Setup Events, Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 24s
Overall Rank = 131/134
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 a.m....took a quick shower and got ready. Ate a bagal with cream cheese and a banana. Checked out of the hotel and headed over to the park around 6:20.
Event warmup:

Walked around, looked around to borrow a working bicycle pump (I forgot mine) and set up transition area, then debated on use of wetsuit after hearing that the water temp was 76 degrees.
Swim
  • 22m 43s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

While I wanted to wear my wetsuit for the first time in a race, I realized quickly that I need more OWS swim practice in a wetsuit. I generally never panic in the water but I haven't been training in the pool as much as I should and the wetsuit tightness around my chest really affected my ability to swim the course. I went out too fast and got caught up in the washing machine of swimmers and panic ensued.

Honestly, I felt like calling it a day before I hit the first bouy but I kept telling myself to keep going. I saw others floating on the their backs and I thought I can at least do breast stroke and slow down and still get there and that's what I did.....after I got rid of the panic and shortness of breath, I got a side stich.....after the side stich, I started to experience leg cramps in each calf....I kept going.

Overall...the swim sucked but I stuck it out and I'm glad I did.....I think it was a good wake up call to train more and I learned a lot for future races.
What would you do differently?:

Train more in pool, do more OWS with and without wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

What was I doing for 4 min and 10 seconds?...didn't feel like that long. I was probably recovering from the swim. Also, I struggled to get off the wetsuit, other than that the transition went as planned. I had everything organized and laid out as needed.

Practice taking off wetsuit as part of transition practice.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 39s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 12.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a rough start for me at first. I really wasn't feeling too great after the swim and most of the transition area was empty when I entered ....I got my bike and sucked it up. It felt good to get out of the park and get up the first big hill. I calmed down and tried to get into a rhythm. The rest of the ride went pretty well.

I could have handled the turns better. I usually ride in Rock Creek Park and don't have a lot of turns so I haven't had a lot of practice. I was much better in my bike handling this year than last year. I rode down on the hoods and changed gears as necessary to keep my legs from getting worn out.

I descended the hills well and dismounted pretty well. Dismount was at the bottom of a hill by the lake. I was a little nervous manuevering that with clipless pedels but I unclipped one foot at the top of the hill and was able to land safely when I stopped at the bottom.

Keep training and working on bike skills. Need more practice cornering and working on turns.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Picked up my running shoes, put on my visor and ran with my race belt out of the transition area. Again I was intimidated by the lack of people in the transition area. It was apparent that many racers had already finished the entire race......I just kept going.

Keep moving.
Run
  • 51m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 16m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Very tough run for me plus I didn't drink enough on bike and paid the price. With only one water stop, there was little I could do about that. I don't do well in the heat and hills are generally my hardest obstacle. Like the rest of the race, I kept going. I figured if I could put one foot in front of the other, then I could still finish.

The race was described as having a completly flat run...and this was far from it. It was slightly encouraging to see really fit runners having difficulty on the course as well....at least I wasn't the only one. I tried to run more but the heat and lack of water really limited me. Next time, I will bring my water running bottle that I usually take in the heat and/or on hilly runs......

Again, I thought about giving up and not finishing. I was embarrassed about my probable last place finish.....but then again I thought it would be better to finish then to quit and so that's what I did.

Keep running, keep practicing, and more bricks!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank, Drank and drank some more. I felt really overheated and gross. I had some smoothies to cool down. Couldn't eat anything else. Felt a little light headed but felt better after a Coke. Tougher recovery than I have experienced in other races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, challenging course, self-doubt, dehydration, weight and lack of training.

My heart rate monitor indicated that I hit 101% of my maximum heart rate and my average heart rate was 170 (91% of my max). I felt that I at least pushed myself pretty hard even though I'm a slowpoke.

Event comments:

Really great race support from my husband, Jimbo..it was really nice to have him as a spectator instead of co-competitor this time. He took some vidoe, lots of pictures and was encourageing along the way. He was also quick to my aid at the end when I desparately needed some water.....THANKS! :)

I like the course and the race even though its challenging. Future competitors should note that the run isn't flat! :)

Last updated: 2007-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:43 | 750 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 124/134
Performance: Below average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular Course around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:39 | 15.5 miles | 12.98 mile/hr
Overall: 113/134
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A large hill at beginning but otherwise small rolling hills. 2 Loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:37 | 03.11 miles | 16m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 129/134
Performance: Average
Heart Rate right around 170-176 for the entire run
Course: Hills, Hills and more hills. 2 loops.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Little Pepper 2007

2007-06-18 11:19 PM
in reply to: #849815

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Little Pepper 2007
way to go!!! you did a great job toughing and sweeting it out to the end---you put out more effort than i ever do. i'm glad i was able to be your race support (and not racing after seeing those hills!).

3 Sports Tri is gonna be a piece of cake
2007-06-19 6:26 AM

...I figured if I could put one foot in front of the other, then I could still finish...

I LOVE this quote!

You should be so proud for continuously making the decision to finish. It *WAS* a tough course for heat, hills and also lack of water on the run. Agreed. It's the first race where I haven't grabbed water for the run and kind of wished I'd had it, too. I took Father's Day from my husband (Lcsolutions), too - hubbies make great jockstraps when it's not their race day.

Sorry I missed you at the race. GREAT job...seriously. Maybe I'll see you at RYKA! Congratulations on your finish.

2007-06-19 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to hang tough!!!   It takes so much courage to stay in the game when it's not easy and you made it through to the end.  It sounds like this course was really challenging and the temperature was definately not in your favor.  All your hard work will pay off with a better race next time.
2007-06-19 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Great job, Noony! Glad you stuck with it through the tougher swim.
2007-06-20 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Thank you for all of the wonderful replies.  I really appreciate it.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little Pepper 2007 Rss Feed