General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sandy Hookers 1st Long Branch Race 2 weeks away Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-17 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ
Subject: Sandy Hookers 1st Long Branch Race 2 weeks away
This will be my first race since my shoulder dislocation & surgery last year.  I have been really slow to get back into my training SLACKER that I am.  But now I am starting to get my but in gear.  Let me know if any other BT'ers are going to be there.  It's a great brick workout and the run along the boardwalk is a real nice way to end a race.

2007-06-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: #847693

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sandy Hookers 1st Long Branch Race 2 weeks away

I'll be there with 2 of my co-workers, both of whom are faster than me!  Me and you, we can rock out the BOP  

(thanks for the support in the NJ State Tri thread, by the way!)

Are you planning on wearing a wetsuit?  I think the water is going to be frikkin cold (!!) but my pals are trying to convince me that it's not gonna be that bad, the swim isn't that long, wetsuits are $$ etc...

2007-06-20 12:51 PM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ

Cool, I hope to see you there.  I will be towards the back. 

Last year I did the race in tri-shorts and the water was shockingly cold.  Today I just got my wetsuit from Ebay, so I will be using it for this race.  I usually spend just under 10 minutes in the water.  Once you get past the first 2 minutes you become kinda numb to the cold.

2007-06-21 7:02 PM

Veteran
I'll be there! I am very nervous about the ocean swim. I guess when I am at the beach with the summer camp I work at this week I'll have to dive in and do a few laps.
2007-06-21 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ

Last year was my first season and I found a lot of people nervous about the swim.  Many people just want to get through the water part and their race starts when they are on the bike.  They have a life guard out their and buoys to hang on to if you need a break.  The official triathlon rule is you can always rest on something and still be in the race.  You would only be out if the life guard moved you toward the finish.  The trick is to find a nice comfortable rhythm.  If you need to rest by  switching to breast stroke do that.  The water is pretty calm once you get past a couple of small breakers.  Enjoy it, it will be fun. 

They start you in waves about 5 minutes apart.  It is usually 3 or 4 depending on the size of the crowd.  The faster swimmers go in the earlier waves I usually go in the last wave.  Wave 2 or 3 is usually reserved for women only.  Let me know if you want to meet up down there, we can figure out something.  If not have fun, push on and drive home proud.

2007-06-25 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Scotch Plains, NJ
This was my first tri last year as well. Ocean water can be hit or miss depending on the wind. If there is a west wind for a day or two, the warm water gets blown out to sea and there is upwelling of cold water that comes to the surface. I would say bring a wetsuit and make a descision race day. Your bouancy is incredible in a suit - so if you have any fears, get one and you'll see that you float like a raft even if you get tired. I was nervous about the swim as well and I have been a surfer for years. Once you get going and get your breath in a rythym - it's a natural thing. Most triathletes are not swim focused, so you are not alone. Remember that. These races are the best too.....mostly begginers! You'll feel the love. See you there!

2007-06-25 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
Manassas, VA
It'll be my second Tri ever, if I make it. My wife just had our third daughter, so my motivation to train has been quite slack. I'm wait and see, but I hope to do it.

I am much more comfortable in the ocean than a lake. I HATE touching bottom in a lake, so I'll tend to swim in even 2ft of water. Too many Mike Myers and summer camp horror stories as a kid. Don't know why Jaws never bothered me. Ocean water gives much more buoyany too.

Water temp last weekend was high 60's. Chilly but comfortable after a bit. Kpace is right - if the wind blows offshore for a time, upwelling will drive that temp down FAST.
2007-06-28 7:12 AM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ

Congrats on the new daughter.  Good luck with the training, as a father of 3 myself I know that is a busy time of life with a newborn in the house.

If anyone want to meet up I will be standing by the part of the boardwalk that overlooks the water.  It's just to the left of the stairs we will be walking down and it is where we gather up for instructions.  I will wear a T-Shirt with a big BT (fashioned from tape) on it so I will be easy to spot.  After you set up your bike and transition area come on over and say hi.

Best regards

Charlie

2007-06-29 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

good luck to all of you.

wish i could be there!

2007-06-29 5:42 PM

Veteran
I just read that email, over 200 people. This little spring training series has more people than the first tri I did.
2008-05-30 8:40 PM

User image

Hi Everyone!

I am a new member..well actually I've been lurking for the past 2-3 months=)

Sounds like alot of fun! I'm doing the short version on the 15th as well. I just reserved a suit the other day and I'm ready to go.

Officially, this will be my first triathlon so I am a bit nervous. I figured it would be a good venue to get all the kinks out before the olympic distance tri I'm scheduled to do in July.

How early should I plan to be there? I will be coming all the way from NYC.

Best,
Roberto

2008-06-03 8:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
I will be there and plan on wearing my wetsuit. I think this year they are going to do something new with the starts. Not sure of the exact details. You might want to get early because transition fills up fast. There is a short and long, it's relaxed and self timed. Have fun, really!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sandy Hookers 1st Long Branch Race 2 weeks away Rss Feed