General Discussion Race Reports! » Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L" - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Margarita Island,
Venezuela
Fundaventura
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 57s
Overall Rank = 89/180
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Swim
  • 43m 45s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Jumped in and found no feet to draft off, so I went at my pace. Took it way too easy.

Lap 1 (21:02)
Lap 2 (23:43)

Lost focus a bit in the second lap.
What would you do differently?:

Determine, prior to race day, my intended pace. I could have and should have swum faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Good T1, taking into account that it was a long distance from the water to the bikes.

Learn that shoe on the bike thingy, but in longer races that doesn't really matter.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 1s
  • 90 kms
  • 27.27 km/hr
Comments:

I started out the bike at a good pace and was riding along just fine until I got a flat at the beginning of the second lap. It took me nearly 10 minutes to fix it because I couldn't find the cause of the puncture, so I removed the tire liner, and once I found the culprit, a little piece of metal, I had a bit of difficulty reincorporating the tire liners. Inflating the tire with my hand pump also took some considerable time.

I got back on the bike and rode off at the intended pace, not trying to make up for lost time, thinking that if I did try, I would be fried for the run because it was so freaking hot.

Still, the heat/wind/hills felt right up my alley. I wasn't fast, but felt good.

Ride with a metal detector.

Seriously, however, I should get some CO2 cartridges. I also think I need to upgrade my bike.

The pace and effort were right on. It sucks to get a flat though; I hadn't gotten any flats so far this year in training!
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

A surprisingly fast transition. I knew that I was last in my AG by now (no other racked bikes!), so I wanted to try to pick off a couple of guys on the run.

Nothing much.
Run
  • 2h 09m 31s
  • 21.2 kms
  • 06m 07s  min/km
Comments:

This is one hell of a difficult run course.

I felt good and strong for my standards. Passed a lot of people, yet only a couple in my AG. It was funny though for a change since I always get passed more than I actually do pass on the run.

Hit my target run pace for this race. It was important for me to have a good run, regardless of what may have happened in the other two disciplines.

For the time being, nothing much. I do, however, want to run a sub-2hr half mary in a tri...maybe in one not so hilly.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Lack of mental focus. I did the training and had improved my swim times this season, but took it too easy on race day. That 3min difference from my intended pace cost me three spots in my AG at the end of the day.

Bike: I think I'm getting better here. It's about time for an upgrade.

Run: Need to keep at it. It was great to feel strong throughout the run for a change.

Mayde also raced. She came in 4th in her AG, but most significantly, dropped nearly 10 minutes from last year's result and nearly caught me on the bike!

Event comments:

A top-notch event on hard course. I had never wanted to do a HIM before and now, after this experience, have learned to enjoy this distance.

There were talks of this event being preclassified for an M-DOT inspection next year. A few changes have to be made, some more significant than others, but it's definitely the best tri in Venezuela.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:45 | 1900 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:18:01 | 90 kms | 27.27 km/hr
Age Group: 12/13
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:31 | 21.2 kms | 06m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 4/13
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-13 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L"

2007-06-14 2:05 AM
in reply to: #842481

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L"
Congratulations Felix, you're half an ironman

I was terribly worried you were going to hate this distance, but it seems like you're coming around!!

Awesome effort on the bike and the run, but I hope next time you find focus in the swim and stay away from tiny bits of metal!!

Good picture too, you're looking fitter every photo you post!
Enjoy the resting and I look forward to your next HIM.

edited for typos

Edited by Casie 2007-06-14 2:05 AM
2007-06-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: #842481

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Nice race! 2 hour run - ugh! You are inspiring to me.
2007-07-09 7:48 PM
in reply to: #844008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Hey mate, that was a GREAT effort.  Any run in a HIM or IM where you hold 6min/km is a good run.  Especially considering the heat.  It's always worse in a HIM as you're out running during the hottest part of the day.

While planning my "come back", I'm actually considering doing more HIM races than IM.  While it is a great achievement to finish an IM, the amount of work required is just crazy.  I feel like HIM races still allow you to have a bit of a "life" outside of training.  You just may be converted after this one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L" Rss Feed