United States
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 04m 21s
Overall Rank = 148/155
Age Group = CLYD
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

Set up Transition area as normal but this time when checking tire pressure for my front tire, I pulled the valve stem out of the tube and had to rush and change the now very flat tire. Forgot additonal drink for the bike portion and my camelback leaked 1/2 of my water out in my car. All in all it was a rough pre-race, high stress level.
Swim
  • 57m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not sure what happed but the swim took twice as long as normal for me. Besides getting plowed over during the 1st 5 minutes of the swim I'm not sure what happened I just could not get any speed going. Made for a bad start to a rough day fo racing

Note: BT is representing: photos on the bottom, third photo is blow up of 2nd photo, I'm in the center back, dhyte(my brother) is on my right, and sfraleyiii is on my left.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Pretty big, steep hill (boat ramp) out of the lake, my calves were burning just running up the ramp
Bike
  • 1h 49m 52s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 13.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out real strong on the bike, at about mile 18 two spokes on my rear tire broke. Tried to push on but the spokes pierced my tube and it went flat. Came very close to not finishing, the BIG DNF. The support truck actually stopped by me with 2 other riders who where done for the day. I refused the ride to DNF and proceeded to change my tube and wrap the broken spokes around the none broken ones( so they would be clear for the big to tire to spin). The rear tire was really out of true and won't spin easy due to rubbing but I pushed on. Broke another spoke about 1 mile down the road, which went into my rear derailleur, and now the gears won’t change right but I wrapped that spoke and finished the ride at a mean 10mph max. I came in dead last on the ride, BUT I DIDN'T QUIT.
What would you do differently?:

Time to buy better wheels.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

uneventfull t2
Run
  • 1h 08m 51s
  • 5 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went relatively smooth. the hills made it tough and slow but I felt good during the run.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on the hills. Keep building my base/ speed
Post race
Event comments:

This was the 1st race event this group put on at this location and it showed. I think the weather-complicated issues but the general consensus is that the race was very confusing and disorganized. As an example, the lap-turn a rounds where in the same place as the finishers and this made for a very confused crowd. The transition area was also not closed and people milled about making it hard to get to your stuff. The people where great and very supportive the bugs just need to be ironed out.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:38 | 1500 meters | 03m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 155/155
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out to a bouy then 2 laps around some other bouys
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:49:52 | 24.8 miles | 13.54 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back 2 times on a very hilly road.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:51 | 05 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Had to walk the steep parts of the hills. It looked like most people that I saw walked/ power walked these hills.
Course: out and back on some really monster hills. The course was shortened due to bad weather closing the trail run portion of the run. Figures it hasn't rained in months but then it rains in 55gal drums the night before / morning of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2004-09-21 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: TRI-Family Lake Pleasant OLY

2004-09-21 12:40 PM
in reply to: #64610

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: RE: TRI-Family Lake Pleasant OLY
Way to tough it out. Learning experiences like that make you better in the long run. You showed some great mental toughness.
2004-09-21 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Aren't you glad you stuck it out and finished! Good for you. To finish an Olympic is quite a feat in itself nevermind wresting a bike tire, & broken bike! You ROCK!
2004-09-22 4:09 PM

New user

Tucson, AZ
Great Job! I have to get around to writing up this race, too, but I forgot to start my stopwatch and I'm still waiting for them to post the results. Definitely one of the more challenging courses in the state. As I was driving out to the lake through the thunder, lightning, and torrential downpour I kept saying to myself, "There's no way their going to do this thing." Ha!
2004-09-23 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Way to tough it out. The course is difficult. I've also heard the swim was long by about 250m. I rode the bike course 3 times in the last month and half and chickened out on this one.

The shorter racers put on by Tri-Family Racing are pretty well organized, well at least the ones I've done at GCC. I plan to do the Halloween tri and Casa Grande.

Congratulations!
2004-09-23 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Damned impressive. Kudos to you!

-Frank

2004-09-23 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Yes WTG JC....fyi, I have it from good authority that your swim was not a 1500 but 2000....don't know if you wanted that info or not but I think you should feel very proud about getting through that swim.

How in the world did you ever figure out that you should tape your spokes to others....I think I would've quit lol...WTG!!!
2004-09-23 12:40 PM
in reply to: #65608

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

BUT I DIDN'T QUIT

Awesome, absolutely awesome. May I suggest a new user name of Tri_MacGuyver?

2004-09-23 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Thanks all for the kind words.

A guy on the support truck picking up people with issues on their bike suggested when I won't get in the truck to try and secure the spokes, So I took his adviceand wrapped them around good ones to keep them out of the way. You should see the wheel now it looks like it got ran over by a a truck.

Hearing that the swim was more like 2000 makes me feel a little better about my swim time, Thanks for that info.
2004-09-27 4:04 PM

User image

Arizona
WE DID IT!!!! Good job, John. I finally got back in the water today and my body was screaming. Talk to you soon. Scott
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI-Family Lake Pleasant OLY Rss Feed