United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 31m 46s
Overall Rank = 808/1609
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 148/231
Pre-race routine:

Night before, got to my hotel room and started getting my numbers set up and racebelt ready. I pulled out my swim cap and noticed it was the wrong color,I looked closer at the registration and it had me listed as female...duh, i should have caught this earlier when I noticed My transition was right next to my wifes. I was lucky my friend was still at race site and he was able to change my cap and get me in as a male.

Woke up at 4:15 had breakfast, instant oatmeal. I was bummed because I forgot my normal breakfast of regular oatmeal I was planning on reheating. Went to race site and started to get nervous when I arrived to find that I could not park next to transition like i did last year. (it was full), needless to say, I made it.
Swim
  • 31m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was great. I planned to not stop for anything, I kept chugging along. I got pushed a bit but that was ok. I started a little slow, and it took me a little time to get into the groove. I was siting buoys with no problem and was passing several swimmers in my wave. Once I rounded first buoy I was starting to pass swimmers in wave in front of me. I noticed most of the swimmers in my wave starting slowing at this point but I felt good. When I got out of water I was with a group of guys from wave in front of me, I looked at my watch and exclaimed Holy SH$T! One of the volunteers laughed. I beat last years time by about 9 minutes. I do think the course was short, but I will not complain.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

It was a longer run then last year to get into t1. I was slow due to cramp in calf when I took suit off. This was not one of my better transitions.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good so I stuck with it. I was averaging 22.2 the first 30 or so miles then we hit a slight head wind. I felt great on bike, I ate my power bar which was great, tried by PB&J but i couldn't eat it. Water exchanges were great. I planned hydration perfectly, I was down to a half a bottle when i finished. It is funny the section I struggle with last year was where I wanted to kick but, I guess I did, I went about 4 Mph faster than last year. I did have a problem with spedometer for a mile or two, it just stopped working. It has been doing that more and more, I think it is time for a replacement. I finally have a comparison of performance I knocked off 22 minutes here. I guess that is what a little more training gives you.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

This was a stupid transition. I stopped in Port o john and didn't really have to go but I went anyway. Wasted about 1.5 minutes. otherwise it would have been a great t2.
Run
  • 2h 14m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was what totally pissed me off on the race. First 3 miles I was going an 8.5 pace. At mile 4 I grabbed a gel (My major mistake of the race) I brought by own gels and should have just used them. At my 4.5 My stomach was wreaking havoc with me. I had to go to the bathroom right then and there, I would have just went in corn field but the corn was too short, see how bad I had to go...lol, I looked ahead and saw a port o john at mile 5 and struggled to get there...I figure I lost 10 minutes on this section, i made it did my business and restarted the run, at this point i was slower, whenever i stop running for a period of time it is hard for me to get back my momentum. I struggled a bit and was mad, I saw an opportunitiy to break 5:20 fall out of my grasp. I was there, I felt like i had a 1:50 run in but it didn't happen. I think the gel i had may have had caffiene , gave it up a year ago. I also don't train on runs with anything but water. I had the gel and just should have went with what I was used to. Also I think I would have been better just running 9's that the begining, that was a little too fast. I am going to step up the training on my runs now as well as work on the nutrition a bit more.
What would you do differently?:

Not have gels on run or at least wait until about mile 10 or so to have one.
Post race
Warm down:

I just was mad, my run really got me down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stomach issue.

Event comments:

I think the swim course was short.

Last updated: 2006-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 82/231
Overall: 468/1609
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: I think it could have been short, it appeared a bouy was missing.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:38:59 | 56 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 117/231
Overall: 567/1609
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Large loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:14:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 183/231
Overall: 808/1609
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-13 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2007-06-13 10:26 AM
in reply to: #842509

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Hey, look at the positive! You were blazing fast in the water and averaged over 21.1 mph on the bike...I'd kill for speed like that! Nice work. You'll bang out the run next time in less than 2:00. Happy training.
2007-06-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #842534

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Your goal was to be under 6 ....... you CRUSHED that!!!  Imagine what you can do when you don't have gel issues!  Don't get down on yourself, sometimes the body just rebels and there is nothing you can do about it.  Check out my Boston RR to see an example of that.  You just do the best that you can that day and learn from it.

You did get a huge PR, and you nailed the swim and bike!  Put the run in the memory banks and stick to your nutrition plan and you will rock Louisville!!

2007-06-13 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Nice race! Don't be so hard on yourself about the run. Great swim and bike splits and you beat your goal time by 29 min.
2007-06-14 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
You had a kick a** race - make a list of the "what I could have done better" and once it's on paper let it go!! Focus on the awesome swim & bike (and oh yeah, a 10:14 for the run w/ stomach issues is still pretty good!) and let go of the negative. We will see you in Louisville!!! Don't second guess all that time you've put in to your training!
2007-06-15 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Great job -- great day wasn't it?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed