5430 Sports Corp.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 07m 30s
Overall Rank = 167/1171
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/124
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4. Two cups of coffee, and a bagel with peanut butter. Packed up and left the house at 4:45 to get to Boulder by 5:30. On the way up, drank a 20 oz bottle of Perpetuem, about 2 scoops. Got all set up super quick, hit the PortaPotty (no lines that early!), and took the bike out for a quick little spin through all the gears. Everything perfect! Switched it up into a 10 min jog, got in some nice stretching beforehand. In transition, ate a banana and a Go Fast about 30 min prior to start. After visiting with some Polar peeps, Tri Club peeps, and others, I headed down to the beach around 7:10 to warmup. Slammed a Hammer Gel, swam about 10 minutes and got ready to rock!
Swim
  • 15m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Jesus - could NOT break free of the crowd! Seemed like I was fighting the entire way, so my breathing was a little erratic, but not bad overall. Hell - it was a 18 minute swim last year, so 15 and change is pretty good I think.
Came out of the water and couldn't get the goddam zipper down on my suit, so I ran up the hill in full battle gear! Walked a few steps, yanked the shit out of it and got it finally. cost me a whopping 8 seconds!
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Kickass T1...got a great running jump-on-the-bike start! Felt like a total badass :)
Bike
  • 44m 55s
  • 17 miles
  • 22.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike today! Drank some Powerbar Endurance every 10 minutes, kept the cadence high, and got passed by only 3 people! I was flying, having a good time, but also trying to stay in check and not burn out before my run. i had more to put out there, but I'm trying to be a bit cautious with that, and I think it paid off. HammerGel about 10 minutes before the start of my run.
What would you do differently?:

Hell, 91st out of 1171...not sure I could do anything differently -- I'm pretty damn happy with that!
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I always love T2 - got the feet on top of my shoes, pedaling in all sweaty and lookin sweeeet! Then the fancy leg swing over the top bar so I have the running dismount - nailed that bitch!! Running towards my rack, my legs felt stellar, and I knew I was going to have a good run.
Run
  • 23m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Running out of T2, I felt very strong. Cranked up the hill at the beginning, and let the flats be my recovery from that. First mile split was 6:51 (assuming the aid station was mile 1). Cadence was nice and high, around 90, energy felt good, HR was in mid Zone 3, so not too high. Slammed the turnaround and picked it up for the run back. That was going well until about the last half mile, when I started to run out of steam a bit. Stomach started getting a little bit pissy with me too, and it affected my final kick. But overall, I was shooting to break 24 min, and I did, so again -I'm happy!
What would you do differently?:

Pace it a little more evenly to allow for more kick at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Um....stop running. Get beer. Cheer on other peeps and girlfriend!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I'm not fast :)

Event comments:

I love this series - they do an incredible job, and I have to say I have no complaints at all!

Last updated: 2007-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:48 | 880 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/124
Overall: 436/1171
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:13
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:55 | 17 miles | 22.71 mile/hr
Overall: 91/1171
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat, couple of rollers and some nice steady downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:14 | 03.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 228/1171
Course: Flat, except for a tiny hill right at the start. Fucking hot out there...almost hit a snake!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-19 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Denver, CO (Cheeseman Park area)
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2007-06-19 1:08 PM
in reply to: #850443

User image

Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Look at you all fancy with your flying mounts and dismounts! Kick swim too.

2007-06-19 6:17 PM
in reply to: #850443

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
Nice race.  You almost hit a snake on the run?  Of all things to encounter that would have messed me up the most!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed