The Running Room/UBC Track and Field
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 23/340
Age Group = 20-24M
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

- DEFINITELY should not have had a celebratory (end of Organic chem) pizza earlier in the day with a buddy!
-Had some water, some Amino vital (tasty electrolyte/amino acid drinky)
Event warmup:

-Ran around, somewhat similar to a kid on Christmas day, being excited about being able to run (IT band injury, couldn't run for about 3 weeks :*(

Run
  • 40m 58s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 06s  min/km
Comments:

So I went out at the front of the pack, probably in about 20th spot, crossing the timing mat about 20 seconds after the gun. I had felt pretty good in my short warm up, and I wasnt getting an irritation or pain from my IT band which was great, considering I'm still seeing a Physio twice a week for it!

The first two kms just soared by and I was feeling pretty good, albeit a little bit dehydrated. This was solved easily at the first water station, as I double fisted the cups of water and downed them in about 1.5947557835 seconds FLAT!

Anywho, continued on at a nice comfortable pace to the 5km marker where I saw a fellow master's swimmer (who set a swim course record at the Oliver Half Iron!) who was running in the 5km race. I noticed many of the people on the side of the course were just staring at people who went by, uttering very little encouragement, but then there were of course the super supportive people who were just SO EXCITED you were racing!!

It's nice to feel loved once in awhile :)

So it's about 7km and I get the worst cramp up my left side I have EVER had. It was an instant walking situation to get rid of it, which I did after about 1.5 minutes of walking (seemed like a lifetime). To get my placing back I just booted it until about 9km where a guy was telling me "GO GO GO DUDE, YOU'RE GONNA BREAK 40!!".

Now, as you can read on my other race report for the Sun Run, I went in the high 30s, so I wasn't too excited about breaking 40, but because of my IT band issue, this seemed EXTREMELY rewarding, so I tried to boot it.

Then, as I reach the finish line, I hear "There was a clock malfunction and the time on the board is 45 seconds slower then it reads"

DAMN

Oh well, maybe next time :P

What would you do differently?:

-Drink more water prior to racing
-Not injure my IT band :(

Post race
Warm down:

-Walked around, drank TONS of wa-wa!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-It band :( I hate injuries

Event comments:

-It was great! The UBC track and cross country team were doing concession and stuff, and I knew a bunch of them from when I swam Varsity, nice to talk to them!

Last updated: 2007-06-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:58 | 10 kms | 04m 06s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 23/340
Performance: Good
Course: -Right through the heart of the UBC campus! Lots of turns to make it two 5k loops, but it was fun! -Water stations every 2.5 km
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes