West Kennebunk Fire Department
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 3s
Overall Rank = 20/74
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Ate the standard three pieces of toast w/PB. Realiezed that I forgot my goggles so I bought a new pair. Also forgot a towel so I ut my stuff down on the shirt. Walked the 1/2 mile to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Swam about a 100 yards or so to get acclimated to the ocean. It was pretty chilly but you were in for a while it felt fine.
Swim
  • 28m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still a very weak point for me. I tried to go fast. I thought I was navigating well. I thought my performance would be better as I was more spent coming out of the water than any previous race. Drafting was bad as I tried to pick up feet, but I'd lose them pretty quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Not much during the race. I just need to focus in on this event. It is certainly my weakest. Also, I forgot to take ecaps before the race. That is a no, no for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I can do better than this. My HR was in the 160's and I was a little dizzy. I certainly felt unorganized in T1. I'm going to start practicing with my shoes clipped in and try it at the next race.

Get mentally focused for the race.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I came into this race as a testing and training day. My pre-race goal was to hammer the bike at about 90-95% to see how my body reacted for the run. I was real happy with the results. I didn't get passed on the bike and I was able to keep fairly steady power the entire way. I caught Mike about halfway through the bike and he was looking real strong as he was one of the harder guys to pass. I knew if I had any chance to beat him, I'd have to keep up the bike pace. I also missed a turn which cost my a couple tenths of a mile and maybe 30 seconds or so. On a bumpy downhill I thought it would be a great time to take some ecaps. I hit a bump pretty hard and lost all of the pills as they flew out all over the road. That mistake would haunt me on the run. It was fun to fly by on Main St going around 33 mph!

Only take ecaps and nutrition on slower portions of the course. Follow course direction signs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I almost endo'd the dismount. I wasted a bunch of time racking my bike and getting my socks on. There was now reason for being so slow as I had tons of room for myself. I think practice is in order.

A little re-engineering is in order
Run
  • 37m 52s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

At about 1/2 mile out I rolled my ankle on the edge of the road and made a real loud squeak with my other shoe to get my balance. The funny thing was that it happend right in front of a golf green while a guy was putting. I don't think he was to happy, as he missed his putt. It took me about a mile an 1/2 to settle into my pace and I started picking off people.

At about the mile 3 aid station my right hamstring completly locked up and stopped me dead in my tracks.I didn't even feel it coming on and it came out of nowhere. I hobbled an massaged the heck out of it to try to get walking. At that point Mike passed me and asked if I needed anything. I drank some Gatorade and started running again. It apparently worked itself out because it felt fine the rest of the way. I kept Mike in my sights (about 20 yards away) the final 2.2 miles and thought about a final kick to catch him. But he had plans of a final kick of his own and finished about 30 seconds ahead. Overall, I'm happy with the run especially after a hard paced bike.

Not having my salts killed me late in the race. But, I think it was a very good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around. took lots of fluids

What limited your ability to perform faster:

swimming

Event comments:

It is a great location with pretty ocean and nice houses. It is unfortunate that the turnout. Word from the race directors wife is that if the turnout doesn't improve, they'll have to cancel this event. That would be a real shame as it is a good spot for a race.

This was also my first win so this race will have to go down as one of my favorites.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:58 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 53/74
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Half moon configuration....I think.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:57 | 24.85 miles | 21.62 mile/hr
Overall: 5/74
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Pot holes, jaw rattling bumps and cracks. Pretty flat with lots of turns. One loop.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:37:52 | 05.2 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 21/74
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop. Pretty flat. Nice shady areas and an ocean breeze. A very nice run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri

2007-06-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: #849019

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri

Congrats on the win!!

Yay for not being passed on the bike.  Great job!!

2007-06-18 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats...love that bike pace!!!

Whoop look at the run pace off a hard bike...and you complain about swim but nice pace there too.

How cool to place 1st in your AG!

After my disaster with lack of electrolytes at St. A's I always carry back ups & many extra to avoid cramping...just an idea...as I dropped mine on the bike there too.

I think I need to add this to my lists of maybe races for next year as I like small races.

Edited by KathyG 2007-06-18 3:54 PM
2007-06-19 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Great race Jeff!  I thought for sure you were doing faster than 7:17 on the  run, but that is still smokin' especially coming off the bike performance you had.  You are making really impressive gains, especially on the bike and the run. If this keeps up, you wont have to worry about me running you down.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Kennebunk Fire Olympic Tri Rss Feed