General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new...here and in triathalons Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-22 3:58 PM

User image

Madison, WI
Subject: I'm new...here and in triathalons
Just getting started training for triathalons. There are a couple of guys at my gym that train for and compete in the ironman (both qualified for Hawaii). They have been helpful and inspirational.
I am a good swimmer, avearge cyclist and a poor runner.
I spent several years powerlifting and for the last several I have been primarily focused on racquetball and golf. I know, not a good segue into triathalons.
My biggest challenges will be losing weight and muscle. I have retained a large portion of the muscle I gained while weight training, unfortunately.
This web site has been very helpful so far but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to completely rework my physique. Any help would be appreciated.

What the heck, here is my master plan:
summer 2005: 2 sprint distance triathalons, 1 olympic distance
summer 2006: 1 sprint, 1 olympic, 1 1/2 ironman
summer 2007: 1 olymip, 1 1/2 ironman, ironman madison, WI

That's it so far. Good luck to everyone.

“The highest reward for a person’s toil is not what they get for it but what they become by it.”
John Ruskin

2004-09-22 7:07 PM
in reply to: #65251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: I'm new...here and in triathalons
Welcome Michael!!! You have great goals ahead of you!!! I think training for tri's will naturally tailor your physique to one that will be tri-friendly, but that's just my opinion. You'll probably want to tone down the muscle, as you alluded to. But like I said, that will probably happen naturally.

Best of luck on you future Tri goals, and welcome to the site!!!
2004-09-22 11:34 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome..i agree, as you back of the heavy lifting and train more for endurance, your body will adapt and evolve.  it may take some time...u have powerlifted for several years, it may take the same amount to get to where you want to be.  you will get cut-up too.

good luck.

2004-09-22 11:35 PM

User image

Gilbert, Az
Good luck...
I'm new to triathlons as well and am not an expert but because of how much more I'm eating to keep weight on...I expect your physic will transition as your muscle structure changes for endurance.
2004-09-24 12:39 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome!  You are a planner!  I'm impressed that you have a 3 year plan.  Good luck with training and racing!
2004-09-24 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Mississippi
welcome to the site. i am sure you can give some useful information in many areas. you are lucky to know some people close by that are qualifying for the IM Hawaii. i would stick close to them to get great tips! don't forget to tell us the tips as you receive them!!! haha

2004-09-24 9:52 AM

User image

Madison, WI
Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and warm welcome.

A funny side note. I went for a quick lunch at a Culver's (kinda like McDonalds only not as healthy ;-)). As I was leaving I passed one of the ironman competitors from my gym. He was out for his noon 10 mile run, I was out for my noon 2000 calorie lunch. Kind of an eye opener.

I have started using the training log and the first thing I noticed while reviewing this weeks training was my diet. It's not good. I suppose I should change my "challenges" to eating right. Fortunately the training log does not allow me to conveniently forget snacks or fast food.

I should have my gold membership as soon as I can find where my wife hid my credit card. That was not a joke.

Thanks again.

Edited by Mexpedip 2004-09-24 9:53 AM
2004-09-24 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Welcome! Looks like you have a plan. The next step would be to train for your plan. Then, race your training. See, it's simple All kidding aside, welcome and good luck.

-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new...here and in triathalons Rss Feed