United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 02m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Like always.. wake up ate some breakfst and drove to the race, about 1 hour away.. The morning looked promising... not hot a little of overcast, perfect running weather.
Event warmup:

Nothing... I thought with a 50 K ahead of me, anyting I am running will be toward finishing that race..
Run
  • 6h 02m
  • 31.25 kms
  • 11m 35s  min/km
Comments:

This is by far the most beautiful trail I have been.. Trails were wide and well kept.. It was beautiful Started slow since I knew I was going to spend quite a bit of time there. Run the flats but had to walk the inclines.
There were about 200 people but the majority were doing shorter distances. I had signed for the 29K but when I got to there I decided to go for the big cajuna.. the full 50K.

This particular course feautures 4 river crossings... The same river to be crossed at different times during the race. The water level was at my waist and it was such a good refresher. I knew of the river crossings so I greased my feet pretty good to avoid getting blisters. I am happy to report that it did work. I did not get any blisters and my shoes got clean. However I had some chaffing on my nipples.. aggg!! I hate that..

Lots of people, and I really like the ultra running culture. These people are polite, well manered, and much much much less competitive that us (triatletes). Great run, I really enjoyed my time in the mountain today.

Trail runs are definitly a different animal, they are tough, but they are so beautiful.. I love them. When I run them I think that 99% of the population has no idea what is up there in the trails, being up there enjoying the view is simply a blessing.

I was stuck behind these two people on horses and the stupid horses keep farting. They were walking and definitly not fast enough, finally there was a clearing where they stood and I could pass them.. I was relieved that I could pass them and stop smelling their farts... :)

What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

streched.... drove.... ate....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothings, I think I dod good today..

Event comments:

Thank you to pacific trails in SF..

Last updated: 2007-06-16 12:00 AM
Running
06:02:00 | 31.25 kms | 11m 35s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run with 5000 feet of elevation gain (see my blog for profile). Beautiful mountains in Santa Cruz..
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-16 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: Santa Cruz Ultra 50K

2007-06-16 11:51 PM
in reply to: #847185

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Santa Cruz Ultra 50K
That sounds like a awesome race. You have me wanting to do it. 50k trail run just sounds like nothing but fun.

Plus you deliriousness is funny.

Keep up the good work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Cruz Ultra 50K Rss Feed