General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sykesville, Maryland
United States
JOANNA M. NICOLAY MELANOMA FOUNDATION
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 24s
Overall Rank = /400
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there early. Protein bar 1 1/2 he before race with a little water.
Event warmup:

None. Should have, but I had been sick the week before and didn't want to feel low energy before the race and be discouraged.
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt great. Water was a little cold compared to what I normally swim in, but I acclimated quickly once I got started.
What would you do differently?:

More practice to be more efficient. This was as fast as I could hope for right now. Went well. Lost a few seconds when they told me 1 more lap 1 lap too soon, but I only lost like 10 seconds getting started again.
Transition 1
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

No problems.

Nothing, went really well.
Bike
  • 51m 26s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Very hilly.

Figured out literally 2 minuted before we had to clear the transition area that my back break was out. Cable problem I couldn't fix. So, I used the front very carefully. Very disconcerting, I was afraid of flipping if I used the front too hard, tried to anticipate and keep up speed. Had to stop once, velcro from shoe was hitting big chain ring. After 15 minnuted of this, I thought I had a problem. With no breaking, I figured I had to nip it before it became a big problem. Took a rubber band from the aerodrink and wrapped it around my foot. Worked great, only lost like a minute or two.
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Went well.

Nothing.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt like jelly. Actually felt numb. I though they would come back during the run and I would get my wind, but I never did.

Not get a cough and chest congestion the week before the race. Felt constricted during the run because I couldn't get in enough air. Felt lower energy levels than usual.
Post race
Warm down:

Stop at the end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Coughing.
No back breaks.

Event comments:

Well run. Friendly workers. Nice course. Saw a couple of people had the same problem I had wit the swim where the counter on 1 side said they were on the last lap and the person at the other said 1 more. I guess it gets pretty boring counting laps like that endlessly. Wonderful race full of friendly people. Talked before the race with several people nearby in the bike corrals. Very hilly, made it interesting. Great 1st race. Plan to do it again.

Last updated: 2007-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 437 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Good
Suit: saucony tri suit
Course: Staggered start in pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:26 | 14 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
160 average, a little high.
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly in the last 1/2. Econway's thread before the race was right on, keeping speed (35-37 mph downhill) was key to making it up huge hills. Passed 12, passed 3x. Saw several people who were sto[pping to walk up the hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:34 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
176 average.
Course: 1st 1/2 uphill, 2nd half downhill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-17 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2007-06-18 10:09 AM
in reply to: #847764

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Nice job out there!

You did an excellent job, even with a lingering illness, no rear brakes, and the problems with lap counters. Overcoming all the problems the arise in a race and still finishing strong is what makes you a great triathlete. Well Done!

I'll see you there next year! I really do enjoy this race. It's a challenging course in a friendly and positive environment, entirely run by volunteers (hence the problems w/ lap counters), and it raises money for good causes (melanoma foundation and the SCSC swim team). I'm glad that you plan to do it again.

2007-06-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: #848515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Econway:
Thanks for the kinds words. Your heads up before hand was crucial. I saw right away about the 3 different parts of the course you described. Looking back, I should have attacked the 1st part to try to gain a little time there, because the ohter parts would be tough to gain much time on. What really helped me was your comment about maintaining speed to get up those huge hills. How true. Saw people really having trouble on the big ones who did not build enough speed. That would have been me. You were not kidding about the 40 mph downhills. Knowing that before the ride saved me from freaking out, to the point I actually tried to gain some speed after the first big one. I spent some time on those uphills out of the saddle, but so did everybody else I saw. I wasn't really ready for the run after such a hilly bike ride. I can now sympathize with people who tell stories about Columbia and those hills.
I look forward to doing this one again and joining you in making a push to raise money. Looking back, that is the one thing I will do differently, really try to raise some donations and not just do the race. Awesome idea. Puts all this in perspective.
You are right about the volunteers. They were great. This was my first tri, and seeing how much they really matter to do one of these races makes me want to volunteer. Maybe Annapolis, that's right down the street, and I want to do one of the races at the beach instead. Those volunteers were as friendly and cheerful as any I have expereinced. Great, family friendly environment. Very well put on.
Thanks for the help before the race on the site.
What's next for you?

2007-06-19 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Hey man - congrats on the FIRST tri (why didn't I know that?!?).  Sounds like a good day, overall.  Heck - if everything had gone perfectly that would have only given you a false sense of security for future races.  Like Eric suggested - overcoming the unplanned and unavoidable snafus is what really makes the race meaningful.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-06-19 7:13 AM
2007-06-19 7:26 AM

Pro
yep,

Very nice job on your first tri.  Chose a tough hilly course for your first race.  Still great job on the placement.  Bummed out I wasn't able to do the race this year but will definately do it next year. 

COngrats 

2007-06-22 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hey Frank,

Way to go!  I think your race was awesome in spite of your problems.  I think you did a fantastic job trouble shooting and taking the stuff in stride and overcoming.  Isn't that what triathloning is all about?  I think your swim and run times are great and your bike will only get better when the kinks get worked out.  You should be proud of your first race.  You did a great job!

Tara

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed