogging and some stretching
Swim
  • 51m 23s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had not practiced swimming in quite some time, and even then didn't put in the time or distance. Last (and 1st) 1/2 IM swim time was 46:30.
What would you do differently?:

Train more on the swim. Even a week to tune up my balance, strokes, breathing and timing would have probably cut 5-8 min off my time
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Didn't use any lube so the suit would come off easy...should have. Had to sit down to take suit off. I put on my biking shoes instead of clipping them on the bike. My bike rack(and most others) was totally empty so I didn't have to worry about other people getting in my way. I guess there is one benifit to swimming slow.

Use lube so suit will come off easier. Jury is still out on the shoes on the bike or not...??
Bike
  • 3h 16m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Some of the roads were smooth while others were rough. My limiter was definately the hills. My energy levels seem to vary drastically. I set alarms on the bike to remind me to eat which was a help. I should have consumed more though. Race food 5-10min in 1 gel pack, 45 min in 1/2 no-bake cookie, 1.5 hr in 1 no-bake cookie, 2.25 hr 1 gel pack, 2.5 hr in 1/2 no-bake cookie, 3 hr in 1/2 no-bake cookie. I drank 3 0.5 liters of blue gator-aid diluted slightly with water also drank diluted 3 liters of poweraid from hydropack. My left glute started to hurt towards the end of the first lap. My left elbow also started hurting about 1.5 laps in.

Set higher minimum on HRM possibly around 134. Eat more food on bike...maybe more gels, or powerbars??? Have to do some trial with this in training. My pace for this course was under par compared to the other 1/2 IM (18mph) that I ran that had more hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Harder to rack bike when you are one of the last ones in. Starting the race there was 7 other bikes on my rack and there were that many when I racked my bike. Some of my stuff was scattered from other racers.

...hrm...possibly go faster on the swim and run so I would have room to rack my bike
Run
  • 1h 55m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was bearable compared to unbearable the last 1/2IM. The temps were alot cooler and the course was easier. I felt alot fresher coming off the bike (possibly because of better eating or less effort). I did use my HRM to limit myself on the first lap (~6.5 mi) but didn't the second (with the thought that I was going to speed up on the second lap.) I walked the water stations and walked twice in the second lap for side cramps. I at 1/4 of a powerbar on the run and took in atleast 1/2 of a cup of fluids per aid station (every 2 miles). I attempted to hold a cadence of 90 in an effort to keep my mind off the pain and to keep my up my speed. I did this even when my hrm was beeping at me by shortening my stride.

Eat a little in the last 5 miles of the bike and on the run. Gel packs could have helped my energy level a little. It would have been nice to have more fluids to wash down the power bar when eating it. Maybe more races would help also.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jogging and walking 10-15 minutes. Stretching. VERY COLD shower, and more stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not large enough base built after injury, no speed work in training (except for wednesday run with guys), proficiency in swimming. Holding self back with HRM on bike and 1st lap of run may have helped my time but it could have also hindered it???

Event comments:

Every HFP race I have been to has been organized well and this is no exception. Only organizational problem was that there were too many bikes on my rack. This race would be a good first race for either 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full IM distances because of the flatness, volunteers and multiple lap format.

Last updated: 2004-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:23 | 2000 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Below average
didn't hit start button on watch until second lap...27:34 for second lap so the first one was 23:49. Second lap HRM said 148 bpm.
Suit: Vortex full
Course: Upside-down triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:16:05 | 56 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/12
Performance: Below average
HRM = 147 Used HRM and slowed down when it started beeping (and sped up on the low side). Settings were 128-161 bpm.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Pretty flat course with wind. It was a 2 lap pseudo-trapezoid so in some areas there was strong tail wind while there were strong cross and head wind in others. There were only a few minor hills which I lost ground on each.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:55:40 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Performance: Average
0-2mi 16:47 157bpm (8:24) 2-4mi 16:53 158bpm (8:27) 4-6mi 17:18 159bpm (8:39) 6-8mi 17:08 158bpm (8:35) 9 mi 9:32 153 bpm 10mi 9:33 150 bpm 11mi 9:06 156 bpm 12mi 9:01 153 bpm 13.1 10.28 158bpm
Course: Flat course with some running in grass. Most of course on pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %??
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-20 11:16 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: Deercreek pineman

2004-09-20 7:07 PM
in reply to: #64061

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: Deercreek pineman

Great Job Craig, Glad to see your back at it again. I was going to try the mini but I got sick Thursday & Friday so I decided to just skip this one.

Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deercreek pineman Rss Feed