Columbia Triathlon Association
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 19m 45s
Overall Rank = 964/1170
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 205/231
Pre-race routine:

up at 5 am, had 1,000 cal breakfast: oatmeal, yogurt, pb+j on wheat english muffin and a banana. got gear together and set up transition area. hydrated a bit and nervously got swim stuff together. hit porta john with about 5 min to spare for my wave start.
Event warmup:

none, just got into the water in time for the start... nervously waited for the gun to go off.
Swim
  • 36m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

swim was great! goal was sub 50 min, which i cleared w/o much effort. got one big gulp of nasty salt water but after that ,settled into a nice, steady controlled pace. swam very straight and sighted well. i started back and to the outside and slowly worked my way closer to the 1st turn bouy. worked real well... not too much traffic. there was some bumping around but not too bad. i was completely psyched to get out of the water in 36 minutes, especially since i was taking it easy! i thought the clock was wrong!
What would you do differently?:

nothing. perhaps try some more OWS in practice but it went much better than i anticipated.
Transition 1
  • 05m 46s
Comments:

took my time in Ti b/c i wanted to enjoy this race and was 14 minutes ahead of my goal time at this point. had some water, 1/2 cliff bar and some e-caps, as well as a shot of hammer gel. wanted to be sure i was fueled for the bike.

probably don't need so much nutrition, maybe speed it up a bit for next time. all in all, everything came off/went on well.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

got caught up in the race and went out way too hard... HR was in the upper 160's. my goal was to remain at 140, and bump up to no more than 145 when passing. well, i finally settled in a bit but was at about 155-158 for the first 30 miles. then settled into 150-152 for the remainder. this was a stupid, first HIM race mistake. i got caught up in the race and felt fine, so pushed it more than i should have. this proved to be catastrophic. regardless, for my bike time i was 1 minute faster than what i had anticipated. oh, had 2 cliff bars and 28,24,24 (per/hr)oz of cytomax on the bike. quads started to tighten up into the last 10 miles in the headwind. i could feel that the run was really gonna suck. shoulders were starting to get really tight, and i could feel the forward position (which i'm not used to) really overtaxed my quads.

need to spend a lot more time in aero position... not at all used to it (only had about 70 miles in this position, as i just got the bars a few weeks ago). also just generally need to get a higher base of fitness for the next race. need to drop about 30 lbs too (207 now).
Transition 2
  • 06m 5s
Comments:

again, took my time... drank some water, had more e-caps and some hammer gel. heard the finish of natasha, badass, badmann... un friggen believable! that was awesome to hear! what a monster race! cleaned up a bit and got all my running stuff on and went out of T2.

once i'm more competitive i'll speed things up, but for the 1st race this was just fine.
Run
  • 2h 36m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

what a complete and utter disaster! this made the exxon valdez spill look like no big deal! ugh! big lesson learned for the 1st race... don't go too hard on the bike! my 1st two miles were just about on target at a 9:01 pace (goal was 9 min pace for the run). then into mile three, my quads were quickly filling with lactic acid. by the 3rd mile marker i just had to stop and shake out the muscles. at that point i saw no possible way that i could run 10 more miles... from my years of cycling... as soon as the acid hits, it's over. i managed to make it to the 4 mile marker/aid station and had to take a bathroom break. did that, worked the acid out a bit in the quads again and as a last resort, chugged a coke. i never tried this in my years of cycling... but heard bevan eyles talk about it on one of the podcasts form epic camp. thanks to bevan, this helped me staggar through the rest of the run. i had to walk every 1/4 mile and looked like i was 9 months pregnant with all the soda in my stomach... but it got me to the finish line. it was pure misery until i got the the end where people were cheering and it lifted me up a bit. was proud to finish but really let down that i sucked so bad on the run. my goal was 1:58:00 and i was at 2:36:26. total disaster!

need a much better base of fitness. also need to be better prepped at the beginning of the run... need more patience in the bike section to run effectively.
Post race
Warm down:

staggared like a drunken sailor until i could feel my legs again, about 20 minutes. then just ate some watermelon, a bagel and banana, 2 mountain dews and some water. i was pretty much fine after that, other than the battered ego.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of endurance base, lack of patience on the bike, and lack of time in tri specific bike positioning. also need to drop another 30 pounds.

Event comments:

overall a great experience. well organized and run. the course was as easy as this distance could be. i just didn't pace properly or prepare well enough. food was awesome and all the volunteers were great... without their efforts, we couldn't have raced!

Last updated: 2007-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 160/231
Overall: 981/1170
Performance: Good
hr avg was 152
Suit: blue seventy energie
Course: out 1/2 mile, hard left back towards boat ramp and slight left a hundred or so yards from the ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:55:13 | 56 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 186/231
Overall: 1128/1170
Performance: Below average
avg HR was 154
Wind: Headwind
Course: totally flat loop through wildlife preserve. wind was everywhere, but was a straight headwind for (it seemed like...) most of the last 16 miles. made for a torturous end of the bike leg.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:36:26 | 13.1 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 212/231
Overall: 1261/1170
Performance: Bad
went into the 170's at the start of the run, then was up/down as i walked/jogged like a sloth.
Course: out and back with some winding at the beginning/end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-13 10:14 AM

User image

Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2007-06-15 1:38 PM
in reply to: #842503

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Enjoyed the report -- congrats again!
2007-06-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: #846157

User image

Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
thanks. i'm hoping for a solid hour improvement next year. between better base fitness, weight loss and the experience of this year, that should be do-able, barring weather conditions.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed